November 24, 2017, 06:18:26 AM

Author Topic: .22 lrs  (Read 4306 times)

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
.22 lrs
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:31:34 PM »
    im thinkin about goetting a new .22 Lr for squirrel and rabbit...possibly fox. i was wonderin wut u all think would be the best over all rifle for The job. My neighbor just got a marlin bolt action and its really nice. so any suggestions would be nice... thanx, matt

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: .22 lrs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 11:55:34 PM »
Skip the 22 and get the 17. O0  I wish I would have. :'(
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
....I'd say stick with the .22lr for it's penetration,variety of loadings,inexpensive ammo,less obnoxious noise level,and wonderful accuracy.

......I believe the first thing to consider is how much money you're willing to spend. Like other purchases we make,quality costs more dough. Fine shooting guns can be had at reasonable prices,but if you're willing to spend a bit more CONSISTANTLY accurate rifles that offer a greater pride of ownership are available in return.

.....We are very fortunate to have a great number of fine 22's available to us here in the US. Many models are fine choices that don't make the 'hit parade' of popular guns spoken of here. There are disapearing models like the Remington 552 semi-auto,572 pump, Marlin 39 lever, and such that offer great accuracy,excellent construction and beauty,but are disappearing because of the mass popularity of rifles that are easier,and cheaper, to produce (10/22-Marlin60 ect..).

.......Sometimes a really uncommon choice may come along. For example,I bought a H&K model 270 (22 rimfire) a few years back. I found this rifle in a local gun store,could see it was of quality construction,had never seen one before(or since!),and bought it. The rifle is a semi-auto,that shoots like a fine bolt gun! 1/2" 5 shot groups at fifty yards. It's of a very European styling and draws attention everywhere it goes,more importantly it shoots most any ammo VERY well! Anoughter Excellent shooting rifle I lucked into,is my Norinco Model 522.This little heavy barrel copy of an Anshutz model 54 action,is a true one hole rifle at fifty yards with quality Wolf ammo,and was purchased for 250 bucks!

......Quality wins out everytime.When I head for the squirrel wood,i've a dozen (or more) 22's to choose to carry,but perhaps 95% of the time I grap my reliable Kimber Hunter model. It's easy to carry,easier on the eyes,and will put the bullet in a squirrel's eye everytime I do my part.I've got a 10/22 Ruger that'l do the same with it's favorite ammo,but i've spent enough on it to make that so,and it just doesn't carry along with it the same pride of ownership that the pretty little Kimber does,nor does it feel the same in my hand,the Kimber has a balance that brings it up faster to target and settles into the shot quicker for me. Anyway ,all this is such an individual man's tastes and preferences,these are mine..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:29:34 AM by olhippie »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:42:41 AM »
Skip the 22 and get the 17. O0  I wish I would have. :'(
>22s are great, but I would rather go for the .17, too.  In fact, I migrated to a .17 and haven't looked back.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
Normally, I would recommend the. 17 also, but since you're still kinda' young, a .22 would be a better choice.  You can't very well afford to shoot a .17 just plinking around at stuff.  99.9% of the people on here cut their shooting teeth with a .22.  We all didn't get to be "crack shots" by just shooting at stuff every now and then.  It was from running brick after brick of ammo though our .22's. O0

As far as a particular gun, there's too many good ones out there to really single one out in particular.  Start at a pawn shop or a gun shop looking for a good used one.  If you beat the crap out of it (which will probably happen), you won't have that much money invested in it.  As far as action style, you'll go through less ammo and be more accurate with either a bolt action or a pump.  With a semi-auto, there's the tendency to just throw lead down range without ever actually "aiming".
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 02:33:39 AM »
As much as these folks love their .17's, BC included, I agree that the .22 will be your best friend for a long time to come. With the ammo as cheap as it is, and the wide variety of firearms to choose from, you can't go wrong with it at your age. I also agree with BC's point of action types. A pump is good, a bolt is better, but a single shot is the way to start in my eyes. My old man only ever let use single action firearms for quite some time and when I was about your age (That's it... that one comment made me old...), I was shooting Bayer Asprins @ 50yds. Like BC said, you don't get good by shooting here and there, but by going through brick after brick of focused target practice. I garuantee you'll get to know your new rifle so well that you won't even have to focus so much as just point and shoot, cause you'll just know where that bullet is gonna hit.

Okay... enough of the soapbox, that's my story and I'm stickin with it. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:56:42 AM »
Listen up Young'en, Dem fellers know what they're talking about.Semi-autos will definately encourage you to spray lead., but on the other hand you can have so much fun doing so, you'll want to get out and do it as often as you can. (brick after brick). The bolt guns,single- shots, and pumps will force you to slow down, concentrate and make you a good shot in less ammo.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:38:23 AM »
My dad started us out with a pump up pellet gun, lighting strike anywhere wood kitchen matches at 25-50 ft. Hitting the head didn't count, we had to light the match. We then graduated to .22s.  My first .22 was an old hex barrel Winchester pump .22 WRF, a ancestor of the .22 mag. The rifle was from a trade my dad got screwed on. He traded one of his .38 pistols for the rifle and a rotten wood boat that was so rotten it could not be used. :-[ The ammo for the rifle was so expensive, $1.60 per box, that I had to finally trade it for another .22, a Winchester Model 74 semi auto .22 short. My brother then bought himself a Model 74 in .22LR. . There is no doubt the .22 is one heck of a small game rifle. The .22 WRF ammo was so expensive to shoot that even most working adults could not affort the ammo. My dad didn't realize what the letters WRF stamped on the barrel meant until I tried to shoot regular ammo in the rifle.  Many people back then worked for $1 an hour, so you can imagine the ammo cost burden of $1.60 per box.  BC makes a very good point on starting with a .22, even though we are shooting .17s. I have owned probably 40-50 .22s, and liked all of them.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
kool, thanx guys

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »
....Hunter 220, Anoughter thing that is seldom ever spoken of in choosing between the .22LR and the .17HMR (or even the .17 Mach2), is the extreem difference in the report of the two rifles. The sound signature of a 22 with standard velocity ammo(below the speed of sound) is of a decible level that would be very difficult to hear from 200 yards or less away. On the other hand the 17HMR being more than twice the speed of sound has a sonic boom associated with its report,which causes the decible sound level to rise well into the area that is damaging to human hearing. Starting a child out with a .17 which he well may shoot over a lifetime of hunting pursuits, is a great recipe for hearing loss in adult life. This is no small matter to consider,especialy when the 17 kills small game no deader than the 22,and hearing acuity is so critical to many hunting pursuits.

I know I mention the sound signature of firearms more than anyone on forum,but that is because i've seen men who loved to hunt become quite handicaped by hearing loss. Always use hearing protection when practicing at the range,or your prefered shooting spot. Along with that,I believe it wise to choose a caliber/gun combo of sufficent accuracy and power as to be a humane killer of the chosen game,but with no greater sound level than is necessary to meet that goal.

Many don't pay much heed to this matter. You may be assured that they will expierence some degree of hearing loss,in accord with thier quanitative shooting level, and the calibers they use for that shooting. I know this is so,i've got some hearing loss myself,directively attributable to my extensive shooting over the years (i'm in my 65th year now). I've been fortunate enough to find the loss earlier on and since my forties i've saved my hearing from further damage by using standard 22 ammo for my squirrel hunting,and ALWAYS using hearing protection whenever possible..

Young fellow,realize now the great blessings GOD has bestowed upon you  with  keen senses. Treat them as sacred gifts and they'll serve you well for your ENTIRE lifetime!

Facebook Comments