October 22, 2017, 01:16:12 PM

Author Topic: Short 1st shotgun season hunt  (Read 782 times)

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
Short 1st shotgun season hunt
« on: December 06, 2005, 08:46:13 PM »
Well, it didn't take long this year.  Last year was my first deer hunt since I was in high school (to give you an idea, Carter was President...), and I never fired a shot.  This year, I am out 10 minutes of opening day, fire one shot and put meat on the table - a doe, probably 2 years old.  Been pushing for the past couple of days trying to get my son and my friend a good chance at shot with very little results.  Been colder than witches....well you know.

Thought we had it made today though.  Stretch of public ground that gets hit hard opening day then left alone cuz folks got to work and also think its been hit too much already.  DNR left about 200 yards X 50 rows of corn standing, 75 yards from heavily wooded creek/river bottom.  Dropped the so off 1/2 a mile up from the corn and had him walk in to a fence post in amongst a bunch of weeds that was about 20 yards from the corner of the corn patch nearest the woods, standing all by itself, no fence attached.  "Get there, Stay still.  And DON"T shoot into the corn!" I tells him.  Buddy and I drove down and then walked back up to come into the corn from the other side and walk the rows.  Just before we get to the corn we see a bunch of deer (dozen or so), including a nice big buck trotting through the woods,  They come out into the field and start heading toward the upper end of the corn field, toward the boy.  Buddy and I look at each other with this "OH YEAH!" look.  Pretty soon - BOOM!  BOOM!   Oh man!  I am hoping but I am thinking it was too soon.  We head toward the corn and there is an explosion - pheasants every which way, deer the WRONG way - no shot or no safe one.  get up to the end and figure out they must have scented him or he moved.  Ends up he'd spooked them when he stood up and they had scattered, so he was taking 60+ yard shots at running deer.  Live and learn. 

Posted him on some private land in the "ambush spot" I got my deer at, deer "highway" about 25-30 yards away.  We pushed to him and we saw one deer headed to the other side of the valley.  Tried one other spot with two different pushes - one doe WAAAY out there, no shot.   Doesn't look like Alex will score this year.  He wants a muzzle loader but the Christmas shopping is already done, maybe next fall.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Short 1st shotgun season hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
No meat but lots of excitement= education for boy. He will remember the lessons and should put meat on the table next year, anyhow. Kids get excited and tend to forget some things, but at least your son conducted himself in a safe manner. As we appreciate, it's worth everything to return home intact, especially after deer hunting.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:11:23 PM »
hey at least ya got 'em out there and got him to learn something and see something as well, just doing that part is a lasting memory!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »
Well, it didn't take long this year.  Last year was my first deer hunt since I was in high school (to give you an idea, Carter was President...), and I never fired a shot.  This year, I am out 10 minutes of opening day, fire one shot and put meat on the table - a doe, probably 2 years old.  Been pushing for the past couple of days trying to get my son and my friend a good chance at shot with very little results.  Been colder than witches....well you know.

Thought we had it made today though.  Stretch of public ground that gets hit hard opening day then left alone cuz folks got to work and also think its been hit too much already.  DNR left about 200 yards X 50 rows of corn standing, 75 yards from heavily wooded creek/river bottom.  Dropped the so off 1/2 a mile up from the corn and had him walk in to a fence post in amongst a bunch of weeds that was about 20 yards from the corner of the corn patch nearest the woods, standing all by itself, no fence attached.  "Get there, Stay still.  And DON"T shoot into the corn!" I tells him.  Buddy and I drove down and then walked back up to come into the corn from the other side and walk the rows.  Just before we get to the corn we see a bunch of deer (dozen or so), including a nice big buck trotting through the woods,  They come out into the field and start heading toward the upper end of the corn field, toward the boy.  Buddy and I look at each other with this "OH YEAH!" look.  Pretty soon - BOOM!  BOOM!   Oh man!  I am hoping but I am thinking it was too soon.  We head toward the corn and there is an explosion - pheasants every which way, deer the WRONG way - no shot or no safe one.  get up to the end and figure out they must have scented him or he moved.  Ends up he'd spooked them when he stood up and they had scattered, so he was taking 60+ yard shots at running deer.  Live and learn. 

Posted him on some private land in the "ambush spot" I got my deer at, deer "highway" about 25-30 yards away.  We pushed to him and we saw one deer headed to the other side of the valley.  Tried one other spot with two different pushes - one doe WAAAY out there, no shot.   Doesn't look like Alex will score this year.  He wants a muzzle loader but the Christmas shopping is already done, maybe next fall.

Carter was president????  Who is he????:roll: Oh ya I was still sh***** green around that time  :shock:  :shock: .

Sounds like a hunt that should be listed as "PRICELESS", sounds like fun, and I imagine the look on his face was worth it.  O0  :wink:
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 09:10:46 PM »
Im glad to see the young hunter act safe and also learn something at the same time. Ill bet he was excited.

Facebook Comments