October 20, 2017, 10:20:39 AM

Author Topic: Boar hunting...  (Read 4990 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Boar hunting...
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »
Ks, I'll have the .444 Marlin stoked up and ready to go! :twisted:
BC, that hog will look like one of those .17 HMR head shot squirrels, no head! :twisted: O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:14:53 PM »
Ks, I'll have the .444 Marlin stoked up and ready to go! :twisted:
BC, that hog will look like one of those .17 HMR head shot squirrels, no head! :twisted: O0

And that would be a BAD thing????????????????  Then again, I wouldn't get any brains to mix with my scrambled eggs or any tongue. :)  Not to mention the "jowels". :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »
....Seems like even with domestic raised hogs Shoats,(thats  a young hog or sow)are considered the finest tender eating. Prety much any hog under 100 lbs would often be thought of as young enough to be called a shoat.
.......To best get started on Georgia hog hunting,get yourself a copy of the hunting regulations,found in most gun and sporting goods venues,and put out by the Dept. of Natural Resources. You'll find a listing of GA Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs).You'll need a hunting license and WMA stamp (an extra $19.00).The stamp is worth every penny if you depend on public areas for your hunting grounds. Depending on where you live,you'll find at least a couple WMAs within an easy drive, that will offer good opportunities at hogs along creek,river ,or swamp areas. Beaverdam, Horsecreek,Ockmulgee,are amoung the best for high hog populations. But along the Savahnna and Altamaha river banks there are plenty of hogs too.Really there are lots of other spots as well. Visit local area gun stores,firing ranges ect. and you'll find game photos and local tips for your area.
......Truth is hogs aren't hard to find around GA. Of course if you're flush with $,And don't mind parting with some green fold, there are hunting lodges that offer hog hunts with a garantee of success. Those hunts can be had for less than $500,lodging included.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 12:14:53 AM »
 Thanks Hippie for the info. I keep seeing on the bore hunting sites that a rimfire ain't near enough, but then read the Ga. regs some and they limit you to rimfire in some cases. One Military Base here has a hog population and allows hunting but prohibits center-fire firearms. I'd like to do a combination squirrel/hog hunt but the cross over weapons are real limited if you take out rimfire and center-fire. I imagine shots may be fleeting and time may not exist to chamber a slug before the window of opportunity closes. A rimfire will help matters alot.

BC, don't mess up dem jowls !! That's the pivotal point of my favorite breakfast. Fried eggs over a bed of grits with hog jowls and fried green tomatoes. Yeah I really eat like that. What can I say, I ain't skinny for lack of trying.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 12:21:43 AM »
  Fried eggs over a bed of grits with hog jowls and fried green tomatoes. Yeah I really eat like that. What can I say, I ain't skinny for lack of trying.

Yuck, i may be from the south....but i ain't touchin' no GRITS! I like my jowls in a pot of black-eyed peas..LOL

LadyT
Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 12:55:28 AM »
 Darlin' you ain't lived till you've eaten a mess of grits, no cream and suger, just a little salt and alot of black pepper, some runny egg yolks mixed in.... as BC says "Your tongue will slap your brains loose !"

I save the grease from frying the jowls to season all kinds of stuff , including black-eye peas.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:57:14 AM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »
alright yall, the trips planned and Ive got all my gear (that I think I need?) together for the hunt this weekend.  should be a hell of a 3 day weekend, do you guys have any last minute advice on what to bring, gutting a boar, that kind of thing.  another thing is that if I get one on the first day out there how'm I suppose to keep it fresh for the next two days? I guess Im just really bad at planning.  anyways, weve got 100 acres of private property with no buildings anywhere, just land, hog packed land down in Macon GA. Thanks for the help guys!

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »
If the present weather holds (30's & 40'S) just gut him and hang him to cool out, in the shade if ya can. Slipping a game bag over it would be a good move.
Leaving the hide on you have less chance of getting it dirty and it will be more protected from insect. Skinning him will help to cool him out better, this could be debated till the moon turned blue
Your forcast is sayin that it might warm-up and rain this weekend. If thats the case you better have enough cooler space to cut him up and ice him down..

Have a great trip and by all means take a camera so you can share with us....
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 01:59:52 AM »
Don't skin the hog until you are actually ready to butcher it! If you skin it before hand, the meat will dry out. This comes to you from a guy that worked in a hog slaughter plant for 8 years.  I would prefer to hang the carcass in a walk in cooler as soon as possible after field dressing, if it's not cool enough weather to hang it otherwise. Don't lay it anywhere, be sure to hang it soon as possible.  Also, I suggest hosing the carcass as clean as possible after field dressing the hog.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »
Don't skin the hog until you are actually ready to butcher it! If you skin it before hand, the meat will dry out.

John,
That's always been my preference as well but I didn't take the drying effect into consideration.
It just seems to be the best way to help keep it clean.
It appears you have some insight with pork.
What about hang-time in comparison with how beef is professionally aged?
I have always aged my deer/moose and elk the same as one would beef, should this be altered with pork assuming required temperatures are obtained?
A Photo thief owns this forum

Facebook Comments