November 23, 2017, 03:36:57 PM

Author Topic: .22 scope  (Read 1337 times)

Offline jackG

.22 scope
« on: April 30, 2006, 09:11:47 PM »
Okay - I cruised by the logal sporting goods nirvana.  I found the Marlin 60 ssk I'd been contemplating, and at a reasonable price.  "How about scopes," I said.  He parried by asking what I had in mind and then went on to explain that earlier today a customer had purchased a Kimber .22.  Not wanting to mount inferior glass on it, he wound up dropping $600 on the scope.  I could pick up my new Tikka T3 SS lite 7mm mag for less than that!

Anyway he showed me a Bushnell 3X9 for about $40, perhaps more proportional to  the cost of the rifle.  The store is of course well lighted, which tells me nothing about how the scope would work in adversity, but the lens was crystal clear.  It is light weight and appears to be well finished.  The only noticable deficiency is the eye relief.  I'm sure I can survive it because I've done it on other's .22s mounted with a 40 year old Tasco.  I checked the Bushnell site on line and found the eye relief to be about 3".  I didn't twirl the knobs so I can't even say what it was set at.  The only .22 scopes I've used have been fixed 4X.  So I can't speak to the 3X9 feature, field of vision at 50 yards or whatever.  But, the eye relief seems pretty limited.  It's like looking through a soda straw.  What reasonably priced scopes do you guys use, and what sort of eye relief do they provide? 

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: .22 scope
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:50:02 PM »
Looking thru a soda straw ??? I've got an older bushnell 3-9x32 on my Marlin 60 and it's great. I just moved the scope closer to me till the eyepiece was full. Couldn't tell you what the eye-releif is on it, but if you feel you're peeking thru a soda straw, I'd say the scope is probably too far away. AS for brightness, I started out with the 4x15 that came with the rifle. That thing let in so little light , that the sight picture was literally in black and white. After mounting the 3-9x32 it was like going to a movie theatre after a life time of only a small black and white TV. Talk about culture shock.
 I think the Bushnell will do fine for most of your shooting needs.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:31:27 AM »
i have a marlin 25n topped with a bush3x9/40 and it works rather nicely.. it seems that rifle scope combo like each other cause i have not had any problems with mine....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 10:07:45 AM »
I use an OLD 3X9 40mm Bushnell Banner on my Model 60, good combo.  O0  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:41:34 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:04:47 AM »
never was much for scopes on a .22.... till i got older and noticed how fuzzy the airs been getting lately. i had and old bushnell i once used on a 7mm mag. don't remembed what it is. but on my old remington 514 singleshot bolt action it looks like a starlight scope. think the scope outweighs the gun.
i do have a tasco silver on my new .17hmr and am quite happy with it.

Facebook Comments