December 17, 2018, 08:08:28 AM

Author Topic: Poisonous Squirrels?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Poisonous Squirrels?
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »
I was reading an article on Paddling.net about critters seen around campsites.  The following excerpt, about red squirrels caught my attention...

The red squirrel is not fixed on eating seeds alone. In fact, it's overly carnivorous, adding mice, large insects, bird eggs, and fledglings to its diet. It also has a taste for mushrooms and will hang them out on tree limbs to dry. The poisons contained in the mushrooms have little effect on the rodent but it's thought that trappers who went "squirrelly" had actually dined on too many mushroom eating squirrels.

Ever heard of getting goofy from eating squirrels that ate too many mushrooms?
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Poisonous Squirrels?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »
See Mad, I told you that isn't the way I act all the time.

Ok now to be serious, no I haven't heard about poisonous rats, but have seen Red's attacking, and casterating Grey's up here. The Red's are vicous, just ask my X-brother in-law, we were hunting, and he wounded a red, the little monster chased him down, and went up his pant leg before J***** could get reloaded. I would have helped, but it was hard to do while RALMAO, I even brought tears to my eyes luaghing so hard. True story by the way, J***** made it ok, but the red after about 30 secs, decided to surcome to the wound.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:52:10 PM »
Attack squirrels, poison squirrels? It's getting dangerous out there, fellas.  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 07:48:43 AM »
I can attest to the veracity of the red squirrel. We have several walnut trees on our lot and they attract most of the squirrels in the neighbor hood. I was sitting on the deck one afternoon having a beer and watching the Grey squirrels fight over the walnuts. When suddenly appears this red SQ. and starts laying into the Grey's... it was a hot persuit, with this half pint red chasing the Grey's with a vengeance. The Grey's were twice the size but deathly afraid of the red and provided great acrobatic entertainment while trying to get away from the little red devil. I followed up by doing some research on line only to find out that they are some pretty rotten little *@#!'s. This is what prompted me to purchase a pellet gun... shot seven within two weeks and didn't see one again for several months, but I spotted one again the other day. As far as being toxic...I doubt it but anything is possible.
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
never heard of poisonous ones, but have seen/heard many many stories of them being nasty little sobs!! but then again they have been the chaser "dog" on  quite a few sucessfull gray kills of mine!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:44:01 PM »
     i never heard of poisonous squirrel either, but they sure are fiesty. :twisted:

Facebook Comments