October 21, 2017, 08:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Scouting for White tailed deer  (Read 4102 times)

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
Re: Scouting for White tailed deer
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »
OK now you got me going!!   Stoney please tell me what scents we should use during the hunt like I live in the North East our hunting season starts in Mid October and runs through Jan 1. What scents should we start with and when and what should we switch to Like start in Oct with and then Nov. 10 switch to. Including any combinations and how to use them. And is there any scent sold that we should never use. I have used a lot of scents but as you have shown me I have no Idea what I'm doing. Any info you can give will be great. Thanks for all the great info so far.                 Mike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:49:26 AM by 12 Ring »

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »
I've never hunted deer; however, I hope to be successful this coming season. Now, I have no desire to bring down a record-sized buck, as I'm in this for the meat. So, I'm looking for doe only. I'll leave the bucks for the trophy hunters out there. With that being said, do you have any tips for hunting the female of the species? ???
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 03:01:51 PM »
Gr8 post Stony Creek  O0 O0 O0 Professional or not I think you should write a book on what you know.  And Ks Sniper I will tell you what I know about does. The old Does are as smart as the trophy bucks (they have blown my cover more than once >:()and I think can sometimes be harder to kill cause they dont get rut crazed. I think does follow patterns more than bucks (like trails, feeding areas, and time of day they move). I hunt bucks in the areas that hold the most does in my area. I know you say your not a trophy hunter but when hunting an area full of does during the rut you might be surprised what you see if you dont blast the first one that comes out.  Another thing I have noticed and I dont know exactly why but I have seen does bed down by Mock scrapes that I have made. This is just my 2 cents I will let Stony fill in the details.

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 09:31:35 AM »
Stony again thank you so much for your info. I printed it up so I can refure to it during hunting season. Now when should we start to order lure from you. Would a week before we start hunting be good. Also this year I am going to try to be more selective in what deer I harvest, Last year I shot 10 deer in 3 states all seasons (bow gun  muzzleloader) but its only every couple of years that I take a nice buck. I have always taken any and all deer that give me the opertunity.. I really think by doing this and not letting a lot more of the does walk by I am hurting my chances at a nice buck. I am going to try hard but you know when I get up and that stand and a doe walks by in range sometimes its been weeks since I saw a deer and I let her have it. We don't have the amount of deer here in Ma. that you do in Pa. so when I see one its hard to let it walk.               Mike

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 04:01:26 PM »
Great lookin bucks Stony  O0 O0 O0

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 11:28:20 PM »
Outstanding deer and taxidermy work you got there Stony O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
new to site and like what im reading so far. looks like u- are some smart hunters.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »
I have learned a lot from Stony Creek   O0 Check out the Understanding deer behavior section if ya havent already
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:59:41 PM by ncbuckhuntr »

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 09:16:24 AM »
i have and like it just might have to get some of that  p p . my self i go all nat (no scents) have seen to many deer in past spook ( know why now) thanks stonycreek for info i add your site to my favorites. keep up the good work
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Facebook Comments