October 20, 2017, 02:05:18 PM

Author Topic: Custom Knives by John Andrews  (Read 20263 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Custom Knives by John Andrews
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
OK, I'm only going to post the pictures.  John can explain them and give you more info about them.  I've gotten 1 from him as a gift for a friend of mine that collects knives.  Since he collects them, the one I got him went in his safe, so..........  Right now though, I've got John making 2 more for me because of the look, feel, and craftsmanship of the first one.  How well they perform under "field" conditions I can't vouch for just yet (I'll let John tell you what he's seen).  Anyway, here's the pictures.  John can either post his contact info, or you can contact him directly through this site for more info.

Edit: 11/2/11 - With GP switching different things between the forum and photo album, the links didn't work any more for the knife pictures.  I've inserted them again down at the end of the topic.  O0
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:35:48 AM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
Re: Custom Knives by John Andrews
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 09:04:04 PM »
WOW  :D :roll: :D :roll: ;D :roll:  REALLY NICE BLADES  O0 :)

Mr. Andrews,

Where is the price list?  What are your Payment Terms?  How long does it take?  Seriously.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:48:44 AM »
Hey John, again, nice blades there. I would be interested in more info on the blades in pictures 1, 5, & 6. I'd be interested in a couple or 3 depending on pricing and such. One of em for my old man, like we discussed before (that would be one from pics 5 or 6), and one or two for me.

Looks like somebody just expanded their business a bit. ^-^
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:52:36 AM »
told ya he makes some sweet lookin blades!!  still interested but aint got the bucks for one YET  but am gunning for one of the designs like pic #3 i like that style of blade, clean/simple.. useable...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:59:19 AM »
WOW  :D :roll: :D :roll: ;D :roll:  REALLY NICE BLADES  O0 :)

Mr. Andrews,

Where is the price list?  What are your Payment Terms?  How long does it take?  Seriously.
Mad river, how's about emailing me, oldhickory45@yahoo.com? Dang, my head is getting too big to fit in our livingroom, now! And yes, that one is a fillet knife, carbon steel.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 06:26:15 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:13:22 AM »
Hey John, again, nice blades there. I would be interested in more info on the blades in pictures 1, 5, & 6. I'd be interested in a couple or 3 depending on pricing and such. One of em for my old man, like we discussed before (that would be one from pics 5 or 6), and one or two for me.

Looks like somebody just expanded their business a bit. ^-^
Thanks, Ks_! #1 is L6, a high carbon steel fillet.  Actually, it has a mirror polished blade. What you see on the blade is a reflection of the sky. Sorry to say, I quit making fillet knives. I can't charge what I need to to cover my costs for making them, believe it or not. It would be a really expensive fillet knife. The fillet knives are just as much work as my regular hunting knives, actually. I charge $200 for my hunting knives, like the ones in pictures 5 and 6, and generally that size. A handmade top notch cowhide sheath is included with the knife. There are some other items included, such as engraving on the blade. The blades receive a cryo treatment, and the knives include a lifetime guarantee.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 04:22:42 AM »
I don't mean to put you great folks off, but I will have to finish my posts here later in the morning. It's way past this old Indian's bedtime after 10 hours on a cold patrol at work. I will post some information and descriptions of the knife pictures. I want to thank all you folks for all the kind words and for Big58cal's great help in posting the pictures, and BC's kind words, too. My head is still swelling. I may have to sleep on the couch, my big head probablywon't  fit through the bedroom doorway, now. O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
I'm ba-a-a-a-aK!  #1 is a carbon steel (L6) blade with manmade carbon fiber and Micarta laminated handle, with the customer's initials on the handle.       #2 are of high carbon stainless steel. Knife on left has stabilized uncolored buckeye burl wood, the right one has undyed stabilized amboynia burl.   #3 picture was a blade still smeared with some buffing compound, L6 carbon steel balde, handle is of deer antler, 99.99 pure silver spacers, inlays, and buttcap. The wood is some Osage orange (hedgeball tree) I cut myself. I cut all my own Osage wood near home.   #4 is a working Ulu I made for a local lady taxidermist. The blade I made out of a chunk of a big sawmill blade, high carbon and chrome content steel. The Ulu blade rings like a bell when you flick your fingernail and strike the blade. It's about a 3/16" thick blade, scalloped and then mirror polished. The Ulu is all one solid piece of steel, with the wood sandwiched onto the steel, so the handle of the Ulu is a full tang handle.  The Ulu was custom fit to her hand, exactly. She uses it in her shop, mostly for scraping hides. The blade has a slight hollow grind to ease sharpening on a diamond hone. It's pretty hard steel.   the next, #5, is like mirror polished stainless high carbon steel, stabilized undyed (I use only the natural wood, don't like dyed wood) buckeye burl, high grade nickle silver bosters. It's posed on my neighbor's rail fence.  The next pic down, pretty much the same.  The next pic down is a pair mirror polished high carbon (L6) blades, white tail deer antler, several ounces of 99.99 silver inlays and 1oz. 99.99 pure silver undated Morgan silver dollars mounted on the antler crowns.  The next one down is a customer designed request, L6 steel, Osage orange wood, deer antler, and some more silver. The knife has a sawtooth spine. My son named the knife "Exibit A" because it looks like a knife that will end up as evidence in a murder trial.   Next are a couple of kitchen knives with stands,  2 of many of which I had a big run on. They are L6, very sharp blades. One has Osage orange wood from a one hundred year old fence post  that was still in the ground, the other has lilac wood handle, from a white lilac bush. The lilac is really hard stuff, purple, white,black, and brown colored wood. The kitchen knives were bought as kitchen conversation pieces, but are good working kives, if used.   Next is a L6 skinner, Osage, antler, , and silver.  On down, another L6 monster, customer design request. It has sawtooth spine, brass and silver guard and finger/thumb hole, and a, L6 steel lockblade built into the handle. The lockblade is about 5 or so inches long, if that gives you some scale as to the size of the knive. It was i nightmare to build, and I was more than glad to receive his $500 payment. The sheath was handmade and hand stitched by my contankerous old hermit sheath maker, a genius with leather. Next, the white handle looking one is high carbon 440C stainless, lilac wood and carved deer antler crown.  Next, a view of the 99.99 pure silver Morgan dollars mounted on the crowns of the pair of knives you saw earlier. Last is an l6 blade, and some of my local wild cherry wood I cut, and engraved 99.99 silver furniture on the handle. These are just a few of what I have made, most of my pictures are lost.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:14:02 AM »
John's working one of his fine knives for me, and I can hardly wait!!!! Judging by the pics, craftmanship, and the time John puts into his, knives, they are a steal at the price he asks. Where else can you get a handcrafted knife for $ 200? You can bet I'll be ordering a couple more here in the future!!!!!!
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
John's working one of his fine knives for me, and I can hardly wait!!!! Judging by the pics, craftmanship, and the time John puts into his, knives, they are a steal at the price he asks. Where else can you get a handcrafted knife for $ 200? You can bet I'll be ordering a couple more here in the future!!!!!!
you forgot to add not just handcrafted, but from someone you know who will not give second rate material, or anything else to you. someone who is going the extra mile for you BEFORE you even see the thing!! a true craftsman, not in it for the money or the fame but for the love of doing the job right!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments