November 23, 2017, 04:14:35 AM

Author Topic: dogs  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: dogs
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »
JOHN,
I SQUIRREL AND COON HUNT JUST LIKE I GET UP AND BREATHE AIR IT IS THE THIRD LOVE OF MY LIFE NEXT TO MY WIFE AND KIDS AND THERE ARE SEVERAL BREEDS THAT WILL FILL THE BILL OF MULTI PURPOSE DOG IN MY OPINION A MOUNTAIN CUR OR CUR HOUND CROSS WOULD BE JUST THE THING FOR YOU MY FEMALE CUR WILL TREE ANYTHING THAT WILL CLIMB DURING THE DAY BUT IS STRICTLY A COON DOG AT NIGHT BECAUSE OF HER INTELLIGENCE I HAVE NEVER TRIED HER ON RABBITS BUT IF I ASKED HER TO RUN ONE I HAD JUMPED I THINK SHE WOULD AS FAR AS OLHIPPIE SAYING THAT RATTIES HAVE AS GOOD A NOSE AS A HOUND HE IS VERY VERY WRONG I ALSO OWN A MINI RAT AND HE IS MAKING A GOOD SQ. DOG AND WILL PROBABLY MAKE A FAIR COON DOG AS HIS DAD AND MOM WERE EQUALLY GOOD ON BOTH BUT THEY CAN'T SMELL LIKE A HOUND THEY ARE MOSTLY SIGHT TREERS BUT SOME WILL LEARN TO USE THEIR NOSE THEY JUST AREN'T DESIGNED TO TRACK LIKE A HOUND.CURS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE AN ALL PURPOSE DOG THEY WILL GLADLY WORK STOCK TREE GAME AND GUARD THE HOUSE AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOW THEM WHAT IT IS YOU WANT THEM TO DO. HOPE THAT SOME OF THIS IS HELPFUL PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE AT ANY TIME IN YOUR QUEST FOR A SQ. DOG

hey curdawg, turn it down a little budd, we are right here.. and welcome to the fold...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 02:03:21 AM »
JOHN,
I SQUIRREL AND COON HUNT JUST LIKE I GET UP AND BREATHE AIR IT IS THE THIRD LOVE OF MY LIFE NEXT TO MY WIFE AND KIDS AND THERE ARE SEVERAL BREEDS THAT WILL FILL THE BILL OF MULTI PURPOSE DOG IN MY OPINION A MOUNTAIN CUR OR CUR HOUND CROSS WOULD BE JUST THE THING FOR YOU MY FEMALE CUR WILL TREE ANYTHING THAT WILL CLIMB DURING THE DAY BUT IS STRICTLY A COON DOG AT NIGHT BECAUSE OF HER INTELLIGENCE I HAVE NEVER TRIED HER ON RABBITS BUT IF I ASKED HER TO RUN ONE I HAD JUMPED I THINK SHE WOULD AS FAR AS OLHIPPIE SAYING THAT RATTIES HAVE AS GOOD A NOSE AS A HOUND HE IS VERY VERY WRONG I ALSO OWN A MINI RAT AND HE IS MAKING A GOOD SQ. DOG AND WILL PROBABLY MAKE A FAIR COON DOG AS HIS DAD AND MOM WERE EQUALLY GOOD ON BOTH BUT THEY CAN'T SMELL LIKE A HOUND THEY ARE MOSTLY SIGHT TREERS BUT SOME WILL LEARN TO USE THEIR NOSE THEY JUST AREN'T DESIGNED TO TRACK LIKE A HOUND.CURS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE AN ALL PURPOSE DOG THEY WILL GLADLY WORK STOCK TREE GAME AND GUARD THE HOUSE AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOW THEM WHAT IT IS YOU WANT THEM TO DO. HOPE THAT SOME OF THIS IS HELPFUL PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE AT ANY TIME IN YOUR QUEST FOR A SQ. DOG

hey curdawg, turn it down a little budd, we are right here.. and welcome to the fold...

It's kind of hard on the 'ol eyes when all the letters are capitalized.

Makes it harder to read and follow, especially for us old farts.

But, like Morax said, welcome curdawg.

