November 24, 2017, 06:18:30 AM

Author Topic: 1st squirrel hunt  (Read 2553 times)

Offline wirwin

• Gut Pile Club Member
1st squirrel hunt
« on: January 24, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »
I'm going to go squirrel/rabbit hunting this Saturday at a place by my local lake.  Unfortunately they don't allow rifles only shotguns and bows. :'(  I'll take a 20 gauge with size 6 shot.  I have everything prepared and was wondering if any of you had any pointers you wanted to give me.  After all it is my first rabbit hunt.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: 1st squirrel hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:19:47 PM »
....Wirwin, What occurs to me to advise you is to look beyond your target  so that only the intended target is in dangered by your shot. This is best summerised by the shooters rule "know your backstop"..I hope your fortunate and see many rabbits,or squirrels. The gun you've choosen will do the job,do your part,and you'll have a wonderful game meal for the pot! Best of luck,please send back a field report..

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:19:33 PM »
You may also want to get some high brass #4 shot shells also.  The #4 shot will carry further than the #6, and will really help you when you've got to "reach out and touch" a squirrel.  This time of year, with no leaves on the trees and no cover, squirrels will spot you a pretty good distance away.  The #4 shot will help you bring home some meat! O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
olhippie and Big58cal offered sound advise.  Check your Back Stop and carry a few high brass shells.  The only thing I can offer, off the top of my head, is if you get a close up shot, don't aim directly at the squirrel.  Aim off it a few inches if you are under about 15-20 feet.  I have had one heck of a time getting my stepson to follow this advise.  He once nailed one at about 15 feet with a pheasant load.  The only thing worth saving were the hind legs.

Other than that, get out early, stay late, and enjoy your day.  O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »
I assume you'll be trying to walk up the rabbits. It's pretty easy and fun, once you know how. Proceed slowly along fence rows and brushy ares. Take 2 or 3 steps and stop. Pause there for a few seconds. Take 2 or 3 more steps, pause... Repeat as necessary. Often as you start to step again after the pause, the rabbit will bust. Sometimes from right between your feet. What a rush!!
 I won't go into a long winded explaination why this works, but it does.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Meat Hunter

• Head Shots ONLY
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 05:53:16 AM »
:D 6's will do fine though I prefer 5's. Use the above advice. Most importantly, have a fine time and learn from the day! You'll be back soon.  Good Luck!
Havin' fun at the expense of others!

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
Sure brings back a whole lot of memories when you start talking " First Hunt ".  I can see myself out there for the first time with my old 20 ga. single shot. One of the first things I learned about squirrels is that they have a tough hide and high brass four's work better than the less expensive low brass six's. The bigger/heavier shot will widen your effective killing distance a bit more and prevent cripples.  Also when hunting SQ & rabbits with a shot gun I field dress them right away cuz a scatter gun can make a mess out of their insides and you don't want that on the meat.
Most of all be safe... know where your hunting partners are, that includes the dog if there is one. Know whats over the next hill before you shoot.  Enjoy yourself, learn from each experience, and pass this knowledge on to someone you love.
Happy hunting my friend!
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »
If you have a pump shotgun, wirwin, keep a #6 or #8 lo-brass in the chamber while you are walking, and keep your mag full of high brass #4 or #6. If you get a bunny when he jumps, the low brass won't tear him up too bad. If you miss him or he gets on out there, then the high brass will carry some more distance. Same thing for squirrels. If you spot one way up high or farther off, just rack your slide and let him have it with the big boy.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline wirwin

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks I just had a handful of shells left and I have a few 6's and 2-3 4's.  I should go out Saturday the 27th.  I'll be with my dad who also has never hunted small critters before, only pheasant and quail.  Unfortunately at this lake the only game is mostly squirrels, rabbits and some turkey.

Offline john

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 11:22:36 AM »
doon't get frustrated by missed shots. and most of all,,,,, just have fun!

Facebook Comments