November 24, 2017, 04:23:46 AM

Author Topic: question of the day??  (Read 2458 times)

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
question of the day??
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »
what do you think ?  Carbon or Aluminuim arrows..  Why???

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Re: question of the day??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »
Personally I like carbon arrows for their durability, and speed.  I always end up with bent aluminum arrows that I shoot anyways... a bad habit.  It is funny that you bring this up today...I was just thinking of asking this question today while I was at work   :)
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 12:17:41 AM »
 Cost is almost always a prime considerstion for me. To date I've always used aluminum but nowadays the cheap carbons are very competative. Carbon don't warp or bend the way aluminum will with a bad hit.
 I'm gonna need new arrows soon and will be pondering this question for some time. I shoot a light pull bow and the increased velosity due to the lower mass of the arrow= more energy. I worked the algebra and realize the increase will be nominal at best but my shoulder just won't let me turn up the bow.

Allen, what do you think of the Oneida line of bows ? they claim they shoot like a bow set to 10 pounds heavier. Now if I can shoot an Oneida set at 56 pounds and it hits like a conventional compound set at 66 pounds, I'm gonna have to consider it an option.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »
well going from the info i have gleaned from watching listening and all else from a few different sports, carbon is the way to go, stronger lighter more durable than alum. yeah a bit more pricey but well worth it though! and when you tear them up you can still use them for other projects (we used them for leading edge and spars in remote control airplanes!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:54:29 AM »
Not a bad idea thanks for the comments guys

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »
oh and forgot to mention, the weight aspect also, the same diameter shaft is lighter, and stronger, so therefor you can go even smaller in diameter and still have the strength, instad of the arrow then being the diameter of a straw its now the diameter of a coffee stirrer, so the speed goes wayyyyy up on it, transfering to better trajectory/impact/etc.
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline DeathWind

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
been shooting carbon for years and im not looking back :)
When I release my arrow Death is in the Wind!

Throw a dart at a map and go there!  Get the tires muddy on the suv.  Trade a hot shower for a plunge in a cold stream.  Take your kids camping and jury-rig a shelter,  Saw kindling from downed trees,  Reel-in breakfast and show them that survival isn't about fleeing from some cyborg on a video screen!

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 11:41:24 AM »
Easton XX75 Super Slam Aluminum. O0  Cheap and Efficient. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline DeathWind

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 02:43:44 AM »
When I first bought my carbons,  I bought them for durability,  and man are they durable.

The bonus was speed,  what I really like about the speed is speed=flatter trajectory which inturn equals smaller shooting windows and a little more room for yardage errors.
When I release my arrow Death is in the Wind!

Throw a dart at a map and go there!  Get the tires muddy on the suv.  Trade a hot shower for a plunge in a cold stream.  Take your kids camping and jury-rig a shelter,  Saw kindling from downed trees,  Reel-in breakfast and show them that survival isn't about fleeing from some cyborg on a video screen!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 06:27:42 PM »
Aluminum, because they seem to be better suited for traditional archers than carbon.

I've shoot both but go back to aluminum because they just "feel" better.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments