October 23, 2017, 09:28:45 AM

Author Topic: Let's hear it on the bows........  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: Let's hear it on the bows........
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 03:06:34 PM »
I took my High Country Archery "Excalibur" to the shop yesterday for a re-stringing and tuning. O0  It is supposed to be done this Wednesday or Thursday. O0  Now I need to make a road trip to Cabela's for the climbing tree stand and a new target. :)  Then it's practice, practice, practice, until the season starts. 8)

As far as the crossbow goes, I plan on getting one for our Flintlock Only Season. O0  They just permitted the use of them as an option this past year. O0  I personally can't stand shooting flintlocks; too much time between the trigger pull and the bang. :-[  (Go ahead, make your snide remarks. :'()
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline DeathWind

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »
IMO,  the best way to go about getting a new bow is:

Through all of this try very hard not to look at brands to avoid being brand specific.

Find several models that appeal to you in design and features,  have your local pro-staffer lay them out for you.

Close your eyes and draw each one,  see how it feels,  see how the breakover feels and see how the wall feels.  Have your pro-staffer put away the bows that you arent the happiest with.

You have narrowed it down.

Then take the remaining bow and shoot them.

See how they feel on the release...do they have very much hand shock?  Does the bow feel accurate to you?

Have your pro-staffer put away the bows that dont feel and shoot the best.

Now take the remaining bows and again close your eyes and draw them,  open your eyes and release the arrow,  do this several times until you have settled on the bow that you cant live without.

Then look at the brand.

You will find the bow that you are most confident with.

thats what I like to do, and I recomend it to everyone.
When I release my arrow Death is in the Wind!

Throw a dart at a map and go there!  Get the tires muddy on the suv.  Trade a hot shower for a plunge in a cold stream.  Take your kids camping and jury-rig a shelter,  Saw kindling from downed trees,  Reel-in breakfast and show them that survival isn't about fleeing from some cyborg on a video screen!

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:27:13 PM »
Good advice all around!!  I personally have a Hoyt UltaTech that I love.  It is quiet, fast, reliable and just works great for me!  But just like DeathWind recommended, go to your pro-shop and try out a few that you like.  Listen to the advice of the experts that work at the shop, and let them help you set up with the right sights, rest, stabilizer ect..  I am a big fan of Cobra products for sights, rests and releases.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »
DeathWind with some righteous advise. O0  Very nicely stated. O0

That is kinda the way I bought my first (and only compound bow), until I found out the one I liked was way, and I mean way, outside my price range.  Then I had to start all over again.  It might be wise to give your retailer a price range.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »
i like the hoyt line alittle pricey but you get what you pay for . speed , quiet,and forgiving

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:40 AM »
my self , matt-swicthback set at 70lbs with draw 31 1/4 in. and i have it ticked out like a pimp-Mobile. but what i like the most is it gets the job done for me.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ncbowhunter34

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
Well I still shoot a Golden Eagle EvolutionI have been hunting with this bow for the last 11 yearsI had a chance to buy a new bow but just can't hang her up just yet so i used the money to order the new Springfield XD 45acp       

Facebook Comments