November 23, 2017, 04:14:24 AM

Author Topic: .22 lrs  (Read 4304 times)

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: .22 lrs
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »
        well it seems that i should start out with a 22.    i guess ill start loking around for some.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »
The stuff olhippie says about the hearing loss is true.  Whenever you're shooting, you should have hearing protection on.  A .22 LR report doesn't really sound like much, but given time, IT WILL damage your hearing.  The .22 is responsible for more hearing loss than any other gun!  I'll be 36 this year, and I know my hearing is crap!  I'm continuiously asking people to repeat themselves and have started learning how to read lips because I know I'm going to have to resort to it before too long.  TOO MANY GUNS is the reason!  Any more when I shoot, I've usually got double ear protection on (ear plugs and ear muffs).  The reason for double is that it protects the hearing more and with shooting glasses on, the muffs won't seal around the ears properly.

Look around at some pawn shops for a decent .22 LR bolt action or single shot.  The pump action will probably be pretty hard to find, as well as a lever action.  You should be able to find a good bolt action for about $50-60.  A new one will cost about $100-150.  Get the used one and spend the extra money on ammo! O0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:56:14 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »
Get a used .22 bro, it seriously is the way to go.  I just saw a brand new savage .22 with a real nice bushnell scope get handed out for 80 bucks.  most of all jstu be safe and have fun with it.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
......Morax, Try that Wolf ammo I mentioned on the other thread,and you'll be surprised at how quiet it is! At 1050fps it's slower than the speed of sound,and renders a sound signature thats hardly identifiable as  a gunshot! Still it's plenty deadly and flat shooting out to 60 yards or so,while printing groups well within a squirrel's head! Try it you'll see,it'll end the threat of further hearing loss..

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 06:43:15 AM »
......Morax, Try that Wolf ammo I mentioned on the other thread,and you'll be surprised at how quiet it is! At 1050fps it's slower than the speed of sound,and renders a sound signature thats hardly identifiable as  a gunshot! Still it's plenty deadly and flat shooting out to 60 yards or so,while printing groups well within a squirrel's head! Try it you'll see,it'll end the threat of further hearing loss..

ok there olhip, you thinking bout me again here? what i use out of the 22 is the cci stingers, a hp that prints at 1/2-5/8 inch groups at 75 yards, i never printed it at 100 but i can pop centers out of clay pigions there.. at 37 years old my hearing is toast, a combo of shooting, riding loud bikes, riding looud cars, trying to listen to the wife.... but there is a marked difference in left to right side loss though too...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 08:32:34 AM »
Since the hearing thing came up...

I am right handed with sever damage to the hearing in my left ear.  I would assume this is because the right ear is further from the gun barrel and angled away, while shooting a rifle.  Unfortunately, hearing does not improve with age.  About 4 years ago, my doctor figured I would completely lose the hearing in my left ear by the age of 40.  Well, I turn 34 in March, and I am really starting to believe what he said.  Are you guys with hearing loss the same way?  What hand do you use and which ear has the loss?

All you youngsters reading this, make sure to wear hearing protection, especially when target shooting.

I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »
On the subject of hearing loss, I have my share on both sides, though I have more loss in my left ear and I also shoot right handed. Could be a link, though I wear hearing protection EVERY time I shoot, even when I hunt. I just picked up some of those game ears and am eager to find out how well they work.

I think that if you're careful with your hearing and always wear protection, you'll be fine. Learn to rely on your sight as much as your hearing and you'll find you can notice the game moving before you ever hear it. :roll:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »
I am left handed, and my left ear hearing is worse than my right ear. With the constant ringing, it makes it difficult to pass the class A physical every year at work. I was blown about 8-10 feet by a 4th of July type of mortar round that landed in rocks and water among some of us, and I couldn't hear anything for quite a while after I regained concienceness. The shrapnel I received was mostly rocks, but I wasn't hit in the ears with anything but concussion.  That has a lot to do with my hearing loss. Huh, what did you say? Could you repeat that? Like BC, I catch myself lip reading when someone is talking to me.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »
I guess compared to John Andrews and Big58Cal, I shouldn't complain about my lack of hearing. :-[

My right ear hearing is normal, but my left ear hearing is equivalent to that of an 80 year old. :'(

The only time my hearing loss bothers me is when I am on the phone and the wife starts telling me to say something while the person on the phone is talking too.  Then I can't make out a darn thing.  That just happened last night when I was speaking with Morax, and the night before, when I was speaking to Stonycreek.  I am just glad I don't need to take a lip reading class, yet.

Ks_Sniper, I think there is something about shooting right handed and being left ear hearing impaired.  Me, my dad, and my uncle, all shoot right and have left ear hearing loss.  I bet some of the left handers on here have right ear hearing impairment.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 07:47:19 PM »
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/915ys.aspx   

is this the kind of gun u think i should start out with. cause my neigbor has it and its realy nice

Facebook Comments