October 19, 2017, 04:17:35 PM

Author Topic: Would you take the shot????  (Read 3508 times)

Offline DeathWind

Would you take the shot????
« on: January 08, 2006, 03:35:30 AM »
You are bowhunting.

The shot presents itself at 30 yards.

Would you take the shot?

Why/Why not? 

When I release my arrow Death is in the Wind!

Throw a dart at a map and go there!  Get the tires muddy on the suv.  Trade a hot shower for a plunge in a cold stream.  Take your kids camping and jury-rig a shelter,  Saw kindling from downed trees,  Reel-in breakfast and show them that survival isn't about fleeing from some cyborg on a video screen!

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: Would you take the shot????
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 06:23:43 AM »
Although this is a really nice shot and I feel I could get an arrow through one lung, the liver and the diaphram, I wouldn't take this particular shot at 30 yards.

Reason #1:
Notice the posture of the doe and the buck in the field. Their ears are forward and their eyes are locked on something that has them feeling a little edgy, they are basically on HIGH ALERT!!! The buck behind them can't see what the two deer in the feild are looking at, he is relying on body language of the two deer in the field that can see.  Notice the buck behind has one ear focused on the deer in the field and the other ear focused in the direction the deer in the field are looking?

If I were to take the shot, even though I shoot a fast bow, my arrow will never reach them before the sound of the shot is heard. The deer's first instinct is to drop, turn and bolt. More than likely, the buck will will drop and make a 90 degree turn and be facing the cover as the arrow gets to him. So this would cause a VERY poor shot placement in the hind quarter or most likely a miss.

I would sit it out and see if he goes back to eating, being a little less on edge and possibly giving me a little better quartering away shot when he's not on the edge of bolting and running!!

Also notice the torsals on the doe? They are puffed up and this is also a sign that the deer don't like the situation and are about to run..   I would wait it out because most likely they are just seeing deer entering the field and as soon as they recognise that there is no danger, they will more than likely return to feeding and drop their defense a bit.

Reason #2: 
Being that the time of year looks to be about late August early September, I wouldn't want to educate this buck before the  season opened. If you look at the 2 kickers coming off the right side G-2 tine, they are not even busted or rubbed down yet. You can also see traces of blood on the left side G-3 and G-4 indicating that he just shed and he hasn't done much rubbing yet. Also notice that the doe is still holding a little of her summer coat (and she looks to be a last years fawn) and the other buck entering the field looks like he still has a little velvet left on his right side beam that hasn't shed yet. This indicates to me that this is pre-rut being that the bucks are still running together.  Deer are like turkeys, if you keep going to the same location and calling that gobbler,  he is going to become educated to you and your calling. Deer are the same way and if you present a life threating situation on him, he will go noctunal and you'll probably never get a 2nd shot at him the rest of the season. 

Now lets look back at the doe. The reason I feel this doe is last years fawn is because she is running with buck. An older doe will be with fawns this time of year and would isolate herself and run the buck and other doe off to insure her fawns have the best forage available to insure growth and survival.

Just one man's opinion    O0

PS. Now if I had my 300 Ultra MAg, I would tip him over!!!   :twisted:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:50:18 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 08:38:23 AM »
damn... I never thought of it that way... but I would pass up the shot for the wider spread in the back to come closer and if hes not spooked take the shot.
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 09:17:03 AM »
I've done this so many times, to me it's a no-brainer. I would send my arrow right under his belly; shaving off as many hairs as I could, but careful not to draw any blood. Then I would watch joyfully as he dashed back into the woods, content in the fact that I had made him aware of the dangers of other hunters, and hope that he survives another year so I can do it again.. :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »
hahahhaha just doing your part huh ellwood?
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »
I've done this so many times, to me it's a no-brainer. I would send my arrow right under his belly; shaving off as many hairs as I could, but careful not to draw any blood. Then I would watch joyfully as he dashed back into the woods, content in the fact that I had made him aware of the dangers of other hunters, and hope that he survives another year so I can do it again.. :roll:

Yep, this is usually how it goes,  I have done this many times myself.  It kind of gives new meaning to the exceptional shots we pull... huh!!

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
I'm with you on your choice Stony That buck is just not relaxed enough for a 30 yd. shot with a bow. And that early in the season if you play your cards right there is a good chance to get another chance at him with the odds more in your favor. No since risking a crippling shot at such a nice deer.
All who resist will die

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
Well said stony,you summed it up in a nut shell.I also could easily make that belly hair shot and dont you think i cant.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »
Can and have made that belly hair shot myself a time or two. I probably would not risk that shot either. 30 yds is the very outside range I would consider with the crossbow and he is way to edgy.Would not be there when the broadhead arrives. Second reason it he has both horns and I ain't never killed a good one that had both. I am a pro unicorn killer. I have killed 3 very big bucks, 2 only had 1 antler and the third had a beautiful six points on one side and the other was a puny shriveled nothing. All 3 were killed in the Ohio shotgun season or the muzzleloader season the next month. I have made some awful pretty knife handles and powder and shot measures. Just could not bring myself to put a unicorn on the wall. Just about forgot the fourth on I nearly shot with the .44 mag on the last day of shotgun season 2 yrs ago. He was only about 15 yds out and heard me cock it and flared off to the side and I saw he only had one.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »
Yeupppp

Facebook Comments