November 24, 2017, 06:18:19 AM

Author Topic: dogs  (Read 4836 times)

Offline hunter220

• Gut Pile Club Member
dogs
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:32 PM »
    hey, since i see that alot of u have squirrel and rabbit dogs i got interested in them. So what do u guys and gals think the best breeds are for the job, and how easy are they to train well?    Thanks, hunter

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
Re: dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:50:22 PM »
my opinion, i just think u need a loyal dog that wont run off and an obiendant one that listens.  when i had my dog as far as training him went it didnt take to long.  hope i helped some O0
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
 I also think any dog that will come when you whistle is good.I have a German Shepard and a lab-pit mix and I take them both rabbit hunting with me and all the guys with their beagles look at me like I am crazy with this big GSD and pit until they see my game bag!!!!  I also recommend feeding the heart and liver when you kill a rabbit it makes them hunt a lot better.Don't believe the hype about the "perfect" breed
Big Papa is here!!

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
i have a new rat terrier that i hope will make a top squirrel dog. we'll see next fall how she does.  fiest and curs are standards for squirrel as is the rat terrier. especialy the decker line of ratties.
that being said the only squirrel dog i ever had before was a little male chijuajua that hated squirrel and would chase them up trees and bark like crazy t them.  he was always good for a few squirrels.
any dog that will scent them, see them and chase them will work.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
....These fellows have good comentary for you. As a dedicated rabbit hunter,the beagle is ,of course,a top dog,but any breed that will be obiediant to it's master and has the spirit and desire for the hunt will do well for you. You already know i've got rat terriers (the original fiest) so i'm predjudiced. The Rat Terrier has tons of desire to hunt! He only requires some training to focus on what is wanted of him. He,s got a great nose,nearly the equal of the hounds,he's got a fearless hunters heart,and will do well on cougar,coon,bear,and hog if trained to go to that scent. Teddy Roosevelt our greatest hunter/president,used Rat Terriers on his cougar and bear hunting trips.
          .The standard size Rat Terriers are great squirrel dogs,easy to train,since Rat Terriers are amoung the very smartest of dogs.Decker size Rat Terriers can be used on larger game also,and are equaly intelligent ,and less hyperactive than the smaller terriers.
       .Rat terriers come in several sizes,the "toy" size is generaly under 10" and 8 lbs full grown,more hyper than larger sizes by virtue of the Chihaua (sp?) that was bred into the Terrier to diminish his size.The standard size generaly produces dogs around13-15" tall and females about 12-14lb. , or 16-20lb. males..The deckers are up to 16-20"tall and weigh sometimes as much as 40 lbs in males,females are a bit smaller. My male Decker is 17" tall and weighs 32lbs.He's a tireless hunter,but seldom ranges further than a couple hundred yards from me. He'll keep his eye on me and follow my route through the forrest,returning to check in every little bit if he hasn't hit on a squirrel. He also will drive thickets on command and follow hand signals at a distance,so a rabbit is all the same to him as a squirrel.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 02:34:43 AM »
That sounds like a great dog you got there, olhippie.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:48:53 AM »
I agree, #1, the dog has to obey. I read  an article about using cats for squirrel hunting, so I live trapped a feral cat and tied it out in the squirrel timber. Getting the cat to the selected spot was a heroic effort because the critters are all teeth, claws, and attitude. They are supposed to lure the squackers into a barking frenzy. It didn't work, the dang cat just loafed around as soon as he realized he was anchored well and wasn't going anywhere soon. I would have gladly traded the cat for a good dog. The squirrels I did shoot that morning didn't even respond to the feline decoy because the cat decided to snooze more than earn his keep. How about the cat? Well, I couldn't turn him loose, he was a feral cat, and he showed only aggression at my attempts of friendship. He didn't even like my truck. To put him back into the live trap was a useless gesture, he was rated as the #1 varmint by my standards. So, that left me with one choice.  :twisted: CCI Stingers, you gotta love them!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »
...John, I've got a 'cat' dog too. I 'inherited' a beautiful female Rottwhiler when my son Hiram moved and had no fenced yard to keep her. She's a great cat dog! No neighborhood cat dares to cross our yard,it's a terminal sentence to even try. "Burly Girl" is a big lovable sweetheart of a dog,about 110lbs of puppy who loves to cuddle.BUT she's the lord of her yard! Any animal who ventures into her domain does so at it's own peril,CATS especialy!That goes for any city allet 'cats' the two legged kind, that might be up to no good .To enter my yard you need my permission,so I can clear you with Burly Girl.
         She's made truce with my Rats of course,every once in awhile Georgia Mae Jingle (my alpha 20lb. female)gets her dander up,and savages Burly Girl's nose. Burly Girl's good about it. I'm sure she could kill the smaller terrier,but hasn't the heart for it..
         Burly Girl eats as much as all my rat terriers together,but she pays her way as 'castle' guard.When I'm not home I can leave the front door open,it'd cost a leg to enter in!

Offline curdawgs1976

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 05:11:38 PM »
JOHN,
I SQUIRREL AND COON HUNT JUST LIKE I GET UP AND BREATHE AIR IT IS THE THIRD LOVE OF MY LIFE NEXT TO MY WIFE AND KIDS AND THERE ARE SEVERAL BREEDS THAT WILL FILL THE BILL OF MULTI PURPOSE DOG IN MY OPINION A MOUNTAIN CUR OR CUR HOUND CROSS WOULD BE JUST THE THING FOR YOU MY FEMALE CUR WILL TREE ANYTHING THAT WILL CLIMB DURING THE DAY BUT IS STRICTLY A COON DOG AT NIGHT BECAUSE OF HER INTELLIGENCE I HAVE NEVER TRIED HER ON RABBITS BUT IF I ASKED HER TO RUN ONE I HAD JUMPED I THINK SHE WOULD AS FAR AS OLHIPPIE SAYING THAT RATTIES HAVE AS GOOD A NOSE AS A HOUND HE IS VERY VERY WRONG I ALSO OWN A MINI RAT AND HE IS MAKING A GOOD SQ. DOG AND WILL PROBABLY MAKE A FAIR COON DOG AS HIS DAD AND MOM WERE EQUALLY GOOD ON BOTH BUT THEY CAN'T SMELL LIKE A HOUND THEY ARE MOSTLY SIGHT TREERS BUT SOME WILL LEARN TO USE THEIR NOSE THEY JUST AREN'T DESIGNED TO TRACK LIKE A HOUND.CURS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE AN ALL PURPOSE DOG THEY WILL GLADLY WORK STOCK TREE GAME AND GUARD THE HOUSE AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOW THEM WHAT IT IS YOU WANT THEM TO DO. HOPE THAT SOME OF THIS IS HELPFUL PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE AT ANY TIME IN YOUR QUEST FOR A SQ. DOG

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 07:15:22 PM »
I am not the expert on squirrel dogs, but my Airedale does a fine job.  I shot a squirrel he was looking at in a tree when he was abut 6mo old, and now he is always on the lookout for the tree rats.  He doesn't usually bark at them, but he tries to climb the trees and alerts me to their presence.  If you want a hardcore squirrel dog, then the above mentioned advice by some of the more experienced squirrel hunters is priceless.  If you just want to have some help in the woods, shoot one out of a tree for your buddy and let him play with it..it always seems to up my Airedale's drive when he gets to mess with a few that weren't "quite dead" when he got to them.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Facebook Comments