October 20, 2017, 08:35:47 AM

Author Topic: COLD WEATHER GEAR  (Read 3875 times)

Offline NJHUNTER

COLD WEATHER GEAR
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »
Hey all,

I have a ques concerning cold weather gear. I'm not a big fan of spending a S**T load of money just to say that i have the latest gear on the market. Any suggestions on an inexpensive way to keep warm and dry in New Jersey cold and humid weather ? Like i said, i'm not looking to die out there, but i'm not looking to  break my piggy bank either!!

Thanks,

J
Anyone got a tasty recipe for this?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: COLD WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:43:54 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you. Polypropylene(sp) longjohns and mititary surplus wool garments help alot. Dress in lots of thin layers so you can adjust for activity levels and mid-day temp changes.Wool will soak up many times it's weight in moisture(on the order of hundreds of times) and still works even when wet. CAUTION: DO NOT USE IF ON OR NEAR WATER!!! ie waterfowling. IF you get dunked it will drag you to the bottom and keep you there. You might want your outer-most layer to be wind resistant but breathable.
 Surplus M-65 Field jacket and pants with liners in them work well for all but the most brutal conditions and they're reasonably priced especially if you don't mind obviously used ones. Buy over-size camo's and/or hunter orange to wear over them and your good to go.
 A word of advice. The woods is no place for macho B.S. If you are starting to shiver, It's time to get up and move around or get out of the woods to a warm place. Hypothermia is a silent killer and nothing to play with.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:16:25 AM »
I would agree with Mosparky... I also look in the local paper for large rummage sales, church sales, goodwill, etc. Items to look for would be poly, wool and wool blends, nylon, rayon, supplex, silk, etc... anything but COTTON!  The whole idea behind this is to keep your body moisture from soaking your cloths, the materials listed above will wick away your perspiration  keeping you dry and warm.
I usually start with my really thin poly top and bottom, next is a medium weight poly... thats it if its not to cold. I would then wear a light jacket and pants that would help break up any wind. If it was extremal cold I would add a third layer of heavy weight fleece. For my feet I go with a thin nylon sock and then wool. I have a variety of hats to suit the conditions and I use the finger less gloves and baklava. Gators also come in handy in certain conditions... Buy things that fit loose and good luck.
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline NJHUNTER

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:40:11 PM »
Hey folks!

Thank you for the great advice. I was considering body armour as a first layer, a treated (Grangers wash in waterproofing for synthetic fabrics) fleece top and bottom, and maybe some camo fleece top & bottom I saw at Walmart (real cheep!!) Does this sound like a good start? I'm also gonna take a roll to the local surplus store to check out wool pants and other cold weather gear.

This is off topic, but has anyone ever covered their scent with campfire smoke? I remember hiking during a camping trip and came upon a deer. i stopped, but the wind was at my back. he looked straight at me, sniffed at the air and went right back to eating. it wasn't until i started to move that he looked at me again and bolted. I was about 15 yards from him. I was just curious if anyone used smoke to mask their scent.

Thanks,

J

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »
We wear military dark BDU issued garb at work, and matching military field jackets. We are also issued dark Carhart bibs, which have light insulation but do a pretty good job of stopping the wind. I was gonna type breaking the wind, but we would be off-topic here, for some readers. ;DMost of us wear the regular high combat boots, but our footgear is pretty much up to us when it's really cold, as long as it's closely matching our issued gear.  Layers is the secret. I wear longjohns, artic rated, with a black cotton turtleneck sweatshirt (permitted) under my BDU blouse (shirt) and a hooded sweatshirt under my field jacket, if it's really cold. I have a pair of quilted longjohns I wear over the artic longjohns pants, and then wear the BDU pants over all that.  Being stuck outside like we are quite a bit, we have to dress for it. Our Carhart bibs are for really extreme cold and have to be worn over layers because of the thin insulation of the bibs. Wednesday night we had an outside drill that lasted about 2 hours. It was pretty cold, and only a few of us were actually dressed for it. I was dressed for it, of course. Old dogs know how to stay warm.  Our training officer was not really dressed for the cold, and it took longer to capture him than he planned.  He was wearing only a light jacket, so he was about half frozen when I captured him. :twisted: Just like real bad guys in cold weather, they are often glad to be captured and get into a warm place. When I had the younger guys search him, and cuff and stuff him, he was shivering. I slipped down there in the drill area in the dark, and just waited, snug and warm, for something to move in the dark.  :twisted: About a half hour later, he popped up just like a turkey at a turkey shoot by some railroad tracks at a road crossing. The next thing he knew, I blinded him with my Maglight and had him covered. :twisted: ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
I've never used cover scents. Sometimes a scent eliminator to reduce the scent, but be careful, most smell like something that don't belong in the woods. I wore one that smelled like lotion once I pulled down my head net allowing the scent to concentrate under it. Figgured that wasn't any better than my own scent so I gave it up.
 Deer can be funny that way sometimes. It's like they want to confirm the threat with more than one sense. See, Hear, Smell. Any combination, two out of three and your busted. Some times just one without the other two and they get real curious. They want to know what they're running from and which way is away.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline NJHUNTER

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 11:51:51 PM »
On the job Mr. Andrews?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 02:00:59 AM »
On the job Mr. Andrews?
Yep, on the job, a regular night at work.  It's paramount you keep your hands and feet warm. Feet cold, you are usually done for.  Hands, you can shove them into your clothes close to your body to warm up, but I always pack a couple of good pair of gloves, one pair waterproof tactical gloves.  You must remember to keep your ears warm, too.  You don't necessarily need heavy winter gear this early in the winter, but you should have it close at hand in case you will be in the field for hours. Especially if you are not in a position to be active enough to keep warm. You need to be able to access your cold winter gear quickly and easily. I even have some electric socks that are powered by D cell batteries. Those seem to work better than the 9 volt socks. Don't have  them turned on while you are walking. Use them when you are standing or not moving around enough to deep your feet warm. One secret of electric socks, switch them on before your feet actually get really cold. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 05:03:52 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline NJHUNTER

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »
Once again,

thanks for all of the great advice and insight. i'm going to do some bargain hunting this week and see what i can find.

Thanks again,

'J

Offline NJHUNTER

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 08:05:03 PM »
UPDATE:

picked up a "10X" brand gortex pants and jacket for just under $100.  I think I may exchange the pants for the bib style...just to ensure no cold breezes coming up my back.  The patterns are different bottom is advantage and the top is new mossey oak breakup. i'm not too concerned about it considering the price...besides..this ain't no fashion show!!!

Facebook Comments