October 24, 2017, 05:27:59 AM

Author Topic: bow info  (Read 1557 times)

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
bow info
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:12:38 PM »
i have a bow i bought for 200 dollars and it does not shoot that fast what ways can i improve on the speed of it

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: bow info
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:04:51 PM »
The options on increasing the speed of a bow are either to increase the poundage or to decrease the weight/drag of the arrow.  The poundage thing is a no-brainer.  As far as the arrow, the biggest thing would be to switch to carbon arrows or shoot an overdraw.  I don't know if you're doing either right now, but that's about it.  You can also decrease the weight of the broadhead or tip.  Also, on a short shaft (with an overdraw), you may be able to use 4" helical fletching on your arrows instead of 5".  The biggest thing would be to shoot carbon arrows and decrease the weight of the broadhead.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »
Yeah, what BC said.
 I might add that if it's a newer bow, you might be able to have sharper cams added but by that time you could have bought a new bow. Remember the sharper the cams or the more you hotrod the bow ( over-draw, light arrows ect.) the more sensitive and less forgiving the bow is about your shooting form.
 Accuracy is everything. I'd say try some of the things that BC suggested re: arrow /broadhead weights and learn to be accurate. 250 fps or 350 fps don't matter if it ain't on target.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
my bow is a buckmasters btr pro i am pulling 63 pounds with a 28 inch draw and i use a 100 grain wasp boss bullet. My arrows are cheap carbon ones out of cabelas i cant afford good ones right now, i just bought a vehicle

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »
A good rule of thumb to follow for selecting lighter arrows is make sure you don't go under 5 grains per pound of draw weight. So if your pulling 63lbs, take 63 x 5 and this will give you the lightest arrow you can shoot, which would be 315 grains.  Shooting an arrow less than 315 grains out of a compound bow with 63 lb draw weight would basically be like dry firing the bow.

Another thing that slows a bow down is string stretch and the bow being out of tune, plus the limbs may be getting a little weak also. 

Just some things that come to mind that may help you out O0

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 05:36:52 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
CARBON ARROWS NOCKS ABOUT AN INCH DOWN FROM THE CAMS INCREASE POUNDAGE SMALLER FLETCHING LIGHTER PTS

Facebook Comments