December 16, 2017, 05:39:05 PM

Author Topic: bullhead  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Meat Hunter #737

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: bullhead
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 06:45:44 AM »
I started this thread almost 2 weeks ago, and I have been fishing religiously damn near every morning after work, and a couple of my nights off, after I cooked a couple of dozen I estamate about 150 in the freezer,vacum sealed,but I caught my first cat in the 5 lb range...so I know the cats are starting to bite here...with easter today, its a day of rest for my bloody, cut up hands...I probably wont go back out untill Tuesday morning, then tuesday night(night off from work) ...it wont be long untill May 1 for the opener of turkey!!!!I love this time of year except when the 'ole lady asks "when am I going to get the seeds started for the garden"...I usually just say tommorrow baby.... :twisted:
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 09:38:27 AM »
Meathunter, a fella has to do what's important, first! You done good, fella!  O0  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Woodsman

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 02:39:41 PM »
Around here the dusk/early evening bite is as good if not better than the sunrise bite.
As for the beer buzz you should come up here & try our Canadian beer. O0

Best Wishes
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 02:42:52 PM by Woodsman »
Living proof that beer builds better bellies.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 07:37:20 AM »
Meathunter, a fella has to do what's important, first! You done good, fella!  O0  :)

LOL.... :D I get at least a couple every morning after work, I got like a 1 pounder cat this morning, doesnt matter anymore, all I know is my "food saver" is getting its money's worth...but I'm looking to top my personal best of 7 lbs catfish...its a long shot from 32 lbs NY channel cat record, but one day it may be possible...

p.s. my ole lady isnt impressed by all the fish I catch...I just do it because I can...and vacuum seal them.... O0
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »
The bullheads here bite all day long. Worms and bird cutbait  works very well. A piece of gizzard will catch quite a few before the piece of bait finally gives out.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 08:37:15 AM »
Around here the dusk/early evening bite is as good if not better than the sunrise bite.
As for the beer buzz you should come up here & try our Canadian beer. O0

Best Wishes

actually the one canadian beer that I tried and actually enjoyed is the Kingston Brewery's "Dragons Breath"...its a Pale Ale, kinda bitter, but its definitly my kind of beer...I usually drink cheap stuff on a regular basis, but I love a good pale ale or I.P.A. its usually a bigger beer than your average...but definitly worth the money, my second favorite would be Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...not as big as dragons breath, but definitly smooth...other wise if I'm buying on a weekly basis its Natural Ice, 5.9%...

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »
i'm just curious,
you guys actually eat bullhead??  there are swarms of them up here, but they are usually littered on the rock below the dam, from people just trying to rid the river of them.----how do you prepare them?
Proud Democrat

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 09:59:10 PM »
Yeah If the water is clean. I fillet them and fry like normal some might have fat on the top edge of fillet cut that out they are as good as other cats except Flatheads they are #1 .

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
Yeah If the water is clean. I fillet them and fry like normal some might have fat on the top edge of fillet cut that out they are as good as other cats except Flatheads they are #1 .
Spoken by a well informed and experienced cat fisherman!  O0 Also, the small bullheads are great flathead bait.

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
Good Idea John ,I havent thought of using them for bait. I usually use live bream but I might try some bullheads. I have noticed when catfishing if the bullheads arent biting there is usually some big cats around.

I caught a Flathead in Santee SC that weighed 64 pounds it was the best eating I ever had. I filleted it got 2 giant fillets and cut them crossways like steaks about 3/4 inch thick it was deliscious white meat some of the best fish I have ever eaten.

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Facebook Comments