November 21, 2017, 05:45:55 PM

Author Topic: Question on 30.06 ranging?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
Re: Question on 30.06 ranging?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »
.....Hey fellows if we're jumping from a 300 yard shot out to 800,maybe we'd better take anoughter look. With that same 30/06 sighted in at say ,a two hundred yard point of aim. With that 150 grain bullet at around 2900 fps,we're looking at a GREATER than 6 foot drop at 600 yards,and around 750 ft.lbs. of remaining energy (not really suitable for a humane efficent deer killing round,in my opinion) Thats at 600 yards,at 800, energy is probobly just over half what is was at 600,and with a trajectory drop of greater than 9 feet!
.......Shooting long range stationary targets from a bench or prone position is one thing,such shooting can be a greatly satisfying sport,or perhaps necessary in the field of military sniping. BUT in the hunting field,I PERSONALY find such shooting to be in the realm of stunt shooting,more designed to satisfy an overblown ego,than the practice of a principaled hunter.
.......I know that it is in current vogue with some folks to chamber up a super pooper,hot shot overbore cartridge that'll lay down brush forty yards around when touched off. BUT whether this is really wise for the future of our hunting heritage,or for the wellfare of our treasured game animals,would be a question in my mind. Should it be legal? I reckon so,but this is one hunter to whom such game shooting has no appeal.

see i thought the same thing, then a friend of mine got me into groundhog hunting where a 2-3-4-500 yard shot is out there and is also very reachable without a cannon.

And where my friend lives in Colorado that is the norm, it's not a choice.  He either shoots that far or goes hunting and does not kill anything.
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
....I agree Brad with such shooting on Smaller varmits,but we were talking about big game animals(deer specificaly). It takes little energy to HUMANELY dispatch varmits,but big game requires more to put them down humanely,and avoid loosing the animal in some distant reach,where it dies in a sad end.
....I've seen many times around a thousand ft lbs of energy as a widely accepted minimum for soft skinned big game like deer. A woodchuck needs considerably less to be sure.Long range varmit hunting is more kin to sniping than hunting,but I realize there are many who enjoy it. I still hope we as hunters don't  turn our big game animals into varmits to be sniped at 1/2 mile,rather than enjoying the scouting and hunting of the game animal. Just one man's opinion.

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 10:15:19 PM »
i hit a cat from the back porch at around 500 yards with a .22-250 ill admit it was prob luck lol  ;D also this past deer season i hit a spike at around 450-500 yards with the weatherby .270 hit it in the neck i got pics of it ill post

heres the deer.... Spike with me shot with .270 weatherby and doe with a .22-250 rem 700

and this is the exit wounds the left is wat a .270 ballistic tip will do at around 450 yards.......
right is what a .22-250 SP will do at around 75 yards ( he did use HP but it keep blowing the whole shoulders off , didnt believe something so small can do so much damage)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 10:28:48 PM by WVdeerHNTR »
If its brown its down

Offline High Brass

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 07:19:05 PM »
Mature deer measure about 18 inches from back to brisket.  Knowing this helps as you can figure on bullet impact after you shoot your rig at 300 yards. Let's say with a 200 yard zero, you're 2" high at 100 yards and 8 inches low at 300.  This means holding on the backline will put the bullet just high of center in the chest.  Most variables set at 6x subtend 9 inches or thereabouts per 100 yards.  Meaning the distance between the thick portion of the reticle to the center crosshairs should be around 9 inches at 100 yards, 18 inches at 200 yards and so on.  Take a target and put it at 100 yards and have marks 1 inch apart to about 12 inches. Make sure they're bold enough to see and holding the center of the crosshair at the top mark count to the thick portion of the reticle. You may have to adjust magnification more or less to get a known value (I use 9 inches).  Now, use tape or white out, marker, whatever to mark where your magnification is to set that value.  You can now use your scope as a range finder bracketing a deer between the crosshairs and the thick portion of your scope's reticle. Good shooting.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 08:17:06 AM »
wow way too much math and work.. get a rangefinder, or a mildot scope, or better yet, get em in closer....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline High Brass

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
I definately agree with get closer.  I hunted for many years without a range finder and between asking questions and my own fiddling, found out the info that I posted.  Today's laser RF do make stuff easier, hunt safe.

Chad

BBF

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006, 12:11:14 PM »
  600-800 yard shots on deer ??? Was that a real distance with a rangefinder? I would consider a rifle in .50 cal BMG about right.

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »
im new and late to make a statement here but have to. here in fl i have never had to shot that far. heck at the gun range 200yd range only open 1 weekend out of 30 day's ? if i get a shot at 50 to 75 yd thats long. i would sh## my self if i was told to make a shot out that far. makes me dizzzzze thinking about it.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Facebook Comments