December 16, 2017, 09:58:01 AM

Author Topic: Boar hunting...  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
Boar hunting...
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:47:12 PM »
Dont know if this is the right section but ive been real interested in boar hunting and from what ive read GA is the capitol of it all.  Ive never really looked into beyond the net before let alone done it so does anyone have any advice of when, where, or just stories about it?  Im real interested in it seeing as how I couldnt even find a season for them (hopefully meaning its year round hunting) and its practically in my back yard.  thanks alot I really appreciate it.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
Re: Boar hunting...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:43:13 AM »
I am glad someone started this topic...LOL

I am thinking of becoming an offical boar scorer...soon as i get me a set of scales.

Anyways, that is neither here nor there. To respond to your questions about hunting them.

I don't know about your hog population, but ours is HUGE. Start by calling your wildlife department and asking about regulations, etc.  Then, decide on how serious you want to hunt them. If you "just wanna go shoot one", then grab the gun...look for digs and tracks and set up like you would for deer. Scent covers & feeders..also look for sources near water. Basically just treat it like you would for deer...hogs usually have territory (so long as there is food) with big boars competing for sows, just like bucks do. However, the breeding cycles are very different than deer.

Now, if you want to get serious...get yourself some hog-dogs. With a good run of dogs you can be in the woods and on a hog in no time--and skip all those feeders and such. Decide if you want headers or catch dogs, this will determine the breed you want to invest in.

Also, you may want to study up on the various breeds of hogs out there...i mean there is nothing worse than bragging to your friends about that 300 pounder you took...only to find out it was a feral hampshire you just shot..lol.

Gun size...nothing less than a .243 FMJ.  More than that is better in this case, you never know you may have to take a shield shot.

When to hunt them...really depends on if you are going to eat them or not. I do not reccomend eating wild hog during the warmer months. Let's face it..pigs are nasty animals and the parasites are intesified with the heat.

Hope this helps,
LadyT
Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »
I was looking into it for Missouri. We have a budding Feral hog problem the state wants eliminated before it gets out of hand. There are numerous sites and forums  on this matter. Do a search for hog hunting forums, feral hogs, boar hunting , or any other variation of the subject.
  Check our sister site www.hunting411.net for links to Ga hunting regs and check out the seasons and limits if any.
  Your Dads in the military if I remember correctly. There may be boar hunting available on base. Many of the bases have a wildlife officer whose in charge of restoreing habitat after the bomb the heck out of it, and for wildlife population control. Find this man and you have the keys to the kingdom.
  A former neighbor used to hunt one of the bases in western Ga. Thats how I found out about this.
 Suggested weapons are deer rifle/shotgun or bow with fixed blade broadheads. Don't even think about mechanical broadheads on these beast. They're too unreliable under these conditions. A wild boar has a very tough "sheild" of calius and tissue on his shoulders and sides that will take a very tough broadhead  to penetrate. Mechanicals just won't cut it(no pun intended). Remember, If you only wound it, it will hunt you back, with a vengence. And they're good at it. Make sure your weapon of choice is up to the job and then some. I would think 30 cal or bigger.
I've never hunted them yet but have researched it a bit. If I'm wrong , I'd sure like to hear about it from some more experienced hands. Might prevent me from making a serious mistake later.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:27:37 PM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »
Thanks LadyT!

Hey MOSPARKY I never knew about that but your right my dad was in the military so I will definately have to look into that, seems like a heck of a deal.  I was planning on using a 30-30 so I think I should be okay there.  and about it hunting me back, doesnt that give you more of an adrenaline/satisfied feeling once youve done the deed?  I think it would but Im still awaiting more comments.  thanks for al the info guys.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »
Ive already checked out all those pages and cant find anything for boar, I found a crow season which puzzles the heck out of me but no boar?  ill just have to use the telley and see whats going on.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
Ok, I downloaded the Ga. regs 2005-06. Page 12 states there is no closed season and no limits on private land. National forests get a little strange. Method restrictions matching the prevailing game season. But no mention of off season.
 you can go to http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaynavigation.asp?TopCategory=247 and download the regs ( 7.2M pdf file takes awhile) or look around at walley world or other gunshops to find a left-over hardcopy.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »
.....I live in Georgia,and to be sure we've got alot of great boar hunting here! I've had half a dozen under my deer stand here last year,but didn't shoot one (waiting for my deer).
..........The hogs here are from domestic stock that has returned to the wilds. The true Russian Razorback is more numerous up in the Tenn. mountain areas. The largest wild hog I know of was killed here in GA ,a year or 2 back. It was estimated at 1200 lbs.later National Geographic exhumed it's remains and it's scientists claimed it would have been closer to 1000 lbs. It was 12' long. You can see a photo of the hog on the GON website.
.........There is much discrepancy on what constitutes the right choice in caliber for a hog killing rifle. Folks who shoot hogs just behind the shoulder,as you'd shoot deer, have all manner of horror stories about wounded hogs. They tend to prefer big bore guns like the 45/70 , or at least .30 caliber and up, highpowers. In truth hogs aren't hard to kill,WITH HEAD SHOTS! Here in Georgia  MANY hogs are killed with .22 magnum rimfire rifles. Our state REQUIRES rimfire small game rifles when hog hunting on state wildlife management areas during the offseason (outside deer season).
.........I don't hunt the critters,since they don't interest me as tablefare,but i've friends who do,and kill them with .22 mags every year. Don't get me wrong there's folks that say the hog beats venison everytime for flavorful eating,just not my cup of tea..
........Once while on a father/son hunt an island WMA here,my son and I were charged by an irate sow whose piglets we'd just spooked from thier 'nest'. These critters can get real nasty.
.........No animal returns to the wild state as quickly as a hog. They mutate,snout elongate,hair increases ,tusks lengthen,ect. all "within one generation". It's astounding to researchers,but a domestic pig can be released to the wild and taken two or three years later displaying all the physiological body structure of the wild hog,tusks,long snout and all!

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:21 PM »
olhip, thanks so much for that info.  that was a pretty good read i must say.  what part of GA do you hunt in, and do you know any good spots to where I could start hunting them at? Can you just take the meat to a butcher?  Id really like to get started on this, sounds pretty cool.  thanks alot.  Check your mailbox.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 09:29:01 PM »
I've read in many places where hunters say that full grown hogs, especially the males have a real gamey flavor to them, but that the sows aren't so bad, and I've imagined, and hope to test the theory later this year, that the yearling piglets are pretty good, even though they can weigh all the way up to 60+lbs. I'm thinking a nice little 30lb female piglet will make a NICE roasting pig for a campout.

Mmmmm.... pooooork... ^-^
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 09:50:16 AM »
Ks, I'll have the .444 Marlin stoked up and ready to go! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments