November 22, 2017, 11:42:54 AM

Author Topic: Need help with trapping and bobcat varmit hunting  (Read 3931 times)

Offline steeliekingfisher

Need help with trapping and bobcat varmit hunting
« on: December 15, 2005, 08:55:57 PM »
Hello all,
     I have a huge population of bobcat in one of my hunting areas.  Unfortunatley WA state does not allow trapping with leg hold or lethal traps.  Thats probably why there are so many!! Does anyone have plans to build a non lethal trap?  I looked into Havahart traps but they run just under a 100 bucks each for a bobcat trap.  Too much money for me to spend.   Any suggestions?  The regs state I can't use a snare, lethal body gripping or leg hold spring trap, but they say a non lethal body gripping trap is o.k?  What ever the hell that means.  Also, I may just hunt them with my 22Mag.  What is a good call to use to bring them in?  Thanks in advance for the advise!!! O0 O0
Hunting and Fishing here, there and anywhere in between.

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: Need help with trapping and bobcat varmit hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:24:42 AM »
Well, I have never trapped a bobcat, nor have I seen one, but...

I recently purchased the book "Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping."  It has a huge section on traps and their construction.  The book details different traps for animals as small as moles to as large as grizzlies.  It also has animal information and tips and tricks to catch them accordingly.  Here is the link to the book, but you could probably get it on Amazon.com cheaper.

http://www.globepequot.com/globepequot/index.cfm?fuseaction=customer.product&product_code=1%2D58574%2D482%2D4&category_code=

Are you allowed to poison them?  If so, I hear a mixture of tunafish and antifreeze is deadly.  Although, I would need to be in real dire straits to employ this method.  (It's a little on the cruel side.)  It causes quite a slow painful death, plus other animals, like raccoons and house cats, could eat it a suffer unnecessarily.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:01:12 AM »
i had a puppy die from antifreeze poisoning. its not pretty at all and i wouldnt do that to any animal or person for that matter...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »
i had a puppy die from antifreeze poisoning. its not pretty at all and i wouldnt do that to any animal or person for that matter...

Don't get me wrong, like I said, it would really need to be bad before I would resort to the antifreeze.  Not to be cruel, but what is the difference between antifreeze or some other poison?  Most commercial animal poisons usually cause the animal to die from thirst or internal hemorrhage; both of which would be quite miserable.  It's not like any of them are going to work like a leather injection.  (I was just throwing out an option, and I clearly stated it was cruel.)
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Offline Morax

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
accually antifreeze attacks the liver and kidneys and with them shutting down it poisons the entire system sending the animal into seizures and loss of bowel control, frothing and everything else... my pup had gotten into it from the neighbor where i used to live, it put him into hellaious seizures and it sucked cause he was looking at me and just fell over, couldnt control himself, he was whimpering and growling at the same time.. ok dammit i gotta quit talkin bout him. i still got pictures of him up.... :'(

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:24:19 AM »
Morax, my apologies, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. :'(  Sorry about the pooch.  :'(

Offline Morax

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 12:04:11 PM »
stupid thing is that its been like 10+yrs!! my wolf/malimute... dang tough pup... i accually dont think you can poison any "game" animal can you? i aint too sure on it, but either way i am sure there is a web site someplace out here thats got live trap plans of some sort!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 02:26:54 PM »
Conibear traps set in holes in the fence works good for bobcats.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 03:13:55 PM »
Conibear traps set in holes in the fence works good for bobcats.

I would agree totally about the Conibear Trap; probably a 330!  :twisted:  (On a side note, I just bought some 110's for muskrat and they are brutal.)  Back to the subject, where Steeliekingfisher lives, kill and leg hold traps are illegal, so he was looking for alternate extermination and/or trapping method.

Offline steeliekingfisher

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 07:14:46 PM »
TRhanx for the info guys, and sorry about the pooch.  I did manage to whack on at 75 yards with the 22 mag today!!! O0 O0  I called with a cotton tail distress.  Had 3 different cats come in but only could get 1 shot off.  I am still looking for more info if anyone has any.  Thanks again!!
Hunting and Fishing here, there and anywhere in between.

Facebook Comments