November 25, 2017, 02:39:55 AM

Author Topic: The Last Montana Grizzly  (Read 4601 times)

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: The Last Montana Grizzly
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:55:52 PM »
K&P, you get to this neck of the woods, I sure will! O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
I might just have to take you up on that JA, thanks alot for the offer.  Ill get back to you on it when the money and oppurtunity presents itself.  thanks again  :)

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »
....Turns out that beautiful grizzly we see here may not be the last at all. The Dept. of the Interior has announced this past November that it is proposing to remove the grizzly from the endangered species listing in Montana,Idaho,and Wyoming because of thier increasing numbers. The grizzly population has been increasing at 4-7% per year,according to biologist estimates since the animals have been protected. Grizzlies now occupy 48% greater area than they did at the time of thier inclusion in endangered listings.Wyoming  dept. of fish and game spokesmen have said that hunting is definately a possibility within two to three years. Idaho and Montana also must tend thier game management plans to the Dept. of the Interior before final decisions are complete in this matter...Things look VERY promising for grizzly hunting in the lower fortyeight to return!

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 11:12:25 PM »
haha thats definately a good thing to hear, thanks for the heads up.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »
Geeezzzz, sorry for the delay in reply…..

STUMPULLER

HOW LONG AGO DID YOU TAKE THIS BEAR?

Early 80’s

John Andrews
I imagine your moving to Florida was quite a chore.

My intent is to keep the sunny south open for my wintering grounds only. I’ll always be hunting the Northwest.  My mounts, skulls, hides and the like are scattered about in Florida, Montana, Washington and Alaska. Mostly loaned out to friends whom seem to think a lot more of them than I really do. For some reason, I seem to always keep some of my predator skulls with me as well as a few hides.

So in short, the move isn’t so bad.

K&P
maybe you and I could go out and you could show me a couple things...  Ill hunt anything anytime anywhere, Ill fish anything any time anywhere etc etc. I just cant get enough of the outdoors lol.

Lets see is JA for me or John? Either way it appears you got an invite from John and my camp is always open as well.

bearman
Jeff: Good bear. What did it score?

You know, I have forgotten. He was not book, thats hard to do in Montana with no separation from Canada or Alaska for Grizzlies as the book goes. He was 7’6” that I remember.
When we would harvest these bears the head had to be turned over to fish and game so their biologist could play with them for a while. A few things happened with this.
Number one, they really did a poor job. The teeth were badly cracked from excessive boiling and then it was yellowed horribly from the poor method they used to clean it up.
They did the scoring, it was written real fancy on the skull.
At the time I cross-referenced with the records and it was well below BC as well as min. qualifications for state records.
So I did my best to whiten it after the fact. I went to my taxidermist at the time and he gave me a powdered peroxide, which I made a paste out of with water and packed the skull with it and left it for a while.
This removed the score F&G had written on it.
Then there was this, Boone and Crockett requires
A 60-day air dry before a qualifying measure can be made,
Idunno, but doubt that happened before F&G did their measurements. I do know ya gotta have a really big pair of calipers to measure a skull, which I have never owned.
No matter, it wasn’t book or close, the skull turned out ok at best for display proposes and currently is in Seattle in safekeeping. I am glad you mentioned this.   I’ll be in Seattle this time tomorrow and just might fetch it up and bring it here with the others I keep sitting around gathering dust.

Olhippie
Things look VERY promising for grizzly hunting in the lower fortyeight to return!

This is going to be interesting, when our season was closed in Montana, non-resident tags were either 300 or they might have just been raised to 500 dollars. Resident was 50 bucks..I wonder what they will think a tag is worth today?

Montana was the only state with an active season as far back as I can recall, so it’s my guess they will be the first to re-open…This is sure to get a hell raise outta the peta types…I doubt we will have to watch closely to hear about when an open season is announced

Sorry if I missed any questions here, but there is one I did not see asked………..
He was taken with a 300mag/180gr
The range was 20 feet, he was standing
Facing the gun and was hit plum-center.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:21:20 PM by jeffalaska »
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 07:42:28 PM »
haha i guess taht refered to both of yall so its a two for one shot lol.  thanks for the invite as well.

I cant believe you took that shot that close?  did he charge up on you and stand up, then you took the shot?  that had to be a very belittling sight lol, great memories I bet.

I saw this thing on a movie and it said that indians teens would do it to prove man hood or something crazy like that, I dont really believe it comign from a movie and all but that would be so cool to get a bear with a big stick, when he stands up put it up to his chest and jab the other end into the ground, kinda like a pitfall I guess. lmao sorry to jack the thread just wondering if anybody else had heard it.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 10:55:19 PM »

I cant believe you took that shot that close?  did he charge up on you and stand up, then you took the shot?  that had to be a very belittling sight lol, great memories I bet.

I was hunting him and more or less in a blind so to speak.
I had been watching him for a few minutes. I could not get a clear shot until he relized I was there and stood up.

I saw this thing on a movie and it said that indians teens would do it to prove man hood or something crazy like that, I dont really believe it comign from a movie and all but that would be so cool to get a bear with a big stick, when he stands up put it up to his chest and jab the other end into the ground, kinda like a pitfall I guess. lmao sorry to jack the thread just wondering if anybody else had heard it.

K&P

I have heard different version's of this method before as well.
I am gonna have to think long and hard as to where I read
a really cool story on how it was done.
There were many pages of details leading up to these guys
doing this.
They were waking them from their winter dens
by harassing them excessively while blocking the dens
entrance. After the bear was really worked up they would
allow him passage from the den and spear him as he charged
out.

Was this true?

Idunno, but it made for a hellov' story...
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline D45/70

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »
 ;D The bear's not from MT but I am and so is the Bud that shot it. (bear is from AK)
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
Jeff, did you ever know Wally Rochester and his brother, a couple of guides from Fairbanks? I knew Wally when I lived in Fairbanks. Wally's brother was killed by a griz while guiding a hunt just before I met Wally.
The client gut shot a bear and refused to go in the bush after it, so Rochester went it alone. As you probably guessed, the bear pulled the usual griz trick.
The bear cricled and waited in ambush along side his trail. Rochester didn't have a chance, the bear was right on him as he stalked the blood trail. Wally told me the client was fined for not doing his part, small consolation to Wally and his dead brother.
I wouldn't have gone it alone for a wounded bear, period.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments