November 19, 2017, 08:56:38 AM

Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Crossbows?
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »
Pennsylvanians are permitted to use crossbows during the "Flintlock Only" Muzzleloader Season.  I am starting to consider purchasing a crossbow for that purpose, because I cannot stand using a flintlock rifle.  I cannot get used to that whole pull the trigger and wait for the bang thing.  If ignition were instantaneous, like a centerfire cartridge, I would just get the flintlock, but...

So, what I would like to know is...

Who here uses a crossbow?  What kind of crossbow is it?  What do you like about it?  What do you hate about it?  Would you buy it again?

By the way, I cannot afford the Excalibur ExoMax, Exocet, or Phoenix. :'(

I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:52:08 PM »
i had a barnett a long while ago, hated it, traded it for a win 94 30-30 then sold the rifle... you can also get a "variance" allowing use of the crossbow durring archery..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 01:03:40 AM »
 Morax, what kind of Barnett did you have ? I'm concidering a commando for the kid. We got her a " varience" due to her petite stature. She can't pull a hunting weight bow and I'm having my doubts about most crossbows, being they're 200+ pounds. The commandos don't take near the effort to cock.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Hands

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:03:24 AM »
I've got the PSE Viper Copperhead and a Barnett quad 400.

Comparing the two..to me, the Barnett is a little better.
The PSe is cool, but here are my beefs: It could be quieter; and mainly, I still haven't found sites to fit the danged thing correctly. The ones supplied did not fit them. (The won't stay put. Ended up just notching a place where they're sposed to be for when they fall in field LoL )
Other than that, it is a 150 pull, but breaks down so it's easy to set. I can't remember the fps, but want to say around 280.

The Barnett, I have no issues with. It's also a 150 pull, but doesn't break down.  Think it is 345 fps. (Cuts like butter) Also quieter than the PSE.

Of the two, I like the Barnett better. 

They're both still virgins though. Don't know how they perform on flesh.  :-[

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 05:29:37 AM »
I have an older Horton that  does a good job. I need both rotator cuffs rebuilt and after the weather turns cold I can not shoot the High Country. one of the kids at work hooked me up with the Horton it was one of his buddies who had gotten a newer model . I really don't like crossbows all that well but if I want to hunt after November it is the only choice I have.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:43:45 AM »
I got one of them crossbows from"cheaperthandirt" cataloges. its nice, I'm sure itll kill deer but crossbows are not legal to hunt with in NY. its a 150 pound setting, and I like open sites, compared to the red dot scope that come with it. It is kinda noisy, but at that speed, itll kill deer. it was something like under $150 or so,,,
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »
Morax, what kind of Barnett did you have ? I'm concidering a commando for the kid. We got her a " varience" due to her petite stature. She can't pull a hunting weight bow and I'm having my doubts about most crossbows, being they're 200+ pounds. The commandos don't take near the effort to cock.

i had the REVOLUTION XS but it was not called this, they did a little tweaking to it and renamed it.. basically the entry level compound.. dont forget though with a crossbow size dont matter, you dont use your arm strength to "cock and lock" the things, my girl could use the one i had and had no problem loading/reloading the thing and she was maybe 90-100 pounds at the time.. but if that is a problem/conscern they do make styles with cocking aids and yes on some of them out there they are needed!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »
Take a look at the 10 point line of cross bows there supposed to be good.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 07:54:30 PM »
Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........Get the Excaliber........You know you want it..........
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:00:51 PM »
this is an awesomly timed post, Ill be getting a crossbow here in the next couple of days from a buddy for free. said hes used it for deer hunting and all it needs is a new piece of chord/line thing.  I know nothing about crossbows but cant wait to use it for turkey season (25 march to may 15 down here in GA).  and after that deer!  oh yea on a side not, I work at a barbecue restraunt and they've got a smoker size of a VW bug, he said I could smoke all the venison I wanted! kick A$$! lol  sorry for getting off track ;)

K&P
Heres My Signature

Facebook Comments