Currs are great dogs and you have every right to be proud of yours! O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline john

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:34:49 AM »
well, my litle ratty is 4 months old now,,, what a little firecracker she is too. went out the back door yesterday and there was a woodchuck by the back fence. she took off after him and the only thing that saved him was she had half an acre to cover and he only had 50 feet to his hole.
i pulled her out of the hole before she could get too deep. she only weighs 9 pounds and that was a pretty big chuck. no sence getting her chewed up at this age. i'll nail him with my bow and hopefully we have a bar-b-que for this weekend.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 09:17:10 AM »
Coon hounds make great all around dogs. I have an old pal that has hunted coon, bear, and squirrels with the same dogs. My Bassetts love two things, kids and squirrels. By the way, my one Bassett, Lady, is going to have another batch of pups. We gave the last batch away. They were gone in one hour when folks started to showing up. We plan on getting Lady spayed after this batch. The expectant mother is half Bassett and half redbone hound, but is not as large as our full blood Bassett male, Smokey. The pups she had have the long ears that drag on the floor and look just like Smokey, color and everything.  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:26:25 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »
If I can manage to convince the wife, I'd like to get one from ya.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »
If I can manage to convince the wife, I'd like to get one from ya.
O0 Good luck! You living in MO now is real handy. We are going to visit my in-laws there, sometime in the future. We could perhaps arrange a drop-off and a meet on the way. Her family lives in Spikard and Chilicothe (sp?). We live in SE Iowa, about 50 miles from MO, 200 miles from them.  We would enjoy meeting the famous Ks_Sniper!  O0  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »
I think a meeting point would work out wuite well. But as far as famous goes, far from it. Infamous with my wife on a regular basis, but not famous. ???
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline gottahunt

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 01:37:19 AM »
I love my beagle boy, hes 2 yrs on May 5th (i got a paper with him, hes pruebred) just that and a 22 or an air rifle.  i keep him on an extended leash, which i suggest if you have any doubts on your hounds ability to come when called.  just go to a hardware store and get a bunch of sturdy not thick rope and use it till they learn
THE SECOND AMENDMENT
IS THE ORIGNAL
HOMELAND SECURITY

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 09:20:17 PM »
    hey, since i see that alot of u have squirrel and rabbit dogs i got interested in them. So what do u guys and gals think the best breeds are for the job, and how easy are they to train well?    Thanks, hunter

I got .02 and thats about all this is worth. I can't speak to the rabbit question, but I will share my thoughts on squirrel dogs. I've had a few over the years and can't say one breed is "better" than another. I've had  "sooners" that made top sq dogs, I'm of the opinion that most any dog can be taught to tree, however better luck will be had with established " treeing breeds".  Right now my sq dog is a Jack Russell, not a treeing breed, but  she may very well be the best I've ever had !! For me training has always started around 10 weeks, sq tail on a string for playtime. Make it fun and keep it short. Work on obidence at all times, I like to train mine to come to a referee type whistle, in the woods, they can hear it a long ways.

If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 10:17:03 PM »
....In regard to the rat terrier having the equal nose with the hounds,that isn't a claim i'd make. What I said ,if curdawg will re-read my first post in this thread, was that the rat terrier's nose NEAR rivals the hound. That is true,though rat terriers vary dog to dog, as hounds do as well of course. The blood hound is pretty much in his own league,his history proves that,but even retrievers such as labradors have proven they have scenting abilities that rival hounds,and have been trained in drug and explosive detection. Shepards,and several other dog breeds have shown scenting abilities that also rival many hounds. Truth is MANY dog breeds may rival hounds,but generations of specialized training to a task have made them more suitable to "specialized" sniffing tasks,rather than the chase,where the hound is unexcelled. If the question is which breed has the most acute sense of smell,i'd lay the laurels on the bloodhound,who has scent trail follows that haven't been rivaled by any other breed. ....The rat terrier gets a blend of speed from the whippit,'heart' and courage from the terrier (early manchester black and tans),and keen nose from the early English pocket beagles (now a lost breed to the larger beagle strains)................Back when rats were even more widely loathed than now,and feared, because of the terrible loss of life they'd brought on Europe with the plague (32 million lives lost!) .The rat terrier distinguished himself as THE champion rat killer,when an early example of the breed killed more than 2500 rats in a 10 hour period around grain silos in Great Britan. The rat terrier,because of that early dogs great success, and subsequent reknown ,became a treasured breed to be kept around the farm. This habit came to America and the little terrier's duties were often expanded to small game hunting as well........... It was Teddy Roosevelt who further popularized the rat terrier,by choosing them to do duty as whitehouse lawn squirrel chaser,and sucessfully enlisting them in his cougar and bear hunting. In more recent times the smaller sized rat terriers have become more popular. The smaller sizes seen today have been accomplished by breeding (as is the case with breeding many smaller,and toy sized dogs) in the mexican Chihauhau (sp?). I don't think this has enhanced the terrier for hunting purposes,but the rat has such a strong desire to hunt,and kill,small critters,that even these little fellows often prove to be great little squirrel dogs.Some folks criticise the rat terrier,saying it hasn't the treeing instinct in its ancestry to make it a truly great squirrel dog, this is true,and "SOME" rat terriers don't prove to be competitive with such champion squirrel breeds as the treeing feist,other rat terriers take to the tree and can hunt with the best of squirrel dogs of whatever breed.

Facebook Comments