November 23, 2017, 03:35:57 PM

Author Topic: Baiting Bear in the spring  (Read 1195 times)

Offline steeliekingfisher

Baiting Bear in the spring
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:10:19 PM »
Hey guys,
I am planning a spring bear hunt in my neighboring state of Idaho.  I live in WA and they don't allow baiting, plus after five years of no tag from the draw, I am going to Idaho.  Over the counter spring tag and bait allowed.  The area I am planning on hunting does not allow for bait before the season.  I am trying to gather info now so that I am prepared.  if I use a 55 Gal. drum, fill it with breads, oats and mollasses, how long will this last.  Basically I live 6 hours from the hunt, so I want to be able to fill it and then go in in a week to 2 weeks.  Also how big should I make the whole for the bears to access the bait.  I also have a couple beavers to add to the mix, but I plann on putting them in when I arrive to hunt.  Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:15:18 PM by steeliekingfisher »
Hunting and Fishing here, there and anywhere in between.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Baiting Bear in the spring
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 09:55:39 PM »
Hey steeliekingfisher...........it depends  on how  many bears start to hit your baits. Ours up here have to be replenished daily. We've had up to 5 or six different bears that we've seen hitting, and who knows how many we didn't see. The best bet if you live so far away is to check them every couple of days and maybe even set up a trail cam that has time and dates on it.  Once they start, you have to maintain it regularly, or they lose interest, and look elsewhere for a food source. We also keep our beavers seperate from our baits, and use them as a scent attractant. Bearman will offer his advice in here as well. Have a look at his pics.......He's gotten some pretty good bears also. Good luck.
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Facebook Comments