October 21, 2017, 12:57:38 AM

Author Topic: report on the new pup  (Read 1951 times)

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
report on the new pup
« on: February 15, 2006, 09:13:27 AM »
 wow, anyone that has never owned a rat terrier , all i can tell you is these dogs are way to smart!
9 weeks old walking on the leash with no pulling, sit on command, pretty much house broken( assuming we do our part and let her out). her favorite toy is a tennisball with a fake fur squeekie squirrel tail. 
my daughter brought her beagle over and the pup backed that dog into a corner and taught him some manors. then they became friends and chased each other round and round.
if you haven't used clicker training with a dog i highly recomend you read up on it and use it.
i took the dog out on a leash for her first walk. naturaly she sat and fought the leash. i stood at the end of the leash and waited. when she cam to me i clicked and gave her a treat. then i stepped away again. she moved right up to me. click another treat. took about six steps. she stayed right with me . click treat. 12 steps... right by my side. click treat. walked to the end of the block.... stayed right with me, click treat. walked all the way home, the pup right beside me the leash loose. like she had been trained to heal all along. click treat. all this without saying anything to her.
thats how easy every training session is with clicker training. wait for them to do what you want , click treat. you don't put a name to what their doing till they are doing it consistantly. god when i think of the time i've wasted training dogs with other methods,,,,,grrrr....bad owner,,,, bad boy!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: report on the new pup
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:52 AM »
That is really cool, something new for me. If my wife trys that with me and the clicker, I will be onto her. :wink:  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »
i know of the clicker, it works pretty good, but ya also dont want them dependant on the treats that they also associate with the clicker... i got mine trained here for verbal silent and one is trained for german as well... go ahead break in  :shock: 
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »
Now there's definitely something I'm gonna have to try when I get me a dog. Good info.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »
Sounds like you got a winner of a puppy. O0

Never heard of the Clicker Trick, wish I would have know about that when I was attempting to train the family mutt. :'(  Do you have a wife and kids to screw up your training and say you are being mean? ???  Our family dog responds differently to each member of the house hold, quite weird. :shock:  The only good thing, is she knows I am the boss. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:39:30 PM »
theres some good info on clicker training on the net, just do a search. and yes you only use the treats to get them going on a behavior, then only to reinforce every once and awhile, before long treats aren't needed.
the only other thing i can say is study it first so you really understand it. if used wrong it will mess you up.

Offline john

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »
like any training with animals you have to train the owners first. im the only one that works with her right now. with the exception of potty training. i showed everyone how to do it. its simple. and works so well they all got on board with it quickly.
and no it doesn't work with the kids,,,,,i tried.
Sounds like you got a winner of a puppy. O0

Never heard of the Clicker Trick, wish I would have know about that when I was attempting to train the family mutt. :'(  Do you have a wife and kids to screw up your training and say you are being mean? ???  Our family dog responds differently to each member of the house hold, quite weird. :shock:  The only good thing, is she knows I am the boss. O0

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 06:55:16 AM »
I'm in the same boat as mad river...I wonder if it works with 3 year old's(...dogs, not kids)... I will have to check this thing out.  My dog definitly isnt afraid of gun blasts, and is basically a good dog to chase rabbits , its just trying to get him back to the car to go home, or if he gets out of the house he usually doesnt go to far but will just run around and never actually get close enough for anybody to grab him. someimes I wonder if I should just leave his dog food outside and let him roam as he pleases...I live in the country so the leash law doesnt really apply here but my 'ole lady wont go to bed or do anything unless he's inside.
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Morax

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 07:01:12 AM »
I'm in the same boat as mad river...I wonder if it works with 3 year old's(...dogs, not kids)... I will have to check this thing out.  My dog definitly isnt afraid of gun blasts, and is basically a good dog to chase rabbits , its just trying to get him back to the car to go home, or if he gets out of the house he usually doesnt go to far but will just run around and never actually get close enough for anybody to grab him. someimes I wonder if I should just leave his dog food outside and let him roam as he pleases...I live in the country so the leash law doesnt really apply here but my 'ole lady wont go to bed or do anything unless he's inside.

well, at 3 he is still young enough to learn it, but old enough to ignore it too, you could get some good results, but not "very good"  ones you know.... outside being able to run is a whole different thing than being leashed and still under controlled situation. mine walks outside without a harness poof full tilt run for prop. line slides to stop runs to other line slides to stop. put on harness (no leash) and is no more than 8 inches fromleg

Offline Morax

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 07:05:06 AM »
i accually know of a couple who have done this with thier two sons and it does work on kids, but i dont think i would be doing it really.. they also have used the pennies in the jar for the determent noise on thier kids... weird couple of peoples... my personal favorite for kids and wifes though is still the shock collars...

Facebook Comments