December 15, 2017, 02:59:29 PM

Author Topic: The crazy Turkey weekend!!  (Read 824 times)

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
The crazy Turkey weekend!!
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:35:42 PM »
This weekend (Saturday) marked the beginning of Spring Turkey season here in Texas.  It was an interesting weekend to say the least.  I was a nervous wreck because I had five clients coming to hunt, and the turkeys had suddenly all gone silent.  Last week they were everywhere gobbling their heads off, but during my scouting trips (wed through Friday) I hadn't heard, let alone seen, a bird!  To top it off my first group got held up at home and didn't arrive until 10:30am on sat.  I headed out with one of the bow hunters immediately with my pop-up blind and decoy in hopes of getting on some birds before lunch.  We hadn't gone more than 75yards from camp when these two thundering gobbles exploded from the woods immediately (100 yards + - ) to our right, without me calling at all!  We dropped our stuff and threw up the pop-up and put out the decoy.  I let out a few quiet yelps and got cutoff by the birds double gobbling!!  I can't tell you how relieved I was to have talking birds, let alone how excited I was at the situation that was unfolding.  I started to call again but the birds cut me off...and they were coming right at us on the dubble.  At this point things unfolded more perfectly than they should have.  The two massive gobblers walked out of the woods 25 yards ahead of us, stepped behind a bush giving my client a chance to draw his bow and then proceeded to come out from behind the bush in full strut!!  My thoughts were of a quick score, excited clients, big tips and a great weekend... But I was wrong, at least in part!!  I can see my guy shaking out of the corner of my eye and a few of my hopes began to dwindle right as he released his arrow.  Now, I don't claim to be a competition target shooter.. But I can get an arrow within 3 feet of a turkey at 25yards... I guess I was the only one in the blind at that time with such skill.  As I tracked the path of the arrow with my eyes I diffidently did not see it collide with, or even get close to a turkey.  For a second I thought there must have been another bird I didn't see that he was shooting at...Nope..  To both of our amazement the birds cooperated and gobbled at the sound of his bow and just continued to strut in the opening.  "Bad Shot" knocked another arrow and drew back.  Both birds saw this motion and quit strutting and stared at the blind.  At this point arrow number two was in the air, but I think he was shooting at the TURKEY VULTURE circling overhead who had spied our dumb birds and thought he was about to be provided with an easy meal.  Those two boys got the hell out of Dodge and left me staring at my client who looks like someone has just ran over his dog.  We went back to camp to check his sites and amid much ribbing from his two buddies he stuck six arrows into a 3 inch circle from anywhere between 15 and 30 yards!  Turkey Fever strikes again!!  Later he stuck a great bird from 30 yards and both his buddies scored with their shotguns.  Not all bad at all despite a rocky start!!

The next day my clients from Mexico showed up ready to hunt... at 4:30 in the morning!!!  They didn't understand why I wasn't ready to hit the woods right then.  I got them calmed down, took away their coffee (drank most of it after walking around the corner  ;D) and took them to the Hunters camp to put their stuff away.  We were all out in the woods and ready to go before first light and were rewarded with complete silence for the entire morning.  Vanishing Turkeys strike again!!  We hunted hard all day, and finally got into some birds at almost 6:00pm.  The lady put down a big gobbler and another smallish tom with one shot from her 12ga, and then tried to blame me after I told her to wait until they moved apart.  We got things worked out with out any sore feelings and her husband nailed a tom that had an 11 inch beard this morning.  All in all it was a good weekend.. just a little crazy. 

As a side note, I almost got a turkey her about an hour ago, but they seem to be immune to my arrows this year.  But we won't talk about that....
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: The crazy Turkey weekend!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:48:22 AM »
nice the way things have of working out there.. I always KNEW there was a turkey fever! good deal all the way around though.. funny how it is always thier good fortune but your fault if something goes wrong....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
That sounds like a wild weekend, AB! You did really good, considering what you was up against.  :)  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:10:59 AM »
Thanks... It is really true about the your fault when things go bad deal... But like you said..It could have been a lot worse  :)
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »
AB sounds like a good hunt, thanks for the details.  O0
      Marlin.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Facebook Comments