November 18, 2017, 07:02:34 AM

Author Topic: What is the best shotgun  (Read 5690 times)

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: What is the best shotgun
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 04:12:17 AM »
If you look at it purely as the best value for money spent there is no way the Mossbergs can be beat. I have the 870 in .12 and .16. Probably my favorite shotgun of all time is the old .16  870 that was battered and beaten,had no finish on it at all when I got it. I had it blued and refinished the stock (it is old enough to be pre shiney acrylic finish) As much as I like it when I  grab a shotgun out of the safe it will usually end up being the Mossberg. You dont have to worry about the finish just chuck it in the truck and drag it through the multiflora roses guilt free because it was a tomato stake to begin with. They shoot very well handle very well and for those of us who grew up with the old single shot Stevens the safety is in just the right spot no having to fuss around the trigger guard for the safety. In short they ain't really pretty but if you want something that goes bang every time they are hard to beat
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 07:08:34 AM »
Remington 870 Express Magnum! :twisted:  I don't know what it is about mine, but every time I throw it to my shoulder and pull the trigger, something dies!!! O0

I've shot Browning, Mossberg, Winchester, Savage, Beretta, etc, etc, etc.  I still keep going back to my 870. :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 07:17:19 AM »
olhippy... I'm not sure if you heard, and its a big deal around here since I live an hour north of Ithica, but the Ithica Arms has gone out of buisiness... sad but true....hold on to your firearms... my next point, I have owned the 870 exp. and now own the Moss. 500, but besides the .300 rifle I want, my next shotgun will be an automatic, and I was thinking of the Remington 1187... any comments??
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 10:27:15 AM »
Most of you kids have never handled or hunted with the old model 870.  With the twin slides, the gun really operates like a slick machine. You can aim the gun upwards, hit the button slide release, and the action will realease.  Then, the whole action will drop completely open without any help, gravity doing the entire operation. Try that with some of the other pump guns, I don't think they will do it.  The newer and cheaper pump guns don't work that slick, but they do shoot great.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »
Most of you kids have never handled or hunted with the old model 870.  With the twin slides, the gun really operates like a slick machine. You can aim the gun upwards, hit the button slide release, and the action will realease.  Then, the whole action will drop completely open without any help, gravity doing the entire operation. Try that with some of the other pump guns, I don't think they will do it.  The newer and cheaper pump guns don't work that slick, but they do shoot great.

ya know i was feeling good today till you said that, yeah i remember them twin bar slides..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 06:53:45 PM »
olhippy... I'm not sure if you heard, and its a big deal around here since I live an hour north of Ithica, but the Ithica Arms has gone out of buisiness... sad but true....hold on to your firearms... my next point, I have owned the 870 exp. and now own the Moss. 500, but besides the .300 rifle I want, my next shotgun will be an automatic, and I was thinking of the Remington 1187... any comments??

.....Meat Hunter, You've asked for comment on the Remington 1187. Remember these kinds of comments can be as personal  as a fellows pick in female pup tent companions. That said,I find the model 1187 a good and durable gun,which will give a lifetime of field use,however the gun just doesn't have a balance in my hands that would endear it to me. The 1100 Remington is superior for my tastes. I like lighter,faster handling guns,save for turkey,or waterfowl where a bit more heft is often helpful.
........If I owned only one semi-auto it would be the Franchi 48A. This gun is a recoil operated gun like the Browning A-5 but is lighter in the hand, and has for me, a superior balance. A larger man might feel differently about all this. I like smaller light guns,smaller light cars, and smaller light women,all the rest is a bit Amazonian for me.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »
If you look at it purely as the best value for money spent there is no way the Mossbergs can be beat.  As much as I like it when I grab a shotgun out of the safe it will usually end up being the Mossberg. You dont have to worry about the finish just chuck it in the truck and drag it through the multiflora roses guilt free because it was a tomato stake to begin with.  They shoot very well handle very well and for those of us who grew up with the old single shot Stevens the safety is in just the right spot no having to fuss around the trigger guard for the safety. In short they ain't really pretty but if you want something that goes bang every time they are hard to beat

I could not have explained my feelings for Mossberg Shotguns any better than that.  Nice post.  O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 09:57:14 PM »
The BPS has twin slides
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 06:33:20 AM »
I hear yea olhippie...thanx, I need to do some more research on my first semi...
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 07:11:50 PM »
Blonds, redheads or brunettes. Take your pick and take your chances :D :wink:

Same holds true with scatterguns. I have a Sweet 16 Auto-5 and love it, but Browning decided they needed to do away with the Auto-5 because of cost. Maybe someday we'll see it brought back.

Down South where we run dogs for deer, my Mossberg Ulti-mag has taken 11 deer in Georgia and South Carolina. Use 00 and 000 buckshot in both 3" and 3 1/2" mags is plenty potent. Puts a hurting on wild hogs too.

I bought a Winchester 1300 Upland Special in 20 gauge 2 years ago from a buddy who was hard up for cash. I didn't really want it because of what I'd "heard" from "experts" on the 1300 and I wasn't to crazy over the English style stock. 2 dove seasons later and I'd take it over any shotgun I've owned. This includes my Browning, the 870 Wingmaster and Ithaca 37. All great guns to be sure but this little Winchester fits the bill perfectly for me.

I hope that Ithaca gets it's act together in it's new Ohio home. It's a great weapon and needs to remain in the American firearms lexicon.

Hope Winchester does too. It won't be the same without them.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments