December 12, 2017, 11:18:09 AM

Author Topic: Scouting for White tailed deer  (Read 4156 times)

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
Scouting for White tailed deer
« on: February 06, 2006, 12:23:21 PM »
I have been out doing a little scouting since the season closed, and I started to think about the different things I look for while scouting to make my next season even better. For instance Rubs , beds,etc. How about some of your secrets for scouting. What do you look for. Help us all out. Maby it will be your tip that helps us get that buck of a life time. Thanks!   Mike

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
Re: Scouting for White tailed deer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:11:49 PM »
I start scouting right after the season closes,after allowing the deer to calm down.This is the time that theres snow on the ground in mich ,this allows me to back track to areas that give deer ample bedding.I continue to scout all throught he winter and spring and into fall. What I look for in the fall is communal rub lines and primary rub lines so that i can get a picture of the way a buck leaves and enters his core area.Im careful not to disturb the bucks core area. but look at places for contact just outside.I will also observe the patterns of does entering crop fields and thier travel routes.also like to observe from a distance if possible and see what trails are used for escape.Along ridges I look for trails that are just below the horizon and not as well defined this is usually the bucks trail.If elevation maps are available i look at these to pick out natural funnels.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:22:26 AM »
Stoney the sun also rises in the east,the only reason for distance from top to bottom that i can figure has to do with vision,and the way thermal air currents rise.an advantage to being higher up on the ridge is that the veiw of the bottom is better and an escape is just a short run to the top where the deer disapeers from the predators view.also the scent will rise from the bottom along thermal currents as the ground warms allowing the deer an advantage of scent detection.also being just below the ridge the predator can easily miss the movement unless looking straight over the ridge,I have missed bucks this way myself untill it was to late.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:34:42 AM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:24:21 AM »
Stony you and I do think alike,when you come across an area where the rubs become many this is the bucks core area. other rubs are used to tell other bucks that hes in the area.I usually do not spend to much time on scrapes because often these are visited at night.and again there are two types of scrapes.but I will set up in the area.Topo maps are great you can see how the deer will use the points where the land will finger down to a point and enter a field or how they can use bottom draws to travel to and from bedding and feeding areas.I always keep in mind what a deer needs to survive ,food water an area of safety.this is info that can be gleemed of a topo map.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 02:14:17 AM »
There are lots of times that a bucks area overlaps with another,but there is a dominant buck.This is the reason they fight for the right to breed the does.during the spring and summer its quite common to see bucks together ,but once the season changes and the amount of daylight decreases these bucks start to spar and then fight. Scrapes can be used by several bucks and usually at night. but when you come across an area where many trees are torn up this is ta particular bucks bedroom.(I then stay away from there) and set up just outside and ambush.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:22:32 AM »
Last fall I noticed a 7pointer and an 8 pointer in the same area, while I was turkey hunting;a week before bow season...so I sprayed one scrape down with doe in heat well before the bow season was going to begin but they were starting their " territory"well probably a week later when the bow started I put out the same doe scent before daybreak, and had him charge the scent, well before I could even see him...I gave it a few more days because he sensed my presence that day...and I layed out my doe scent after day light, and I had those two at daybreak scenting it out , needless to say I missed the first, spooked the second, and my buddy nailed both of them, we figure they were probably brothers, but I must have figured out the nuetral area, because they came from diffrent directions. It was a creek bottom, between two knolls, between a field and a swamp...it has taken me years to dicover their true travel route in this area, and as soon as I figured it out...I miss...well between this site and my own experience I should be able to get my first buck with any kind of luck this year...happy hunting...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:23:27 PM »
I was reading this and thought Id jump in I hunt steep mountains in NC and I feel the deer like to travel on the east and south east  slopes because in the winter the sun warms these areas up earliest in the mornings and where I hunt the thermals start rising there first. I have noticed deer parralel the highest long ridges and usually leave there sign on flats below these ridges or in low saddles like you all were talking about.

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 06:23:44 AM »
stoney...I read, understand, and respect what you wrote... the only thing is, what I actually used was a synthetic called x-tc...I actually bought it from the dollar store...it doesnt say if its doe in heat, or what but all I know is it'll bring in bucks if you spray it on scrapes...I'll tell yea, the scariest thing in the world is on a calm morning before daybreak, is to hear a buck come charging after the scent you just put out, and you cant see the damn thing...my scent balms were relativily close so I was hoping he wouldnt kill me before I killed him...but I must have moved just right to where he zig-zagged around me and layed down for a couple hours before I got up, moved around, and jumped him...then I I gave him a couple of days...when I returned to hunt him, is when my buddy got the 2 bucks...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:49:13 AM »
stoney...I read, understand, and respect what you wrote... the only thing is, what I actually used was a synthetic called x-tc...I actually bought it from the dollar store...it doesnt say if its doe in heat, or what but all I know is it'll bring in bucks if you spray it on scrapes...

Yep, I understand....   O0  That's why I said your intentions were on the right track and regardless, you in return produced results and thats all that matters. 

What I meant by that was, most hunter will take there favorite scent or lure and dump it on the ground around the area they are hunting. But by you dumping it directly in the scrape, you played the buck at his own game. More times than not, you will see results if you properly place your scents and lures, like you have.

I'm not denying the fact that other products work, but I thought you said that you put out doe scent and that is why I suggested trying a buck scent of your choice for that time of year.  There are tons of good products out there that produce results. The problem I see most hunters running into is not using the product of their choice in the right location to get the best possible results with it.  Like I said, most hunters think scents and lure are magic potions that only take a couple drops dumped on the ground under their tree stand, when in fact, scents and lures are tools and need to be used properly to be productive.  In my opinion you were productive with x-tc because you first used it in the scrape and did'nt dump it on the ground at your tree stand. Plus on the morning you were hunting, you also put it in scent bombs and got the scent into the air to let the bucks know that the criiter that previously visited the scrape is now back in town. So they came looking....  O0

Like I said, you are definitely on the right track. Keep up the good work and keep after them scrapes......  O0  From your first post, it sounded like you have discovered the power that a scrape holds when you manipulate it by placing a scent or lure into it.   ^-^

I'll tell yea, the scariest thing in the world is on a calm morning before daybreak, is to hear a buck come charging after the scent you just put out, and you cant see the damn thing...my scent balms were relativily close so I was hoping he wouldnt kill me before I killed him...

Yea, I know what you mean, it gets my heart pounding everytime. This is another reason why I like the tree stands, when you hear that buck coming up through the woods before daylight, he sounds like a freight train coming and with me being 20-30 feet off the ground it helps ease my mind a bit.......  :shock:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:35:06 AM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:21:29 AM »
Stony,once again that was an insightful responce. Hunting scrapes can be rewarding to say the least if done at the proper times. Having said that however I have always setup at least sixty yds away from a scrape. And depending on predominate winds and the lay of the land in relation to scouted core areas,I might set up a few ambush sites. I agree about the use of scents, this again has to be done right to be effective, and is sometimes over done. I wish I was a little more comfortable with the many scents on the market today, this I am working on.

Facebook Comments