December 13, 2017, 01:55:58 PM

Author Topic: Crayfish Trap Building Guide  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Zero

Crayfish Trap Building Guide
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:51:40 PM »
Version .1 Ė Next version to have picture support.

Craw fishing Trap building sounds like a hard thing to do. Its really not, just need some chicken wire, and some time. There are hundreds of ways to make traps. Converting triangle crab traps have done exceptionally well for me. Reason for this, is that crawfish naturally panic and 8 out of 10 escapes they go down stream, they usually hunt and feed upstream from there hiding spots, in case something goes wrong, one quick snap and there back home. So letís start with from scratch building, my only regret is I got no pictures for this, donít own a camera. I will get my brother to get some pictures or a friend and redo this with step by step photos so you know where youíre at. As I read johnís guide he has the same idea as me to making one, a little bit more up notched in doing one than me. Its simple fact, predators like easy meals, and turtle along with the stray strap gator will pick up on the chance to eat free food. We all would. Bear with me my English goes about as good as my southern lets it go. So letís get started.

Step 1 Supplies:

Chicken Wire Ė I prefer the smallest I can find, for the simple reason, you will catch the crawfish and whatever decided it wanted it, on rare occasions I catch crawfish and a decent amount of small brim with it. Use the brim for bass bait, but shhh ;). I can make about 4 traps for 13 dollars; this depends on how many you want and how big of a roll you get.

Pliers Ė For twisting the wire ties tight.

Steel Cutters Ė Donít know the actual name, but for cutting the chicken wire.

Binding Wire Ė Can be any wire, something to fasten the pieces together.

Step 2 Variations:

Depending on where your going, the traps will vary, biggest recommendation for it, is bait box the area prior to harvesting it, it will bring all kinds of things in from far and wide, but the purpose is to see what and how many crawfish will be around, you just leave the box out there for the day, keep it up for 4 to 5 days, they will find it as a reliable food source and start gathering around the area to feed, and it fattens them up a little.

For still water areas, you donít need to worry about fighting currents, and such, so a small circle trap would work ideal, in rivers or creeks with a source of decent current, and box or triangle trap with drop door works impressively. So throughout this guide I will cover the construction of both for you people up north on rivers or creeks, and for the people on ponds.

Step 3 Lets get cracking:

Grab a beer and crank some music, it takes about on average for me 45 minutes to make a trap thatís sound, it will vary, so, first thing is first, get your chicken wire, and get a square un rolled, I use the 2 foot rolls:

Triangle or box trap: About a foot to a foot and a half for the bottom part, if you want to make the cuts clean, thatís up to you, I donít worry to much about it though, just means it will poke the hell out ya. :P. Now that you have your piece kind of bend it flat on your knee, it will make working with it a lot easier further into the trap.
Circle Trap: Obviously you are going to want a much more decent size piece, this will be the main body of your trap, with this trap I make an illusion to it that does its thing under water.

Step 4 Pieces:

Triangle or box trap: Next pieces are going to be for a sides, if its triangle it will be triangle, and square, of course, square. Depending on the depth you will be dropping it in, with make the size of the trap, there is no point for 3 foot sides for 2 feet of water. My triangle traps have a height of bout 1 Ĺ , and a base of the side about 1 ľ . With the triangle trap three of your sides are not going to move at all, one side will drop completely. Reason is you can catch the few still on the door when you pull the trap. Now with the box, you want to try to keep the sideís bout the same, so for you all making boxes, cut another piece like the first. Of course with both, you will want to knee it a bit to make it flat and easy to use.

Circle: This one gets tricky, but is good, you want to cut a circle, to use as the end cap for one end, big enough to cap the end, and another piece thatís half a cap. This will be the start of your entrance, or bait door.

Keep in mind, your just cutting the pieces for now, so you can slap it all together at once and not get poked to heck and back again.

Step 5 Getting there:

Triangle or box trap: Alright you got your pieces cut, now would be the time to make them the cleanest cuts on the chicken wire if you want to, now you need to get your trap started, you will want to make 3 of the sides solid as in they will not move, and the bottom, the bottom will be square. While placing them together you will want to bind them with wire every 4 squares the edges and every 2 on the bottom.

Circle: You want to roll up your piece into a cylinder, overlap it two squares and bind it. The same bout 4 squares in the mesh. The circle piece gets bound the end of the trap every 2 squares. This is the hard part fashioning your trap entrance, make a square big enough to fit in your trap and this is your entrance ramp. Make it angle towards the top of the trap. Once they cross over it, that cant back track out they hit the trap square. Once you have that fastened in there, cover the end with the half cap. Now youíre ready to hit the water.

Step 6 Triangle or Box Completion:

Well, this is the last for you guys too, the door, you ONLY want to fasten the bottom of your last triangle to by the bottom so it can close, make these binds kind of loose so there isnít a resistance on the close. Tie your leader line to the top of this triangle and run it out the top of the triangle across from the door, so when you pull the line the traps wait pulls the door shut. You can also make a ring for it if desired, I find the far side of the trap method works best 

This guide is my first ever, so bare with me on it, if you have additional questions feel free to post it and I will address them as they arise, the remake of this will have photos and such to show better, and if it can be arranged I will even do a video of me making one so you have like a visual look at it from start to finish.

Publisher Ė Zero
Motivators Ė jeffalaska , KS_Sniper
Honors Ė Busch Beer.

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: Crayfish Trap Building Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
Zero, nice post.  O0  Can't wait for the version with the pictures. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:04:21 PM »
haha thanks alot bro, just waiting up until this spring, should be a blast!  O0 Im awaiting the next version too, thanks for the info.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »
Excellent, Zero!  O0  O0  O0  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:21:49 AM »
I was hoping to see the pics for this trap...its always easier that way... but since I use crawdads for catfish, I got my own way of attracting catfish to a general area... take some roadkill, gut it open and put it in an onion sack or some sort of breathable sack,... tie it down with a weight,... drop it off just up stream from where you plan on casting(obviously a boat or canoe is necessary) but the cats will hang around there for a couple a weeks, but road kill is very good for drawing catfish to the area, for my bait I prefere to use uncooked shrimp or crawdads as bait...drives the big ones crazy
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
when i do crayfishing im usualy at a summer camp and what you do is take a stick, string and a slim jim caught 4 of them all off 1 peice :twisted:
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline john

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »
when i do a crayfish dinner we usually cook 3oo to 500, takes a lot of slim jim to do that.

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 08:22:26 PM »
ha ya i guess so
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline nscarola

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
what is a good way to catch catfish i.e. the best bait and the roadkill attractant is there an alternative. how long does the attractant have to stay in the water.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:55 AM »
what is a good way to catch catfish i.e. the best bait and the roadkill attractant is there an alternative. how long does the attractant have to stay in the water.
Until it's all gone. They love rotten meat.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments