December 11, 2017, 06:09:00 AM

Author Topic: Compound vs Re-curve  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Compound vs Re-curve
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
Several years ago I bought a Brand Spanking New High Country Excalibur Compound Bow, with serious deer hunting intentions.  I shot that thing for months and got quite good with it.  Literally, I could hold about a six inch group at fifty yards.  I was amazed with the bow and how well it performed.  I was ready.

Then, all of a sudden, life hit.  I got a real job.  I got me one of those wives everyone always raves about.  She even brought along two of of those little ones, that are quite large and expensive now.  Having a wife and kids, I had to get a house to fit them into.  Along with the wife, kids, and house, we had to have a dog and cat.  Needless to say, that bow somehow found it's way to the attic and was forgotten about.  Until now.

So, I took the High Country Excalibur to the Bow Shop, had it re-strung, cleaned up, new peep site added, new string silencers added, etc.  The guy there helped me get the peep site lined up and got me hitting the paper at twenty yards.

In addition to the Excalibur, I took the old recurve bow my dad gave me, when I was about 8, in for an inspection and a new string.  I plan on using the re-curve for some carp fishing.

To get to my point.  I have been shooting a dozen arrows every evening with the Excalibur.  I have twenty yards measured out and have an 18" x 18" foam target.  I never miss the target, but I cannot get any consistency, none.  My arrows are all over the place.  Remembering the fact that I could easily hit a snuff can at forty yards with this bow, a number of years ago, is driving me nuts.

I have checked over the bow and everything is tight = sites, rest, overdraw, quiver, etc.  My kisser button is always hitting the same spot in the corner of my mouth and is not moving.  The peep site is locked in place on my string.  My Scott release is fine.  The nock points have not moved.  So, I am a little stumped as to why my accuracy is suffering.  Any suggestions?  Any advise?

Yesterday, I was not in the mood to shoot the Excalibur, so I pulled out the re-curve bow.  This bow is probably about 40 years old or older.  It is a 54" Shakespear Sierra 45# Re-curve Bow.  I haven't shot this bow since I was about 12 or 13, and I am now 34.  I take the bow to my twenty yard mark, nock an Easton XX75, pull back and release.  Dead Center.  Nock another.  Dead Center.  Nock another.  Dead Center.  All three arrows, from twenty yards, were all touching eachother, right in the center of the target.  (This bow has no sights or kisser button, just a hard nocking point, and I was releasing off the fingers.)   I was in shock.  So, I tried again.  Same thing, all three arrows touching in the center of the target.  How can this be?  I take and go into the center of the next door neighbor's yard.  I am now about 35 yards away from the target.  I shoot three more arrows.  They all fell into the center of a six inch circle at the center of the target.

If I cannot get my Excalibur tuned, I might be forced to go back to the Re-curve.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: Compound vs Re-curve
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »
Double check the center line. You may need to adjust your rest, left - right or up - down.    Also, you may need to check to make sure the cams bushings are still tight by seeing if you can move them on their axle. 

Just some things I would double check. 

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »
Have your bow shop check the pull weight on both limbs. If you left it stored for years, under tension, the limbs may have lost some of their "oomph". This happened to me with my old Fred Bear, but a few turns on the screws to get the limbs balanced put me right back on target. Now at the end of every season, I slip the cables off the intermediate pulleys and "relax" the bow. It doesn't take much force difference on the limbs to start your arrow oscillating and really open the groups up. Since I started letting the tension off, the bow has remained on the mark year after year.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:25:38 PM »
I went back to a recurve when I hit 38.

Prior to that time I'd always been a compound user. I'd been fairly good with a compound over the years. I've taken whitetails, hogs and even an antelope in New Mexico.

But as the years went by it seemed bows became more complex and more crap came out to put on them and if you didn't have said crap....Well, you wouldn't be successful. Some compound bows were more pricey than a good rifle and scope.

I finally said to he** with it and sold all my compound stuff and bought a Bear Kodiak Magnum, later I got a Bob Allen and 4 years ago got a Black Widow.

I've really gotten into traditional shooting and while my stuff ain't cheap (I don't have a wife or kids) I can honestly say it's brought the thrill back to hunting that I'd been losing over the past years.

I'm not saying to chuck your compound, but don't sell your recurve short either. Last season I killed the biggest deer on our lease during bow season and I was the only one shooting a recurve. It's a challenge to shoot traditional. Much more so than a compound and I truly believe makes you a better all around hunter. IMHO.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:30:31 PM »
Have you ever been in an attic during the middle of summer?  It's just a little "warm" up there.  You should probably check the limbs to see if they warped on you.  Fiberglass under pressure doesn't like high heat!

As far as the recurve vs. the compound...........it doesn't really make a hill of beans difference (or at least it shouldn't at least).  As long as you're out hunting, happy, and enjoying yourself and nature, that's all that should matter! :) 
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »
well,,, as a recurve shooter,,,, damn you! i been working for 50 years on it and can't do that. throw that stupid compound back in the attic where it belongs and go have some fun.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 02:49:01 PM »
well,,, as a recurve shooter,,,, damn you! i been working for 50 years on it and can't do that. throw that stupid compound back in the attic where it belongs and go have some fun.

Well John, that accuracy fell apart a little with regular shooting.  With the Recurve, right now, I can hold about a 4" Pattern at 25 Yards.  Which seems okay to me from a recurve bow that is almost 40 some years old.  I am not even going to mention the current status of my compound bow.

What are you shooting?  I am considering ditching the compound and buying a better recurve bow.  Got any recommendations for a good bow under $500.00?  I would love to get a Black Widow or Robertson Stykbow, but man are they expensive.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »
i cant shoot my recurve for not. but my comp- no bragging here but man out to 50yd if it's brown it's down. and at 20/30yd robin hood-robin hood i have to shoot at diff-spots on my targets if i dont wont to keep buying arrows. thats no b.s  you all come over on sat-and i will cook up some wild hog and show you. but back to the recurve i'd would be one skinny man. O0  p.s i wish i would have never found out how to use the smileys, now i feel like i have to smiley every thing  :) :D ;D >:( 8) ??? :-[ :-X :-\ :'( ^-^ :sad: :shock: :-P :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink: O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

BBF

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:07:24 AM »
  I got two compounds somewhere, one is even a 4 wheeler from Browning. I gave a recurve (55lb) Kodiak to my son since my shoulder won't handle  it anymore. :-[ I must say it was more satisfying to let fly with the recurve.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »
Mad River's High Country Excalibur update..

Bad patterns were caused be two things.

1.) The bow shop didn't set the poundage properly: too light for the 26" Long, Easton XX75, Camo Hunter Aluminum Shafts.  The bow is now cranked up to 75 Pound draw, and the arrows are flying much better.

2.) There was a stripped set screw in the two prong TMJ Arrow rest, which let the rest slide to the side about a 1/16" of an inch or so.  Got that replaced.

After these two things were corrected, I did some paper tuning, and the arrows are flying perfectly.  Now all I have to do is some fine tuning and a heck of a lot of practice.  Right now, at 20 yards I can almost consistently hit a 2" white circle on my target.

Can't wait for archery season to start. O0

Facebook Comments