December 14, 2017, 01:05:31 AM

Author Topic: buckshot through a slug barrel?  (Read 673 times)

Offline gixxer6bb

buckshot through a slug barrel?
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
I have a 835 mossberg with a bird barrell and a slug barrel.  Can I shoot buckshot through the rifled slug barrel ? 

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: buckshot through a slug barrel?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:49:11 AM »
 Haven't tried it but would imagine you could, but I wouldn't recommend it. The rifling will cause a spin on the shot cup and consequently a circular pattern with a big hole in the middle.
 This is the answer I got everyplace I asked when looking into shotloads for muzzleloaders.
 I'd recommend using the "bird" barrel for all shot loads.

Get in touch with Mossberg and ask their recommendations, they'll be more than happy to steer you right and tell you which choke to use or not use.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:28 AM »
I am going to side with Mosparky here: No shot through a rifled barrel. O0

Unless of course it's at really close range and/or is a true emergency. :twisted:
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 11:58:59 PM »
I've got an Ulti-mag that I use strictly as a buckshot gun for deer hunting. I deer hunt with dogs in Georgia and South Carolina where they are the required weapon. Mossberg makes the 835 with a multi-choked barrel and with glo-sights which are a thousand times better than rifle sights on a shotgun IMO.

Seldom will you see a deer that's running all out when dog hunting, sometimes he'll be in a trot or a fast walk though. Since your shots are going to be inside 45 yards the glo-sights with a bead type front is actually better in target acquistion than rifle sights. You will be able to track it and follow through in low light ambient conditions much better than those with rifled sights.

In a more practicle sense, the extra barrels made by Mossberg are tough and cheap to boot. Buying an extra barrel for buckshot will not break the bank and will increase the life of the other barrels you already shoot on your Mossberg.

If you're asking is geared more to using the shotgun as a home defense weapon I would say to still use the shot barrel over the slug barrel for essentially the same reasons.

I say this as a man with over 20 years law enforcement and combat military experience under his belt, you want to be able to place yourself in the most advantageous position while denying the same to your enemy.

You're going to be shooting at close quarters and you're not going to be shooting a lot of rounds when you do fire. Therefore it is your and your families best interest to put the first round on target.

For many years the norm was to shoot cylinder or open bores in the use of buckshot. Today that rationale has changed by those of us who've done it as oppossed to those who've just  read about it in some book or magazine.

Full chokes are best if thats what your weapon will handle. Take it to the range and put up man size targets at 25 yards MAX!!!! and then try the different chokes and loads.

I've been pleased with the results that #4 buckshot gives on man size game over 00 and 0 buckshot. But, more so than rifles it seems that shotguns can be quite finnicky when finding the right load to put through it.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
I have tried this and can say with certainty that you won't hurt anything- including what you're shooting at. These guys are correct. It does put a spin on the shot charge and causes the pattern (if you can even call it that)_ to open up-way up. What few times I tried this with buckshot, I was lucky to put one or two pellets in a steel drum at twenty yards. Yeah, maybe do it in an emergency, but only if your assailant is REAL close. ;D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments