October 19, 2017, 06:02:13 PM

Author Topic: Why so Long before Telling the Truth?  (Read 3941 times)

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Why so Long before Telling the Truth?
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »
I only question his procrastion. I do not question if it was an accident, but why wait to tell anybody, or tell the public that your human. The fact is he did not make sure of his target, or it's backround, something that is the second thing you are taught in Hunters saftey.   :-[  ???  :shock:

By LYNN BREZOSKY, Associated Press Writers

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Vice President     Dick Cheney accidentally shot a 78-year-old hunting companion during a weekend quail hunting trip after the man went to retrieve a bird and Cheney failed to spot him.
Harry Whittington, an Austin attorney, was in stable condition late Sunday in the intensive care unit at a Corpus Christi hospital, where he was flown after the shooting late Saturday afternoon at the Armstrong Ranch.

The vice president visited with Whittington and his wife before returning to Washington on Sunday. Cheney "was pleased to see that he's doing fine and in good spirits," said Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride.

Whittington sent word through a hospital official that he would have no comment on the incident out of respect for Cheney.

Katharine Armstrong, the ranch's owner, told The Associated Press that the accident occurred after Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of a car to shoot at a covey of quail.

She said Whittington went to retrieve a bird he shot. Cheney and the third hunter, whom she would not identify, walked to another spot and discovered a second covey of quail.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," said Armstrong, who was in the car.

"The vice president didn't see him," she said. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

Armstrong said the shotgun pellets broke the skin.

"It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that," she said.

The accident was not reported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after it was reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times on its Web site Sunday.

McBride said the vice president's office did not tell reporters about the accident Saturday because they were deferring to Armstrong to handle the announcement of what happened on her property.

Armstrong said everyone at the ranch was so "focused" on Whittington's health Saturday that it wasn't until Sunday she called the Caller-Times to report the accident. Her ranch is about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi.

Sally Whittington told The Dallas Morning News her father was being observed because of swelling from some of the welts on his neck. His face "looks like chicken pox, kind of," she said.

Emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington before he was taken first to a hospital in Kingsville and then transferred to Corpus Christi.

Whittington has been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has long been active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed to several state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the Texas Funeral Service Commission.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year and is "a very safe sportsman." She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

The 50,000-acre Armstrong ranch has been in the influential South Texas family since the turn of the last century. Katharine is the daughter of Tobin Armstrong, a politically connected rancher who has been a guest at the White House and spent 48 years as director of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. He died in October. Cheney was among the dignitaries who attended his funeral.

Cheney was legally hunting with a license he purchased in November, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Why so Long before Telling the Truth?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:19:04 AM »
I don't recognize any excuse for one hunter shooting another hunter, or anyone else, either.  The accidental shooting in Texas was preventable, should never have happened. Shooting accidents such as that one are caused by carelessness, nothing else. On the other end of the stick, many people would ask why it's not open season on lawyers. :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »
like i said in another post when u shoot birds dont u shoot up?
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:57:48 PM »
like i said in another post when u shoot birds dont u shoot up?

I have shot plenty of birds on the ground, and at eye level. I have hunted with others on these hunts too, but never even came close to having them in my path, remeber they are there, and always keep a eye open for them, they may move faster than you.  ???
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »
'
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:55:57 AM by jeffalaska »
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:54:41 PM »
All I can say is I hope I'm still hunting at 78.  Even if there is a medical crew walking behind me. O0
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline biteme

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:09:29 PM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:56:19 AM by jeffalaska »
A Photo thief owns this forum

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »
....Tough for me to think of any form of hunting that lends itself more easily to an accidental shooting than quail hunting. Quail often stay rather low in flight and drop back into the field quickly. Combine the quail,s flight style with several men combing the area at times,dogs too, and the recipe for error is all set. Make the hunters a group of elderly fellows and its a good idea to carry along medical help for sure!

Alot of political hay will be attempted with this unfortunate happening thats for sure. I just pray that both men, Cheney and Mr. Wittington come out of this A OK!

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:11:31 PM »
I don't recognize any excuse for one hunter shooting another hunter, or anyone else, either.

You know, I thought the same thing until the last day of Pennsylvania Squirrel Season.  My wife joined me for an evening hunt; she wasn't hunting, just walking around, looking good in blaze orange.  Anyhow, we walked up this old tram road, to a thicket, where I got the two red squirrels the weekend before.   So, we are on top of this hill, and I hear a squirrel bark, so I walked toward the sound coming from inside the thicket.  I hear the barking, no more than 15 to 20 feet in front of me.  Then it stops.  I hear the brush moving but can't see a darn thing.  I figure the squirrel is moving on the ground.  Then I see this flash of gray, so I pull the 12 Gauge up, remove the safety, and have my finger resting outside the trigger housing.  Again, not on the trigger, on the trigger guard.  Something, however, just didn't seem right.  I waited, keeping the gun up, but resetting the safety.  Sure enough, and old guy sticks his head up out of the thicket and is staring down the barrel of a Mossberg 835.  I pulled the gun up, and said to the man, "You are damn lucky I always verify my target; you almost lost your goatee."  He says, "Thanks sonny, I thought the season was over, otherwise, I'd be wearing my orange."  We spoke for a few minutes, he apologized again for not wearing orange and I apologized again for pointing my weapon in his direction.  Talk about avoiding disaster.

Now, you are probably wondering why he never heard or saw me and I never saw him.  He never made me because he was using a metal detector with headphones and scanning the ground, not looking up.  I never saw him because he was wearing a totally perfect, late fall, gray camouflage jumpsuit with a hood.  Talk about the perfect making of a hunting accident.

Lesson = Always Make Sure You Know Exactly What You Are About to Shoot.  No Excuses.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »
This whole thing sounds like a lot of late nite fodder for Letterman and Leno :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments