December 16, 2017, 07:31:33 PM

Author Topic: taxidermy purposes  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Mr. T

taxidermy purposes
« on: February 26, 2006, 03:52:58 PM »
    I got a question fer you guys and gals that hunt big game. I know when hunting big game it must be skinned in the field by the hunter or guide. the best way to do that would be to talk to your taxidermist first if you have one, but if there is an interest me and Lady_T could prolly put together some pics for skinnin' or cape'n big game for the purpose of taxidermy. I'm not saying you don't know how.......but it is alot easier for the taxidermist to cut a little skin offf than to grow some....LOL Anyways if your interested just let me or Lady_t know and we will see what we can come up with.

Mr.T (who always stays on the good side of Lady_T) ROFL

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Re: taxidermy purposes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:57:06 PM »
I think that's an awesome idea Mr. T!!    Unless you're in the business, it can't be something that your average hunter is so skilled in that he / she can't use some professional pointers!   8)

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:21:38 PM »
that's a great idea........i ended up with a shoulder mount on my bear when i wanted a rug........by the time i was done skinning it, i couldn't have made mittens out of the hide.
Proud Democrat

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 05:05:35 PM »
I think it's a great idea. Before, I always left the skull and all attached to the hide and figured the taxidermist could get what he needed. Now, however, a lot of states are worried about CWD and are banning the importation of certain deer parts, including the brain and spinal cord. This was a rule change proposed in the last Wildlife Commission hearing for NC, and got a lot of hunters like myself thinking, " If I get an out-of-state-trophy, I wouldn't even know how to remove the skull properly to bring my trophy home."
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:24:05 PM »
I got a question fer you guys and gals that hunt big game. I know when hunting big game it must be skinned in the field by the hunter or guide. the best way to do that would be to talk to your taxidermist first if you have one, but if there is an interest me and Lady_T could prolly put together some pics for skinnin' or cape'n big game for the purpose of taxidermy. I'm not saying you don't know how.......but it is alot easier for the taxidermist to cut a little skin offf than to grow some....LOL Anyways if your interested just let me or Lady_t know and we will see what we can come up with.

Mr.T (who always stays on the good side of Lady_T) ROFL

Heck Yea...... O0

Like Ellwood said, with the importation restrictions, it will benefit a lot of people to know how to properly skin/cape a critter...  O0

I know I've always left the neck and skull intact and would take it to the taxidermist that way.
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »
i think it would be a great addition to the cleaning section mr.T! when i do get one worth sticking to the wall i would like to know where to start/stop with the blade so i dont have a big mount in mind but a antler only in hand!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:10:29 AM »
that and skins are worth a couple bucks more at my local "fur shed" if their skinned first, I learned a couple of tips from an older friend of mine but I was happy to see the part of the trailer hitch pin for getting the tail out...thanx....I usually screw that part up a bit... I'm glad I found this site...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »
Great Idea Mr. T  I have been doing it for many years but was told by one once I cut it wrong and she could only do a neck mount for a friend. Now I have done plenty before and plenty since with no problems. I think she screwed up and blamed me. I could be wrong so I would love to see you put this on.    Thanks  Mike

Facebook Comments