November 23, 2017, 01:39:32 PM

Author Topic: .17 rifle  (Read 3704 times)

Offline vdubya63

.17 rifle
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:27 PM »
Hey everyone I was reading up on everyone talking about the .17 and was wondering is this bigger than a .22. the city law says we can not use nothing bigger than a .22 unless its hunting groundhog. I was thinking of getting one and using it for squirrel next year and also maybe shooting groundhog if you think it will kill them. Thanks in advance

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: .17 rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »
No, it is smaller, except for power! For your city council folks and their way of thinking, all you have to tell them is that it is truely smaller, a .17 caliber vs. a .22 . You are home free, go hunt with the .17. O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »
its basically a .177 pellet gun being pushed by a .22 powder load  so it is smaller than the .22 rifle round, but from what everyone says is more accurate and a little more hard hitting
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »
When it comes to calibers, the rule is the bigger the number, the bigger the caliber.  On the .17, there are two types.  There's the .17 Mach 2, which is a .22 long rifle case that has been necked down to fit a .17 cal bullet.  Then there's the .17 HMR, which is .22 magnum case that has been necked down to fit a .17 cal bullet.  The .17 cal bullet, like Morax said, is basically the size of a .177 pellet.  The only difference is that it packs ONE HECK of a punch!!!!!  With a .22 LR (long rifle) cartridge, 50 yards is getting close to the limit for good accuracy and not having to use "Kentucky Windage" for the bullet drop.  The .17 Mach 2 is flat shooting out to 100 yds +.  I've got a .17 HMR and have been able to hold dime-sized groups at 100 yds with no problem.

Both the Mach 2 and the HMR will be more than adequate for groundhogs.  With the HMR, you'll be able to extend your range a little farther and it's got a little more "punch" then the Mach 2.  With either of the .17's or a .22, when shooting at groundhogs, just remember to hit them in the head.  If you hit them in the body, they'll get in the hole on you and you won't be able to get them out (without a back-hoe or bulldozer!).  The .17 HMR will also take critters up to the size of a coyote, but when you're getting up that size, bullet placement becomes really critical!!!  After all, most .17 ammo shoots a 17 grain bullet.  You can get some ammo with a 20 grain bullet, but IMO, the extra 3 grains doesn't do enough to warrant the extra bullet drop.  That's just my opinion though.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »
ok now i gotta ask, whats the viable distances you can use the 17, both the hmr and the m2 for 'hogs? of course we are talking benched, and good optics, etc etc.. what would you say 130-140 yard? or nore?
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline vdubya63

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »
damn sounds like i need the HMR where would I be able to find these. Does bass pro shops carry them, I have one 5 minutes down the road thanks for all help guys.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:25:34 AM »
Bass Pro Shops should carry them.  You'll probably pay a little more for it there though.  Check at Walmart also.  You should probably check around at some gun shops or pawn shops.  You may be able to find a really good used one for half the price of a new one.  I would suggest getting the Marlin 917.  Plan on spending around $200 for the gun new.  The Savage is OK also, but the Marlin will out shoot it (sorry John!).  Depending upon how you like your triggers and your quest for accuracy, you may want to put a Rifle Basix trigger in it.  The after-market trigger is about $70.  Also, get a good quality scope, with A LOT of magnification.  You can't get pin-point accuracy if you can't zoom in on a particular hair of the critter!!! :twisted:  I've got a 3.8-12 x 44 mm Simons Aetec on mine.  Up to 15 or 18x magnification will do.

As far as the max distance on a groundhog, I don't really know.  I know both John A. and I have popped squirrels well out past 100 yds.  The ones that I've shot at that distance still only had a partial head when I picked them up, telling me that there was still plenty of energy left in the bullet.  I'm guessing you could probably get by with around 175 yds.  Again, that's only a guess.

If we could get Technophile on here, he could probably give you the energy left on the bullet at farther distances.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline john

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 07:47:38 AM »
.22 has a typical bullet drop at 100 yards of between 5.5-6.5 inches
the .17 hmr is about 3/4 of an inch drop at 100 yards
im not a great shot , but with a good scope i have no problem head shooting a squirrel at 100 yards with my .17 hmr

Offline vdubya63

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »
I will go check wal-mart today I get a discount there even on guns so I will let you all know what I find.Thanks for all the info it has been great help.

Zero

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:29:50 AM »
Dang, I am so out of the loop on these new ideas for rounds its sad. Never even heard about the .17.

Facebook Comments