October 17, 2017, 04:19:07 PM

Author Topic: snares and other small game trapping.  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
snares and other small game trapping.
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:18:44 PM »
well since I wont be heading out to hunt this weeked decided to head out into the woods and set some small game snares.  I've been setting up just regular snares down some game trails, or what I thought were game trails ???  lol well anyways finally rigged up my first snare that had a trigger and would spring them into the air, a little better I guess.  well what I did was clear out a trail about 15 yards long and bottlenecked it in the middle.  thats right where I set that spring snare so Im hoping that the animals will think its easier to walk down this semi-cleared path and get hung up.  My grandpa and dad said they've both done this and its worked on deer so maybe the same for some coon, squirell, or rabbit?  tell me what yah think.  thanks, also any extra info you have on trapping small game would be GREATLY appreciated, I love this trapping type stuff, just wish it would work at least once lol.  havent snagged anything in a week (or ever) but im trying my damndest.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: snares and other small game trapping.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »
Ahhh, you got bit by the trapping bug. ???  Sweeeeeet. O0  First, make sure what you are doing is legal; in PA trapping season is pretty much over. :'(  Also, we are not allowed to trap squirrels or rabbits. :'(

You are on the right track with the bottle neck method you described.  Snare on a spring stick is also a good idea.  Again, I would question the legality of doing that though.  I have just started to learn about trapping, read about trapping, and have run around with a few trappers.  So, I am still a novice.

The book "Camp Life In the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping" is a great read.  They explain the primitive traps you are using and also provide detailed description on the use of steel traps.  The book also describes various animals, their habitats, lure to use, baits to use, and how to trap each.  Big58Cal also highly recommended the book.  Another good book is "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival."  It contains a lot of good primitive trap drawings and methods, and of course covers wilderness survival tactics, clothing, boots, shelter, etc.

If you are allowed to trap squirrel, rabbit, and coon, with the methods you described, you need to use bait.  Start baiting and area for a week or so, without traps, to make the animals feel comfortable, then once the come back regularly, set your traps.  Just make sure the surroundings look the same.  Raccoons are especially fond of tuna and sardines, and squirrels love peanuts.  Set the snare so they need to stick their head through it to get the bait.  The bait should be attached to a stick, which should be the trigger to set off the spring stick.

If you want, send me a Personal Message with your e-mail address, and I can photocopy some primitive trap sketches I have, and send them to you as PDF files.  But seriously, buy the books, you can get them on Amazon;  cheap too if you are willing to buy used copies.

I hope the info above helps.  Also, sorry the boar hunt got canned; that must suck.  I could tell you were really looking forward to it.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »
Cats, skunks, and coons like canned cat food.  You can also get the coons, skunks, and possums with Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream pies.  Squirrels like peanut better better than just peanuts.  The good thing about peanut butter is that you can put it wherever you want!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 01:41:04 AM »
haha yeah, I set another spring snare tonight and I tell yah, thats the definition of a hair trigger. cant wait to see if I get anything, I used some old Meat Loaf and a crawfish I had just caught for bait.
now how do I snare a squirell, I think that would be EXTREMELY hard.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 05:23:47 AM »
mouse or rat traps with peanut butter work well... thats how I got the red squirrels out of my attic.
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:11:16 PM »
went out and checked that spring snare I set up last night with the bait and the path and everything.  I snared a possum but it was wierd because I know they play dead but the snare had got him around the neck and under one arm, kind of a sleeper hold.  he looked dead and didnt move the whole time I unsared him.  then he started to twitch and stuff so I shot him in the head.  but was he not dead or was it just nerves and stuff?

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »
went out and checked that spring snare I set up last night with the bait and the path and everything.  I snared a possum but it was wierd because I know they play dead but the snare had got him around the neck and under one arm, kind of a sleeper hold.  he looked dead and didnt move the whole time I unsared him.  then he started to twitch and stuff so I shot him in the head.  but was he not dead or was it just nerves and stuff?

K&P
thats one of those things of well, maybe he was playing possum maybe not, the bullet to the head decided that it didnt matter... depending on the torque the snare put on em, i would doubt it killed him, but also lack of a significant blood flow/oxygen intake, i would say ya turned it into a peta pet (vegitable)......
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 09:07:06 PM »
      i set squirrel snares on trees last winter. havent gotten anyhing and K&Pgets one his first day  ???   lol, i guess i dont have the touch, or mabey i put em in a bad spot. i set the kind that u put all along a fallen tree and u make little noose like things that stick up. when the squirrel runs accross the log it might get its head stuck in it.     idk if it really works. but it didnt work for me.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 02:23:13 AM »
Congrats are in order for the possum. O0 BC tells that if you get yourself a young-of-the-year possum, you can slow cook it and have yourself a real treat. ^-^ But then again, I heard that the idea behind the movie "Night of the Lving Dead" was thought up after watching BC go at it with a bunch of fried squirrel head. :twisted:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
haha it was about a week into it that I got my first catch.  just have to keep working at it I guess till yah find something that works. never done that squirell thing but know exactly what your talking about.  Let me know if it works out for yah.  Ill tell yah what though I think ive found a new time waster/hobby.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Facebook Comments