October 17, 2017, 02:05:58 AM

Author Topic: COLD WEATHER GEAR  (Read 3873 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: COLD WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:09:27 AM »
That's gittin' 'er done, GP style, NJ!  O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 04:56:08 AM »
I just bought a pair of winter boots rated for -75. The good thing is, my work place will pay me back for the purchase.  Finally, toasty feet!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 11:03:50 PM »
JA let us know how they work out for long term ,low activity. I could use some for the seer stand. I got a bit frost bit once as a teen and my feet just won't take it. They're the first to say"go back to the truck"
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 10:24:27 AM »
Mo, I sure will. I looked closer at the tags and they say good for -75 walking. It was in the low teens last night and my feet stayed toasty. That's not the same as on a stand for hours, as we know. I was on cold concrete for one stretch that was 3 1/2 hours low activity, as far as walking.  With my old feldt liner boots or my leather combat boots, my feet would have been frozen. Those inflatable military surplus gooney boots are warm, but kinda hard to find.

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
Those inflatable military surplus gooney boots are warm, but kinda hard to find.

Those are the best you can get. Try a search for “bunny boots” if you want to find a pair.

They are really not meant to be inflatable. You open the air valve at higher altitudes, like when in a airplane so they don’t tighten up on your feet with changing pressures. Most people I know glue that valve shut, if you ever get them wet inside, they don’t dry. The school systems make them available for the kids in the more rural areas along the Bering Sea coast

I regularly wear a pair of Sorel 100 below packs for a comfy boot but I’d never want to get them wet.
Those military style boots can be wet all day and it doesn’t make a difference. It’s the way to go if frostbite situations might come about where you’re at.
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 12:52:19 AM »
Glad you mentioned those inflatables. Sportsmans Guide calls them "Mickey Mouse Boots"and advertises them regularly. If I remember they come cheap. I always wondered if they work the way they claim.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »
I got tired of reading the thread (and am kinda' short on time), so I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this.  DOWN!!!!! O0

Me being poor (or at least spending all of my spare money on guns), I don't have the cash to get any of the modern day synthetics to wick moisture away from the body.  I usually just dress in insulated underwear, and multiple layers of clothes.  Tutle necks are a MUST!!!  They help cover skin (a.k.a. camoflage), and keep you warm.  I also wear a face mask, some sort of tobogan and/or face mask/tobogan combo, a baclava or neck gaitor (sp?), and then down if it's really cold.  Sweat shirts are my standard wear during cold weather, along with the other stuff mentioned.  Any wool that you can pull on the better.  When it comes to the feet, that's my downfall, or at least it used to be.  I invested in some good 100% wool socks and then some more that are about 75% wool.  My feet used to be what made me come out of the woods.  Not anymore.  Between the wool socks and the pack boots with the wool liners, I'm good to go!!!! O0 O0 O0

The last time I stayed out in the "really cold", it was down to about 10 degrees, with a -20 degree wind chill.  Between the wool, down, and the layers, I was tolerably comfortable enough to stay out all day.  I shot a deer on the last day of the hunt.  Within 3-4 minutes of shooting the deer and watching him fall, the blood trail he laid had frozen on the leaves if that tells you how cold it was! :shock:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 08:59:37 PM »
Any of the clothing listed in this thread would be a sound purchase.  I totally forgot about "Goose Down" clothing for cold weather.  Down is one of the absolute best insulators for cold weather, but is does have one major drawback = If you get it wet, your are screwed.  Once it gets soaked, it loses all of it's insulating properties and clumps up.  (Wet feathers)  Plus, it is almost impossible to dry in the field.  Thinsulate and (I believe) Primaloft are synthetic forms of down, that will maintain a good portion of their insulating properties when wet and are much easier to dry out.  They also, do not clump up.

If you were hunting in a very dry and cold environment down would really tough to beat.  If there is a chance you are going to get wet, stick with Wool, Thinsulate, GoreTex, and Fleece.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments