October 22, 2017, 03:58:09 AM

Author Topic: Cuts?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Cuts?
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
OK. lets hear it.  How often to you guys and gals cut yourself?  This includes dressing animals and in the kitchen.

The reason I ask the question is that I sliced myself tonight cutting up a big purple onion for a salad.  It was a good one too!  An hour later, it still hasn't stopped bleeding, even with being wrapped in a paper towel and holding pressure on it.  The wife says I need stitches, but what does she know! ???  She tells me that I'm the dumbest smart person she knows!  What does she know!  She complains about having bruises that I can't even see! :roll:

As far as me, I usually get at least 1 little slice a year while field dressing deer.  It's usually not very bad, but just enough to bleed.  Squirrels don't present much of a problem, but I still end up getting cut once or twice each year, again, just enough to bleed.  Home is where I usually get most of my "good" cuts! ;D

BTW, you don't know how hard it is it type with a finger wrapped with a paper towel! ;D ;D ;D  I think I've hit the backspace key as many times as I've hit letters to type! ;D :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Zero

Re: Cuts?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:46:06 PM »
I always get beat to heck and back again hicking the swamps and sloughs tracking game, not to mention saw palmetto fields. If there is a day I dont have a new cut, something is dun wrong.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »
My worst cut was when me and a cohort were double-teaming a doe butchering. I was inside getting the small tenderloin, while he was behind her cutting the backstraps. Just as I grabbed the loin to pull it loose, He stuck his Rambo knife between two ribs and drew it back across the top of my thumb. I spent the rest of that hunting trip shooting left-handed. My right thunb looked like this:  O0
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:05:56 PM »
lets see hmmm drawing blood with a knife... not usually hunting season, useing one to stripe wires i have opened my thumb up.. i am a bit more notorious for drawing blood with other objects, drills, portable drills, hammers, 75 pound spoons (the part that holds the wheel to the wheel lift on tow trucks), wire rope snags... oh any time i get near the wifes car i bleed....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:55:07 PM »
I average about 1 small cut per week. Luckily *crossing fingers* i have never had anything that required stitches.

My husband on the other hand does not get cut as often as i do...but when he does it, he does it right *picture blood spurting here*

About your finger...wash good with soapy water, apply more pressure, then slap some super glue on it. Little trick...if the super glue don't stop it...you need stitches.

This advice comes from a coupla redneck taxidermists without health insurance... O0

LadyT
Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »
BC forget the paper towel everyone that was ever a mechanic knows about the wonderful healing powers of BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE. Wrap it up good and tight. Never mind the funny looks and comments from the wife we all know they don't understand these things. They always want you to go get stitches just because they can see the bone or tendons or some other little detail they find to be gruesome. The absolute worst id having a nurse for a wife when you break a ramrod off in your wrist they won't even use the needle nose vise grips to dig the pieces out.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
 Yes, I do know how hard it is to type. Remember my bout with the table saw and my trigger finger.
 Working in the machine shop, I get cuts all the time, I think. Usually it's from tools so sharp, that I don't feel it, just start wondering where or who these blood stains on the parts are coming from. Wife see a cut on my hand and asks how I got it, I honestly don't know.
 Memorable cuts..About twice a year.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 02:45:41 AM »
I have been pretty lucky for the last few years, even in the shop. The last couple of cut injuries I had was at work. A deer ran into the side of my patrol car during a rain downpour at night, and her head rammed through my door window, the driver's door window. I just recoiled in time, or the deer's head would have struck my face. I received facial, neck, and hand cuts, with a lot of glass in my face. I was lucky I was wearing my (safety) glasses when it happened. One piece of glass was embedded into one of the lens of my glasses and would have struck  the middle of my eyeball.  A while back, a warped wood door with a large window of unapproved glass (1/8" window glass) exploded inward as I started to open the door. I received some cuts on my hands, arm, and wrist. .  I received first aid at our firestation, some butterflys on the cuts,and some gauze and tape fixed me right up. Luckily, it was a cool day and I was wearing a long sleeved BDU blouse (top, to you civilians) and it prevented me from having even more serious cuts. I am thankful I was the first one out that door, because the people that came out later were wearing short sleeves.  :shock:   BC, I have used butterflys on cuts for injured people, and they work great, especially for awkward places to bandage.  Back in '87 I patched up a gal that had a lot of deep cuts on her hand. I butterflyed the cuts. Several days later she was able to visit her family doc. He removed the bandages and asked who did her first aid. She told him, and he remarked he couldn't do any better, even with stitches, and just re-bandaged her hand and sent her home. She was washing a bar glass and it shattered in her hands, really doing a job on her hand.   Maybe you ought to just use some homemade butterflys using the white first aid cloth tape, and then gauze and wrap, and tape. It works great.  I have used butterflys on cuts I have received in my shop, too. Done fixed myself up and saved myself having to have stitches.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 06:54:24 AM »
worst "sporting" cut i ever seen was my father in law about to launch a R/C/ airplane,, hand slipped   WIRRRRRRRRRRRCHRUNCH he didnt even look at it just stuck it behind his back.. taped a towel around it,  flew for another 2 hours then to dotors for 25 stitches....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »
BC forget the paper towel everyone that was ever a mechanic knows about the wonderful healing powers of BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE. Wrap it up good and tight. Never mind the funny looks and comments from the wife we all know they don't understand these things. They always want you to go get stitches just because they can see the bone or tendons or some other little detail they find to be gruesome. The absolute worst id having a nurse for a wife when you break a ramrod off in your wrist they won't even use the needle nose vise grips to dig the pieces out.

Can't say I've ever used the electrical tape, but gray duct tape works wonders too! ;D  Guess I'm going to have to go to the store today and get some "adult" bandaids.  All we had were Spiderman and Batman kids bandaids.  I had to jerry-rig 3 of them around my finger to get it covered after the bleeding stopped.  The good thing is that it's on my left hand.

This cut is the worst one I've had in quite a while! :shock:  Generally, I'll wrap a paper towel or something around it for a few minutes and the bleeding stops.  Not this time!  I think it took about 2 hours to stop bleeding last night.  Guess I shouldn't have sharpened that knife where it would shave, huh? ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments