October 19, 2017, 05:17:50 AM

Author Topic: Please fill out Sunday Hunting survey  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Please fill out Sunday Hunting survey
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 07:13:07 AM »
I can remember, sometime in the last 15 years NY had a no hunting on sundays law... it may have gone by the way side in the last 10 but not positive... either way hunting pressure is less during the week, and thats when I prefere to hunt.
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 06:18:45 PM »
LOL  yes at one one time NY had no Sunday Hunting in the Southern Tier.  Myself, in my role as a Big Game Committee member  for Region 7 on the New York State Conservation Council. and many other lobbied to get a test Sunday Hunting season passed.  With the support of the NY Farm Bureau and NY Senate Majority Leader Michael Bragman we got a 3 year test passed.  At the end of that time it passed into law without a whimper from any group.

So what did I go and do?  Move to another state that has no Sunday Hunting!  I am originally from Vernon, NY outside of Syracuse and Utica, NY near the Adirondacks. ...Now just another damn Yankee :)
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:09 AM »
We used to have no hunting on sundays in michigan ,but common sense prevailed.

Offline CJ

• www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 12:12:58 PM »
Current e-mail from those opposed to Sunday Hunting.

This email is flying around from the NC Christian Action League. Thought you all might want to see it:

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission held its annual series of public hearings across the state last month, asking for public comments on an array of proposed changes to hunting, fishing and trapping regulations.

One matter of discussion taken up at these meetings was whether or not to amend, repeal or leave intact the existing ban on Sunday hunting. Jeff Springer, a friend of CAL and the pastor of Big Lick Baptist Church, attended one of these public hearings at South Stanley High School in Norwood. Springer said, “The majority that attended these meetings were for hunting on Sunday. As a pastor and a hunter, I am against this. I also feel that most people do not know that this is going on.” Springer was right. Proponents of Sunday hunting have been organized and working to change the law for some time, while likely opponents such as landowners, families, churches, and other individuals are completely unaware of the threat to their peaceful enjoyment of Sundays without hunting.

Rev. Mark Creech, Executive Director of the Christian Action League said, “If concerned citizens, especially Christian people, don’t make their voices heard on this matter, the Wildlife Resources Commission will likely report to the legislature that there is little or no opposition to Sunday hunting, but instead strong support for repealing or amending the current ban. Legislation will later be crafted and introduced in the General Assembly to change the law.

Research provided by the N.C. Family Policy Council reveals there are important purposes served by the current ban:

Sunday is presently the only day of the week many outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy many other recreational activities without fear of being shot. Many persons and families pursue picnicking, hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, climbing and biking activities on Sundays, knowing they are safe from rifle fire. Sunday hunting would compromise this safe enjoyment of many outdoor recreational activities.
The current ban protects rural churches from disruptions that would be caused by Sunday hunting. Many rural churches have services that begin early in the morning and continue well into the afternoon.
Sunday hunting is not family-friendly. The current ban encourages hunters to spend Sunday at home with their families, while a change would entice hunters to be away from their families the entire weekend. Many wives have stated they are against Sunday hunting.
According to discussions in previous years with Wildlife Resources Commission officers, Sunday hunting would strain existing resources by further stretching or requiring additional personnel to enforce hunting regulations on another day of the week.
There are certainly many other reasons that might be noted as to why Sunday hunting shouldn’t be allowed.

It’s critical that persons in opposition to Sunday hunting make their voices heard now.

Although the Wildlife Resources Commission does not have the authority to change any law regarding Sunday hunting, they are coordinating a study on the matter to gather information to be presented to the Governor and the General Assembly to determine whether the ban on Sunday hunting should be lifted. And they are currently compiling comments regarding Sunday hunting in North Carolina.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 10:14:03 PM »
CJ glad to see you here on this site too.

Offline CJ

• www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
This email is flying around from the NC Christian Action League. Thought you all might want to see it:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission held its annual series of public hearings across the state last month, asking for public comments on an array of proposed changes to hunting, fishing and trapping regulations.

One matter of discussion taken up at these meetings was whether or not to amend, repeal or leave intact the existing ban on Sunday hunting. Jeff Springer, a friend of CAL and the pastor of Big Lick Baptist Church, attended one of these public hearings at South Stanley High School in Norwood. Springer said, “The majority that attended these meetings were for hunting on Sunday. As a pastor and a hunter, I am against this. I also feel that most people do not know that this is going on.” Springer was right. Proponents of Sunday hunting have been organized and working to change the law for some time, while likely opponents such as landowners, families, churches, and other individuals are completely unaware of the threat to their peaceful enjoyment of Sundays without hunting.

Rev. Mark Creech, Executive Director of the Christian Action League said, “If concerned citizens, especially Christian people, don’t make their voices heard on this matter, the Wildlife Resources Commission will likely report to the legislature that there is little or no opposition to Sunday hunting, but instead strong support for repealing or amending the current ban. Legislation will later be crafted and introduced in the General Assembly to change the law.

Research provided by the N.C. Family Policy Council reveals there are important purposes served by the current ban:

Sunday is presently the only day of the week many outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy many other recreational activities without fear of being shot. Many persons and families pursue picnicking, hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, climbing and biking activities on Sundays, knowing they are safe from rifle fire. Sunday hunting would compromise this safe enjoyment of many outdoor recreational activities.
The current ban protects rural churches from disruptions that would be caused by Sunday hunting. Many rural churches have services that begin early in the morning and continue well into the afternoon.
Sunday hunting is not family-friendly. The current ban encourages hunters to spend Sunday at home with their families, while a change would entice hunters to be away from their families the entire weekend. Many wives have stated they are against Sunday hunting.
According to discussions in previous years with Wildlife Resources Commission officers, Sunday hunting would strain existing resources by further stretching or requiring additional personnel to enforce hunting regulations on another day of the week.
There are certainly many other reasons that might be noted as to why Sunday hunting shouldn’t be allowed.

It’s critical that persons in opposition to Sunday hunting make their voices heard now.

Although the Wildlife Resources Commission does not have the authority to change any law regarding Sunday hunting, they are coordinating a study on the matter to gather information to be presented to the Governor and the General Assembly to determine whether the ban on Sunday hunting should be lifted. And they are currently compiling comments regarding Sunday hunting in North Carolina.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

,,,,and my reply by e-mail I sent out today.

As a Christian I take great offense at the tone of your e-mail

quote:

I am a Christian and I am making my voice heard, making it heard in support of Sunday Hunting. My wife, my sons and I have hunted together many times over the years. I do not abandon my family in order to hunt on Sunday and my family bonds are strong 24/7 not just on Sundays. I am an elder in my congregation and have no problem going to church on Sunday and hunting in the afternoon. Jesus’ disciples gathered food on the Sabbath day as do I.

quote:

Do you realize more people are injured in EACH of the below activities than are injured totally while hunting? Hunter accidents traditionally involve tree stands (falls), self inflicted gun shot wounds or gun shot wounds to other members in the same party. The number of hunting accidents that occur to the non-hunting public are miniscule and almost too few to mention.

quote:

HUNTING SAFETY
According to the 1991 figures from the U.S. National Safety Council, here are the annual rates of outdoor recreation-related injuries requiring hospital emergency room treatment in the US:

Recreation # of injuries per 100,000 participants

-------------------------------------------------------------

· Football 2,171.1

· Baseball 2,089.6

· Soccer 910.2

· Bicycle riding 904.6

· Skateboarding 869.2

· Horseback riding 464.6

· Ice skating 334.9

· Fishing 141.2

· Tennis 119.7

· Golf 104.4

· Swimming 93.3

· Hunting 8.0

From the same source (1991 figures of National Safety Council), here is the table of accidental deaths in the US: Accident cause Mortality rate per 100,000 people

Automobiles 18.6

Home accidents 8.6

Falls 5.0

Poisoning 2.6

Fires 1.7

Suffocation 1.3

Hunting (among participants) 0.85

Lightning 0.04

Insect stings 0.02

Hunting (among non-participants) 0.001

Currently 43 states allow Sunday hunting, and all 50 states allow fishing, target shooting, stock car racing, and horse back riding on Sunday. Too not support Sunday Hunting shows bias against a legal sport and doesn’t put the Christian Action League in a very good light to other Christians in North Carolina.

Sincerely,

Charles J. Flay Jr.

Boonville, NC

cflay@yadtel.net

http://www.christianactionleague.org/

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 09:26:17 PM »
Found this on another site. It was created for Virginia, but would apply to NC or Pennslyvania as well
The top 6 myths about Sunday hunting:

1. The game needs a day of rest.
One of the original intents of the Sunday hunting ban was to give game species a uniform day of rest. At the time the ban was introduced, at least as early as 1887, Virginia was a far different place than it is today. people hunted six days a week because their lifestyles allowed them to and they depended on game for sustenance. There were no 8-5 jobs to go to, and most people farmed for a living. As a result of almost constant hunting pressure for 6 days of the week, Sunday was declared as a uniform day of rest for game animals. Virginia is a much different place today. Game animals receive only a fraction of the hunting pressure they did during the week then. VDGIF biologists have concluded that there is NO biological reason to keep the ban on the books. Furthermore, 43 other states now allow Sunday hunting, and they have not had any apparent problems with unrested game species.

2. I don't want to police my land against trespassers for a seventh day.
It is likely that any landowner that is having to police their land for 6 days a week, that those who would violate "no trespassing" laws are already violating Sunday hunting laws as well.  the VGDIF recognizes that the majority of hunting licenses that are sold are sold to individuals that have been granted permissions to hunt from landowners, thus it is important to realize that the majority of landowners do not fund the VDGIF through the purchase of hunting licenses.

3. Sunday should be a day of rest and religious worship.
It is not the states place, or anyone elses place, to dictate what others should and should not do on Sunday. Anyone who presents this argument needs to answer this:  On Sunday, do you ever: Mow the lawn, do yard work, wash your vehicles, clean the house, do laundry, wash dishes, go shopping, work, go fishing, play sports, take out the garbage, or go to the gym/exercise? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you are violating the very argument that you offer. I suspect this argument is more of an excuse than a reason.

4. I want to have a day that I can enjoy the woods without the fear of being shot.
Yes, we should all be able to enjoy the outdoors. People who do not hunt, but like to enjoy the outdoors and the woods have just as much right as hunters to be there. Maybe this is why they have almost exclusive use of the woods for most of the year. Our busiest hunting season is general firearms deer season. This runs from about the middle of November to the early part of January. These are some of the coldest months of the year. Are we really to believe that people are out bird-watching, hiking, and having picnics during these cold months? As I have stated, they have almost exclusive use of the woods for a good part of the year, including late spring, summer, and early fall.

5. If an additional day of hunting is allowed, bag limits and the season will have to be adjusted.
When you take into account the explosive growth in white-tail deer population, and the fact that VDGIF officials are looking for ways to reduce that population, it makes no sense to think that bag limits would need to be adjusted. Also, 43 other states now allow Sunday hunting, and it has had no detrimental effect on their seasons or bag limits.

6. Another day of hunting will require more game wardens.
This is not the case. Wardens must already be in the field to enforce the Sunday hunting ban along with other game laws. Also, when House Bill 442 made it to the General Assembly in 2004, the VDGIF released am impact statement. This impact statement clearly states that allowing Sunday hunting would require no budget amendment and would have minimal, if any, fiscal impact.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline CJ

• www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 07:07:46 AM »
LOL  That is some good information.  You have been over to Darrell Hoskins site.  Darrell gives me quite a bit of guidance in fight against Sunday Hunting here in NC.

We are trying to become better organized in our fight for Sunday Hunting and D. Hoskins has provided some valuable input for us.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 10:14:31 AM »
When will the Puritan laws finally evaporate, anyhow? It's evident the no Sunday hunting law is obsolete and asinine to people like us that have only a few days per week to hunt.  What we are dealing with here is a pious approach by anti hunting PETA types to our hunting. When I look at the map I can see clearly that the legal Sunday hunting states are comprised of folks that migrated outward from the nitwit law states. I would move from a state that doesn't allow Sunday hunting, if I could not get the law changed.  When you get religion involved, the whole thing gets really entrenched. Not to dis someone that goes to Church on Sunday, I would rather be hunting or fishing. It should be our individual personal choice as to what we do on Sunday, yes?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 01:14:16 PM »
Well, being a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which does not permit Sunday Hunting, except for crows and groundhogs, I confess to attending "Mass on the Water."  This is slang for Going Fishing on Sunday. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments