October 19, 2017, 12:14:30 PM

Author Topic: trees....  (Read 6265 times)

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
trees....
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »
well just the other day i fell about 10 feet from a tree and landed smack on my back.  i was hunting just climbing a tree.  when the ladys house i was climbing the tree at wanted me to knock down some of the dead branches so i grabed this one dead bronch and as soon as i shifted my waight onto the the braunch is snapped and i fell straight smack on my back... i ahve fell out of plenty of trees and i mgith post them later but first i want to hear of some of ur tree experiences both in the woods or if u ahve stories of when u were kids and took some spils
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: trees....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »
I've taken my fair share of falls out of stuff, but since that time, I've gotten a little older and wiser.  Anymore, I strap myself in to the tree.  Just remember, it's not the fall that kills you.  It's that sudden stop at the end!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »
when i was about 4 i used to always climb this one tree probaly 5 feet off the ground one day i fell out landed on my head on the sidewalk :shock:

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
oh man i see this is going to turn into a mess of "got this one from".. but ok lets see, was 3-4 yrs old fell off a porch onto concrete, 6 stiches in eyebrow, fell off a horse onto my back at age 6 and then got stepped on.. age 8 went flying over handle bars of motorcycle, landed ala slide on shoulder.. age 8 snapped left wrist after flipping a bicycle 4 times...(trying to impress a girl) lets see, slid/fell down 60 ft hillside,gas line with motorcycle tumbling after.. 16 i flipped a motorcycle (honda 400 street bike) upside down and bounced 3 times on my head and right shoulder with the bike still between my feet (thank god the boots stayed locked to the footpegs) ummm want me to keep going or is that enough reasons i am what i am hehehhehe
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:21:30 PM »
yea i think that pretty much summs it up

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 08:36:50 PM »
when i was about 4 i used to always climb this one tree probaly 5 feet off the ground one day i fell out landed on my head on the sidewalk :shock:

That pretty much explains things now. :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:49:20 PM »
I don't recall ever falling out of a tree but I did step out of my tree stand one time, won't do that again  :D

I was about 22 or 23 years old and had just shot my first buck with a bow. I was so excited to go and see him that I forgot I was 20' up a tree. I just stepped out like I was only a foot off the ground. As soon as I realized what I had just done, I hit the ground. My knee came up and smacked me in the chin and nearly knocked me out.

It took me a few minutes to get my bearing before I went to see the buck I shot.  Ever since then, I always strap myself to the tree, not in fear of falling out but to keep me from walking out of my stand again O0

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:51:08 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:21:49 PM »
I took a 25 foot fall from huge pine tree when I was building a tree house as a youngster.  I was sitting on a branch, facing the trunk, and driving a 10 Penny Nail into the same branch I was sitting on.  (I never said I was a genius.)  Well, the nail split the branch and I landed flat on my back: bruised ribs, jarred organs, mild concussion, ambulance ride, and three days in the hospital.  Looking back, it was kinda like Wile E. Coyote sawing the board he was sitting on while hanging over the cliff.  Needless to say, I started thinking a little harder about gravity and physics after that event.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »
I don't recall ever falling out of a tree but I did step out of my tree stand one time, won't do that again  :D

I was about 22 or 23 years old and had just shot my first buck with a bow. I was so excited to go and see him that I forgot I was 20' up a tree. I just stepped out like I was only a foot off the ground. As soon as I realized what I had just done, I hit the ground. My knee came up and smacked me in the chin and nearly knocked me out.

It took me a few minutes to get my bearing before I went to see the buck I shot.  Ever since then, I always strap myself to the tree, not in fear of falling out but to keep me from walking out of my stand again O0

now i could see myself doing this one!! i bet this is more prevalent than most people think
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 10:25:58 PM »
I have heard of several people stepping out of their tree stands like that.

I just hope that a good portion of them were hunting marsh lands.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments