October 18, 2017, 04:36:41 PM

Author Topic: Neoprene Warning....  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Neoprene Warning....
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:27:24 AM »
Have you ever received a serious injury from a piece of sporting equipment or clothing? ???

This is just a question and somewhat of a warning.

Last Easter, I went fishing on the White River, outside of Cotter, Arkansas.  Great trout fishing by the way.  My birthday was in March, so the wife got me a nice pair of Stocking Foot, Breathable Waders from L.L. Bean for the trip.  I was excited to say the least; it was my first pair.  So after sixteen hours driving, we get there around noon.  We buy the licenses, check into the motel, get dressed and head for the water.  I was all happy in those new waders, not having to deal with the rubber hip boots I have used for years.  To make a long story short, I wore the waders for about four hours, headed back to the motel, got cleaned up, had dinner, had a few beers, and went to bed.  The next morning I woke up, and thought, man, my feet are hot and sweaty.  Well, I pulled of the covers, looked at my feet, and almost passed out.  My feet were purple with orange filled blisters all over them.  This area was right were the neoprene booty was.  I said, "Dad. I need a doctor, like pronto."  He said what are you talking about?  I showed him my feet and we were off the the ER.  I got a shot and all of the dead skin scraped of my feet.  What fun.  The rest of the week long trip was spent on the couch of the motel, with my feet in the air covered in some ointment.

It doesn't end there.  By the time I got home, I was feeling sick and one of the glands in my neck was all swollen.  So, I made an appointment with the family doctor, who was seriously considering putting me in the hospital.  From all the damage done to the skin of my feet, I contacted a staph infection.  I was off work for almost three weeks, did two courses of strong antibiotics, and a few courses of oral steroids.  That was quite an expensive way to find out I am supposedly allergic to neoprene.  (I just thank God I wasn't scuba diving in a neoprene suit.)  To this day, I am still not completely healed.  The doctor said this reaction was almost like having a sever burn.

I did some reseach on neoprene, and apparently, these reactions are not uncommon.  Neoprene, supposedly gives off a gas as it cures.  From my understanding, this curing takes quite a while.  So, if you get some new neoprene product, you might want to air it out for a few months and wash it several times to remove all the chemicals.

Needless to say, the Stocking Foots got traded in on Boot Foots, without neoprene. O0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:37:07 AM by Mad River »
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Here is a weird one....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:05:41 AM »
   wow, i have boots that i use for fishing, and i was thinking about getting waders, i have some second thoughts now :-\, that sounds really bad so im gonna stick with the boots O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 05:34:56 PM »
  :shock:  :shock: WOW! That was some ordeal! I hope you get healed up soon. Dang, that tells me to never buy a pair of those. Thanks for the warning and the excellent post! O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »
so far the only thing i ahve had a bad reaction to is my carpet.  i like the sllep on the floor more then my bed and whenever i sleep on the floor my eyes get puffy.  so one day i didnt have any blakets on the flore or on me just bare on the carpet and i woke up to see...well not to see anything both eyes were swelled shut :-\ lucky me....
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »
Dang, SQ! I wonder what is in the carpet you are having the severe reaction to? Perhaps something like Carpet Fresh, or animal dander, such as a cat?  We Gutpilers can help you out with the cat problem, if that's the case.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »
On another forum I used to frequent, one fellow, who lived in the boonies, would put out a can of cat food on his fence. He would wait for a stray to wander on in and munching down on the grub. When the cat turned with his southern end facing the fella's position, he'd let the cat have it... with a 375 H&H. Next thing you know, the cat was inside out. Kinda like the pig-lizard from Galaxy Quest. :twisted:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Neoprene Warning....
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
Jesus Christ, Mad River!

That's one I've never heard before.

Glad you made it back. Has a doctor or anyone with knowledge told you how you can wear waders?

Seems like you're like me and destined to take Prednisone (I have asthma) for the rest of your life too!!!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:48:49 AM »
Jesus Christ, Mad River!

That's one I've never heard before.

Glad you made it back. Has a doctor or anyone with knowledge told you how you can wear waders?

Seems like you're like me and destined to take Prednisone (I have asthma) for the rest of your life too!!!!

Boot Foot Waders, not Stocking Foots, and I should be okay.  I took a but load of Prednisone during the ordeal, but none since.  That was quite a miserable ordeal, and like I said, after doing some research, reactions to neoprene are becoming more and more frequent.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 07:06:08 AM »
I'm liking the old hip boot waders more and more...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 08:39:22 AM »
I'm liking the old hip boot waders more and more...
Well said, and my opinion, too!  O0

Facebook Comments