November 18, 2017, 05:23:46 AM

Author Topic: elk hunting  (Read 1197 times)

Offline archeryman

elk hunting
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »
can anyone give some info about a good area in colorado for elk i would like to take my 13 year old son there on a cow hunt and hoped to find all the info i can before applying for licenses :)

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:40:53 PM »
Archeryman,
We hunted in the Gunnison area, I believe it is unit 551. Look on the map for Sargents, it's located along route 50 which runs from Pueblo to Grand Junction. Then look for Marshall Creek/Indian Creek. This is the area we hunt and have always seen elk and had good luck with the bows. 

Unit 551 is an unlimited archery area for elk and you can get an over-the-counter license from the Wal-Mart in Salida 24 hours before your hunt. With the unlimited archery, you can buy your license over the counter and you don't need to draw for a tag. Unlimited license allows you to shoot either sex, bulls or cows. I lived in Colorado Springs for several years and spent all my free time camping and chasing the elk around in this area. I have videos where over 100 elk come within about 50 yards of me in less than 30 minutes.  The Mule deer out there are like those pesky squirrels are here in PA, everywhere until you are hunting them.

In 2002, the last time I was out there, I shot a cow elk with the bow. It's some pretty good country and not to many people hunting there during archery/bugle season. The bulls respond pretty good to the calls as not to much hunting pressure in this area during archery, rifle season it is packed with hunters.   Ohh yea, take your fishin poles if you go to this area, Marshall Creek has 18" cut-throat and they make pretty darn good pan fair.

Good luck and you'll have a good time.  There's nothing more exciting than waking up to the sound of bugling bulls and cow mews.  O0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:16:53 AM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Facebook Comments