December 16, 2017, 05:42:53 PM

Author Topic: Climbing Tree Stand Information  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Climbing Tree Stand Information
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »
Okay Guys and Dolls, I want to buy a tree stand and need some solid advise.  I am after a climbing stand for mobility purposes.  I will also mention, I have never used one or been in one, so I am a total novice.

From what I hear, from reading on here and a few people's comments outside of here, Loggy Bayou and Summit stands are pretty much crap.  (Tell me if I am wrong on the previous statement.)

Stonycreek tells me Gorilla Stands are awesome, but I want some further input.

So, what do you use and what are it's pros and cons.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Climbing Tree Stand Information
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:17:40 AM »
Okay Guys and Dolls, I want to buy a tree stand and need some solid advise.  I am after a climbing stand for mobility purposes.  I will also mention, I have never used one or been in one, so I am a total novice.

From what I hear, from reading on here and a few people's comments outside of here, Loggy Bayou and Summit stands are pretty much crap.  (Tell me if I am wrong on the previous statement.)

Stonycreek tells me Gorilla Stands are awesome, but I want some further input.

So, what do you use and what are it's pros and cons.

i got one i am not sure who its made by but it looks like a loggy knockoff, it works, but it is very simplistic, no bells and or whistles with it..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:44:12 PM »
mad river, i'd have to say the lone wolf would be my choice.  it's light, packs flat'super quiet and easy to set up only down fall is the price, but you get what you pay for .  and it comes with a built in bow holder which is nice.  i love mine.  try checking out your local shop to see what you think.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 05:40:41 AM »
I picked myself up one for post- christmas...it was like $70 clearance at wal-mart...I dont know much about them since I never used one but its 27lbs aluminum and can withstand 300 lbs...I got it because it was affordable... but I hear good things from big time users of a brand called"the tree lounge" thats all I know...the only thing I heard is the tree lounge is kinda heavy and bulky, but you will be comfortable all day...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:13:21 AM »
I don't care for Loggy Bayou stands.  I've got one, and wouldn't give you a plug nickle for another! >:(  Summit stands are nice, but heavy!  This past year, I got an Ameristep.  It's big and comfortable, but just a tad heavy.  The best stand I've ever had was a Featherlite.  I left it attached to the tree overnight and came back the next morning to find it gone (this was on private land)! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Check out several different kinds.  Make sure that they're rated to handle your weight, as well as all your gear (plan on about 50 extra pounds just to be sure).  If you can, talk to some people that have stands and see if they won't let you try them out.  This will give you a little better idea about some of the things that you like and don't like.

Whatever type of stand you get, make sure that you use a full body harness.  Stay away from harnesses with plastic buckles!!!  I don't know about you, but I don't want to trust my life to a piece of cold plastic! :shock:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:30:22 AM »
cold platic clips was talked about in my bow safety class... bad idea...a full body harness is definitly what was taught... dont forget the headlamp (light) when setting up for an early morning hunt because not only will climbing tree stands make a little noise, but you will need too see in the dark while getting set up...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 04:54:44 PM »
http://www.northstarrtreestands.com/ well this might help you out some i use a treestand for all my hunting and there great good luck O0
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 05:25:18 PM »
http://www.northstarrtreestands.com/ well this might help you out some i use a treestand for all my hunting and there great good luck O0

squadoosh, those look pretty nice, thanks for the link.  I will need to do some further reading.  What model are you using and are there any particular likes or dislikes about the stand?
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »
im using one called a mini viper i think and there is a regular viper and i love every bit of it verry comfortable il try and find the one i have

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:29:34 PM »
ok i ahve the mini viper and the viper http://www.fallfever.com/Summit_SummitViperXLSTreeStand.htmlviper                       http://www.fallfever.com/Summit_SummitMiniViperTreeStand.html mini viper if u dont like the price im sure u can find better deals but this is the one i recomend

Facebook Comments