December 18, 2017, 12:05:25 AM

Author Topic: Custom Knives by John Andrews  (Read 20709 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Custom Knives by John Andrews
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 11:48:42 PM »
I got to digging around through some of my old pictures and finally found the ones I took of the first knife that John made for me.  This one was for my Step-Dad who collected knives.  He really liked it, and thought the wood was really cool. O0

If anyone has any questions about any of the knives, send John a PM.  Also, if you've been lucky enough to get John to make a knife for you, snap some pictures of it and post them on here. O0

Edit:  11/2/11 - Picture links not working.  Updated links at end of topic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:38:10 AM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:50 PM »
man BC................thats one fine looking knife......................I'm still waiting to get mine, but I know it'll be worth the wait
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 08:22:50 AM »
man BC................thats one fine looking knife......................I'm still waiting to get mine, but I know it'll be worth the wait

That one is my favorite of the 3 I've gotten from him.  Haven't seen the 4th one yet that he's still working on. O0  It's supposed to be something along the same lines as the ones I've already got, but smaller.  The one I use is a good blade, but just a tad big for squirrels and such. ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 12:39:03 PM »
Dang, now my head is so swelled I can't get my hat on!  :roll: Thanks for posting the pictures and the kind words, BC! And thank you all for the kind words, too!  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
Bare_trax should receive his knife this week, was mailed out last week.  :) Canadian Customs likes to slow the delivery process, I hear. I filed the proper paperwork and mailed the knife so as to speed things along.  :)
I hope you like the knife, trax!
And, thanks all for the kind words. I'm headed out to the shop right after I finish my morning java fix.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »
I gots 2 on order, but when it comes to John's kind of craftmanship, I'm willing to wait. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »
Got the knife this morning!

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see it.  ::) ;D ;D ;D  It looks better than I was expecting (as usual). O0  I was wanting one a little smaller than my other ones to use on squirrels, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc.  This one should pretty well fit the bill for all of that and more! O0  Blade is 440 Stainless Steel that has been heat treated and cryo-quenched.  The wood in the handle is a burly piece of Osage Orange (hedge apple).  Apparently, the Osage burl is rarer than hen's teeth. :o  It's got some really cool grain and patterns to it.  The pictures don't do it justice.  :|  The sheath I asked to have dyed brown, and Abe did it (John's sheath maker).  The leather though really soaked up the stain and turned a dark brown.  It's all good though. O0  It looks pretty good with the lighter brown of the handle.

Thanks again John! O0 O0 O0  This one is down, only 1 other left to go. O0

Edit:  11/2/11 - Updated links at end of topic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:39:41 AM by Big58cal »

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
  :) Hey, you are most welcome, BC! O0 :)  Actually, it is I that should thank you and thank you again for posting about your latest arrival.  :)

Yep, that wood in the burl is dang hard to find. And then the delay waiting for the wood to be stabilized. With the chemical stabilitation, the wood and finish will never rot, etc. It will stay the way it is, forever.

I think your knife will be make cleaning squirrels a little easier than using your larger knives.

Abe was surprised the way your sheath dyed, too. Every piece of leather is different. He's going to dilute the dye on your next sheath, the one for your to be finished guthook.

Hey, maybe You or someone can suggest a model name for your knife, in case I have the opportunity to make some more like yours. Something like, "Lil Critter", "BC Squacker", or something, since it's a small game knife.

P.S., I'm also working on Techno's knife as well as your guthook. Techno's  knife is of the same steel as yours, except your to-be-finished guthook knife steel is CPM420V.  :)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
Hey, maybe You or someone can suggest a model name for your knife, in case I have the opportunity to make some more like yours.

How about "The Little Injun"  ;D O0  Sounds good to me! :wink:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »
How about "The Little Injun"  ;D O0  Sounds good to me! :wink:
Sounds pretty good!

Facebook Comments