November 23, 2017, 04:17:22 AM

Author Topic: Draw-Loc?  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Draw-Loc?
« on: March 26, 2006, 07:11:25 PM »
I saw this company advertising on the Men's Channel the other day.  They are called Hickory Creek Archery and they are marketing an attachment and complete bow package called the Draw-Loc.  I'll be the first to admit, I have alot to learn about bows, but I can't see the benefit they claim to have with these.  From the clip that I saw, it enables you to lock an arrow in drawn position and release it with one hand via a trigger mechanism.    Isn't this simply a vertical cross bow at that point?  ???  The first thought that hit me was, maybe those that are unable to shoot a bow with standard pull, would now have an option.  However, they would likely already be using a crossbow if it is legal in their area.   Right?

I'm not trying to dog these fella's, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.   :-\

http://www.drawloc.com/images/draw_loc_unit_brochure.gif

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:07:22 PM by Gutpiles »
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Draw-Loc ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:40:17 PM »
hmmm a verticle crossbow.. i dont see the benifits of it either, like you said if you can use the crossbow then thats what you would be using, i could see some benafits IF you only had one bow for the season, and a kid wanted to use it or something, but other than this i donno..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:51:39 PM by Gutpiles »
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline allen

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Draw-Loc?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 09:47:05 PM »
drawloc,  some places your not aloud to use crossbows where these would come in handy.  they show 10 yr old kids using 70lb bows with these contraptions.  when  i shoot i need to be holding some weight  to hold steady where as with this you hold nothing.  i don't like them and i'm not a big fan on cross bows unless your handy capped.  the other benifit to these is you don't need to worry about spooking your animal when you draw back,  i feel that , drawing back is part of the game and becoming a better hunter.  all this is, is a crutch to take the hunt out of hunting.  be a hunter shoot a real bow!!!!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:40:25 AM »
For some handicapped hunters, I can see it being used, but not for the rest of us folks.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 04:12:05 AM »
I dont care if you use a flame thrower as long as you kill humanly.as for me I like the challenge of drawing the bow and getting the shot off.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:37:01 AM »
I agree with bearman...fill the tags...I've been a shotgun hunter all my life, with my first bow season under my belt last year...the ONLY reason I wanted that bow tag is to be able to legally tag another deer, it just so happens that there alot of advantages to bowhunting, compared to the opening day of shotgun...FILL TAGS...and FREEZERS....
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:33 AM »
I agree, it shouldn't matter what the method of killing be as long as it's humane and a quick kill.  I too can see the benefits to a draw lock in getting handicapped and young hunters out and enjoying the sport.  But in my opinion, with Drawloc, all you have is a mechanical holding device, just as a crossbow, only held in a vertical postion.

When compairing apples to apples, in my opinion, Baseball just wouldn't be Baseball if the sport had a mechanical pitcher placed on the mound to throw the ball for the batter.  Golf just wouldn't be golf if they had some sort of mechanical putter or driver to hit the ball.  Gun hunting wouldn't be gun hunting if we had some sort of mechanical aiming and firing device, UNLESS these mechanical devices are being used to alleviate someones disability or inability to do it on their own.

Bearman,
I respect your opinion and the fact that you freely express them. But NO WHERE in Allens post do I see him directly attacking you to warrent an attack like you have given him. In Allen's post, I only see one man expressing his opinion just as you have expressed yours.   Lighten up Dude.....  :shock: 

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
pulling out the sharpened stick
allen what kinda bow do you use?

Offline Morax

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
Stoney: I wasn't attacking Allen. I just suggested for him to look at the whole picture. As hunters, we can't fight amonst ourselves. It is the perfect situation for Anti's. When the gun hunters are fighting the bowhunters, when the traditional bowhunters are fighting the compound bowhunters, ect.ect. I apoligise if I sounded like I was aiming it directly at Allen, but I wasn't.

this is the way i took it, and i was trying to see both sides of it there, i am sure it has its place, but it is just not for me.. i am also sure some things i think are the greatest in the world, lots of people would see as worthless.. hey bear, you chomping at the bit yet for your africa trip bigguy?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »
I'll have to say, I agree with Bearman.  The last few words of Allen's post did it for me.  A "real" bow is any bow that anyone wants to shoot in my opinion, whether it's a long bow, recurve, compound, or crossbow.  We've been going through the whole crossbow expansion thing here in KY and it has totally DEVIDED the state.  It's not a pretty sight.  The debate on crossbows vs. vertical bows can go on and on, with no one ever winning.  The same thing can be argued about iron sights vs. scopes, inline muzzleloaders vs. side hammer or flintlock muzzleloaders, compounds vs. recurves.  The list goes on and on.  The way I look at it, as long as it's legal, I've got no problem with what my fellow hunter decides to take in the woods with him/her, as long as they're hunting!  It's all personal preference.  I'm not going to "dog-out" one particular type of weapon if it's legal.  As the saying goes, "Different Strokes For Different Folks".

As far as the draw lock, KY has a law on the books that states something to the effect that if it's a season when only a long bow, recurve, or compound can be used, draw locks aren't allowed.  If a crossbow can be used, then draw locks are legal.

The draw locks are just one of those "gadgets" that has it's place with all of the other useless devices that people can't live without! ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments