November 21, 2017, 03:53:52 PM

Author Topic: What is the best shotgun  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: What is the best shotgun
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 08:20:39 AM »
Wow, it seems Mossberg is in the lead? ???  When I originally read and responded to this, I figured the Remington 870 would be the gun of choice. ???
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:31 AM »
Wow, it seems Mossberg is in the lead? ???  When I originally read and responded to this, I figured the Remington 870 would be the gun of choice. ???

mad,mad,mad.....  ^-^  though the 870 is a good/great gun, its a little more pricey than the "entry level" moss 500, so i am sure the moss has it in numbers out there, amount of accessories available and everything else...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
mad,mad,mad.....  ^-^  though the 870 is a good/great gun, its a little more pricey than the "entry level" moss 500, so i am sure the moss has it in numbers out there, amount of accessories available and everything else...

Everyone raves about the Remington 870 and how great it is, but so far, in this thread, the Mossberg seems to be the preferred shot gun.  Every pump shot gun rating scale I have ever seen puts the Remington 870 at the top of the list.  I was trying to say it is interesting that the Mossberg was in the lead, that's all.

Personally, I would take the Mossberg over the Remington any day of the week, just because of the safety location.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:52:42 AM »
just because of the safety location.

Gook Call... O0  That is the main reason I like it better....maybe there are a lot of leftys that think the way I do.... ???
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 11:56:45 AM »
Wow I'm shocked it seems like a lot of people here like the real low end shotguns!!!!  Where I live you can't use a rifle for deer hunting so shotguns rule and most people have higher end shot guns. But a lot of the younger hunters use the lower end ones too.  I still say Browning A-5 rules

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 01:11:20 PM »
...a Browning Featherlite 20ga overunder, boy is that a sweet gun, very deadly for phesant.... :twisted:

Not a low end gun...but then again I don't own it... :sad: 8)

I guess since you use your shotgun for everything you would be willing to spend more on one.  Me personally I would probaly use a pump shotgun for about a month or so out of the year to hunt turkey, and the Moss 835 has everything I like and would need.  I just got a lower end Benelli overunder for Christmas that I'll probably use for Phesant next year, but still that is only 2 to 3 months out of the year and only on weekends.  I guess it all stems back to what you are willing to spend and how much you are going to use it.   ??? O0
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
Wow I'm shocked it seems like a lot of people here like the real low end shotguns!!!!  Where I live you can't use a rifle for deer hunting so shotguns rule and most people have higher end shot guns. But a lot of the younger hunters use the lower end ones too.  I still say Browning A-5 rules

the county i live in you are only allowed shotgun or black powder durring the rifle season, and i use the .50 cal BP but i am always amazed at the idea of a 1500 dollar shotgun will outshoot a 250 dollar shotgun when it comes to tossing shot, sure of course i understand the differences between the two, one is tighter, looks better etc etc, but if it tosses the pellets and puts the meat on the table..

Brad, you dont skatter-gun for squirrelies? i woulda figure you and M.R. would have been....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
......I'm not sure there's one "best" gun for all applications.I do agree the Browning A-5(Remington model 11) are amoung the most durable and reliable guns of all time,and have pretty nice balance as well!
...........The Remington model 870 WINGMASTER (not the cheaper,more roughly finished EXPRESS model) is one of the greatest pumps ever manufactured. I prefer the earlier Remington model 31,but they're hard to find and more complex internaly,BUT they are even smoother and quicker than the revered 870. The Winchester model 12 is a great one too,but in my opinion better suited to the bigger man who may find the heavier balance gun more acceptable. The 'little brother' of the model 12 is the exquisite model 42. Now these pumps are absolutely a delite in the hands,but they are  for the advanced shooter in the game field because of the 410's tiny shot charges. My favorite pump of all is the Ithaca model 37 featherweight! In a sixteen or twenty,this gun is one of the greatest of upland game guns,perhaps without peer in pump guns.
..........Now if we can move to a sxs  double barrel gun,the olhippie will pick up a Fox Sterlingworth twenty gauge and all the quail on earth will quiver in fear and trepidation!*wink*
..........By the way the Franchi model 48 featherweight ,while not as durable as the Browning A-5,(because of it's aluminum reciever) has the balance and feel in the hands that makes the shooter feel like he's in command of a laser beam that points like his finger!
...........There are many other fine guns out there,but i'll stop there,and just be thankful . There are so many wonderful guns,maybe  there is no "one" best,but we may enjoy the many !
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:39:29 PM by olhippie »

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »
Brad, you dont skatter-gun for squirrelies? i woulda figure you and M.R. would have been....

I haven't been squirly huntin' in a few years, I guess there's never a better time than the present to start again... ???

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
I guess it's all about individual taste because most of them work pretty well. I started with single shots and have owned Browning A-5, Ithaca pump, Mossberg pump, Remington pump, and my latest is a Browning pump. I had good luck with all of them but will always admire the quality and performance of the old Belgium auto 5.
The price and dependability of the Mossberg in the worst conditions while duck hunting. Like the Mossberg with its thumb safety on top of the receiver the Browning pump has one feature better. It also has the top safety, but with a bottom eject. So get what you can afford, but remember if you spend a few more bucks and move up in quality it will have a better resale value.
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Facebook Comments