October 23, 2017, 12:58:52 PM

Author Topic: human scent  (Read 2500 times)

Offline kjbowhunter

• only one thing better than pse bows, chevy trucks
human scent
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:02:25 PM »
this year i used stealth dust. it is a powder that is placed in a sock and u pat the sock on you. i liked it a lot and in the cold it wont freeze up. i was wanting to know if any of u have used it and what u thought about it. if u have not used it what do u use and do u feel that it works good. ???

Zero

Re: human scent
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 10:59:41 PM »
-.-

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »
I have used cover scent, actual skunk scent. It really has worked great for me.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Zero

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:53:28 PM »
Dun know why people use camo and cover scent, doesnt improve anything, proves one thing, you dont undertand your prey, you just know how to lure it in, thats not hunting, thats giving up, if you dont know how to track dont go into the woods, hunting isnt playing tricks to win, its about following what you want and taking it down, not making it come to you, no single predator EVER waits for prey, they all track and kill. There is no sport to what you call hunting, its all an illusion of you winning, when all you win is nothing more than something you think you earned. Hunting is about outsmarting your prey, tracking it down, and taking it out at all costs. If you cant follow your game without being noticed its not hunting. Its about being a better predator than your prey. You all use these dun gone scents and say it improved your odds? Its nothing more than a mind game. Scents, upwind and downwind mean nothing. Its all about body language. If a cougar stares at you, you dont run, you just stare right back, predator and prey isnt about scents, or camo, none of that matters. If you have to use all that to bag anything, your not a hunter, your someone who never learned the animal to begine with, If I can go out in s*itkickers, a shirt and a hat and do what you all do with all your scents, than I am sorry, you all just dropped a rung in my list, which is why I am done here, after readin all this I have learned one thing, your all not hunters, you dont know your prey if you use all you say you do. You all have officially lost any respect from me. This is my last post here, whenever an admin reads this, delete my account.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:06:19 AM »
Zero how can you say that. tigers,lions and most big cats lie and wait untill game is spotted then stalk.some times they just ambush.Have you ever still hunted a mature buck,scent controll is so important,wind sometimes swirls this is out of your control unless you use masking scent or scent control.The american indian used and reconized the need for scent control.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:39:00 AM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 12:13:18 AM »
Zero now you are just being nuts,try staring down a grizzly and see what happens.You try and make it sound as if you kill these animals with your bare hands ,what a joke.lmao.You know very little about hunting or the animals that inhabit this planet.And just between you and I hunting is not a sport,killing is not sporting but if you eat meat then this keeps you grounded to nature and the planet on which you live.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:46:49 AM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
If you have to use all that to bag anything, your not a hunter, your someone who never learned the animal to begine with, If I can go out in s*itkickers, a shirt and a hat and do what you all do with all your scents, than I am sorry, you all just dropped a rung in my list, which is why I am done here, after readin all this I have learned one thing, your all not hunters, you dont know your prey if you use all you say you do. You all have officially lost any respect from me. This is my last post here, whenever an admin reads this, delete my account.

All I can say is wow.  I can partially see his point about the moron hunters who hunt from the road, only once a year, and stuff like that.  But damn, don't be so closed-minded and un-willing to try new tactics to gather game.  Hell, if history is correct, cavemen, Indians, mountain men, etc. all payed close attention to wind and scents and they all certainly used camo.  Studying predators will also show they pay close attention to the wind to keep there scent from reaching their intended quarry, while they are stalking.  How many of the before mentioned staked out or set traps on game trails without stalking to the kill?

What ever your opinion on is scents, camo, wind, firearm, or whatever, every hunter on here is dedicated to procuring game in the quickest, most lethal, least painful method possible.  Each of us does that in our own separate way.  I don't think it is fair to degrade and look down on a fellow hunter, unless he is doing something unethical or illegal.

Zero, if you happen to read this, calm down, and take everything for what it is worth.  Some of us guys only get to hunt on Saturdays (or have to take vacation time) and hunt in really over hunted areas.  Some of us need to use every trick and tactic available to get game in our sights.  It sounds to me like you are one of the lucky few who have unspoiled land all to yourself.  Enjoy it while you can, sooner or later your area might be the next Walmart.  When that happens and you are forced to hit  public lands you may need to eat your words and result to some of the tactics we have to use.

And yet again I say, in the immortal words of Rodney King....  Can't we all just get along?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:48:20 PM by Mad River »
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 07:43:18 PM »
All predators use camo,nature builds camo right in. example a tigers coat,a polar bears color.etc etc etc. using camo follows natures own law.Stoney and mad I give you guys alot of credit ,you have taken the time to rationaly explain to zero methods used by hunters.But I dont think we need to apologize for these methods,this is the way to hunt ,Im not going to give zero the idea that we just dont have the time to hunt like him,but if I did have time then I would just grab a pair of s%%%kickers and a shirt and hat and rush out there and kill me a deer.If anything I think that zero could maybe learn by reading some of the threads here.I come to this site because you guys are good hunters, and this is the place to further educate our selves in woodmanship.There is not one successful hunter animal or human since the beginning of time that did not pay attention to wind,scent,concealment.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:18:02 AM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 11:53:55 PM »
eddiejohn4 - Thanks for the compliment Sir.  (I am sure Stony will second that.) O0  Also, thanks for backing us up and adding your information on camo. O0

Stony and I were just trying to keep things real and in put them into perspective.  Stony and I spoke this afternoon, on the phone, about this thread and the hostility posted herein.  It's just a shame things took such a negative turn.  Zero is entitled to his opinion, but I think he should have voiced it with a little more tact.

I feel sorry for people with a closed mind and who are unwilling to take advice or see things from another perspective.  It is also a shame when people refuse to educate themselves on hunting, get a really good history on the subject and it's host of tactics.  If I could throw on a pair of "boots", walk out my back door and kill a deer, I would have no need for this site, hunting magazines, or hunting books.  If Zero has it that easy, I am jealuous of the young chap.

Regardless, like I said before, this site has members of all different age groups, back grounds, religious affiliations, and income levels.  Therefore, there are going to be differences of opinion; I just wish people would embrace that fact, have an open mind, and not get so nasty and judgemental.

All right, all right, I am sure no one wants another long winded "Mad River Rant", so I'll quit. :'(

Seriously though eddiejohn4, thanks for the props. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 12:39:03 AM »
Mad you are welcome sir,I have alot of respect for members on this site.That is why I keep comming back.

Facebook Comments