December 11, 2017, 03:51:47 PM

Author Topic: Boar hunting...  (Read 5057 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Boar hunting...
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 09:53:14 AM »
Same temp as beef and the other meat. To give you an idea of meat drying and shrinking, hog carcasses are hung in a large cooler and sprayed with a weak solution of chlorine and water via sprinklers overhead on their way to the coolers. The coolers are wet and cold. If you have several thousand carcasses cooling down in a cooler and the process of shrinking and drying is progressing because the animal is dead and no longer taking in water, it adds to a lot of loss of weight.  After I quit the packing house I returned there as a chemical company tech and sales rep. Due to my efforts, the company ended up buying all their chemicals and some of their operating supplies from me, including drums of chlorine for the carcass spraying and necessary plant sanitation. So, don't skin the carcass until it is well cooled, at least 24 hours minimum, and then butcher. You can, of course, let the hog hang several days until you butcher.  As you know, the carcass will be much easier to butcher when it has been allowed to be properly cooled down. The meat will be better for eating because of the aging process, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »
so basically Im going to gut it, than hang it in a game bag until we leave?

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 11:03:50 PM »
Depending upon the weather!  If it's cool (in the low to mid 30's), then it's OK to hand the hog.  If it starts getting up into the 40's and 50's, you better have an alternate plan, such as quartering the critter and putting it on ice in a cooler.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »
Depending upon the weather!  If it's cool (in the low to mid 30's), then it's OK to hand the hog.  If it starts getting up into the 40's and 50's, you better have an alternate plan, such as quartering the critter and putting it on ice in a cooler.
do you have to be more on the ball watching the tempature with hogs than you do other "medium" game? i woulda figured to to be pretty much the same as hangin a deer??
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 10:44:37 AM »
I would think pretty much the same as a deer.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
dang, its been rpetty warm these last couple days so well just have to see. when you say quarter the critter you mean cut the whole pig into 4 pieces?  haha stupid I know but just making sure.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 05:37:13 PM »
You got it right, now you might wanna look and see if you can find some basics instructional graphics online somewhere showing some more detail about cutting one up. If you plan to take him to a butcher shop, just quarter an cool him on ice.
I suppose you know if that’s what you end up havin' to do, that you will need to skin him or you will have hair all over the meat.
The cut down the center of the backbone will be the hard one. You will need a good saw to get him cut clean.

Don't tell anyone I ever told ya this, but after I found myself quartering Alaskan moose remote on the tundra, I started takein' along a battery operated sawzall with a good long hacksaw blade in it. That turned a pain in the azz of a chore into a cake walk...If you have one you can get a hold of for the weekend, grab an extra blade or two......

It'll make your cuts look like a pro done it.....
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 07:23:32 PM »
haha thats pretty dang smart there.  I know of some people with sawzaw's but need to see if they'll let me use it for that lol.  One last question, does a hog count as big game?  I dont think so but on the other hand 300+ pound boars arent unheard of.  Should cost me about 20 bucks for a license so other than that im rearing to go, thanks for all the help.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
also another question, when you shoot a pig aim just like a deer right?  you see Ive got alot of learning to do before I go out but at least Im trying lol.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
.......K&P, In my opinion the head shot is often best on pigs. No table meat is ruined,the heavy grissel shoulder plate is avoided entirely,and the pig is down quickly. If a followup shot is needed,make it a carefuly aimed brain shot. Then hang the animal by it's hind feet and bleedout the pig by cutting it's jugular vien.

So far as butchering your hog,there are quite a few deer processors around Georgia that handle hogs as well. Not all processors do however,since it requires a SEPARATE license to butcher hogs,the license to buther deer does not allow the butchering of hogs in Georgia.If you phone a deer processor in your area he'll either offer to butcher your hog as well,or direct you to someone who can butcher hogs for you. I believe you'd be best off having this info before you hunt,so that if you're fortunate enough to harvest a hog,you're all set ,without having to go through the 'leg' work of finding a butcher service after the kill.

If you've never butchered a big game animal before,and do not have the help of an expierenced hunter who has,having it done for you is the simplest ,and I believe the wisest route. It'll cost you approx 50-60 bucks all cut and wrapped. Maybe Mom & Dad would be willing to chip in for all the extra pork it'll put in the family meat locker!

Learning to butcher an animal "properly" ought to include learning where the various muscles lie in the animal. Where the separating cuts are properly made,ect. It isn't the wise course to just have at it with a blade without such knowledge.

When folks mention "quartering" an animal,understand that there are exact points at which the animal is cut apart to take best advantage of it's muscle structure,and provide the best cuts for the cook and table.

Maybe i'm a bit of a fanatic,since I went through the Winn-Dixie butchering school as a young lad,before working as a meat cutter in thier stores. Some folks may not believe it, but the well executed butchering of an animal makes it the more tender, and flavorful at the table..

Facebook Comments