November 23, 2017, 02:41:43 AM

Author Topic: Old Guns  (Read 1468 times)

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
Old Guns
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
I was on the Browning site yesturday and I came on a thread that would tell you the year your gun was made by the serial number. I have 3 Browning Auto -5s the oldest was passed down to me from my Grand father to my dad to me. When I checked the serial number it said that the gun was made in 1919. My Grand father bought this gun new. So it started me thinking how maney things that I have (never mind that still work) that are 90 years old.       NOTHING!!!!!!     To bad everything not made like a browning.  This gun works like new and I have taken 2 deer with it as recently as last year.          So my question to you is what is the oldest gun you have ever taken a deer wirth and how did you come about getting this gun. I hope we get a lot of responce to this thread as this could be a lot of fun. I can still remember hunting with my grand dad and my dad while they carried this old gun.    Mike

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Re: Old Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 02:14:04 PM »
I have an 1873 winchester in 32-20 that I shot a doe with last year.  The gun belonged to my great great grandfather who purchased it new around 1875.  It still shoots great and is in excellent condition for its age.  I love the nestalga that goes with old guns and the family history behind them, and I feel really lucky to have this family heirloom.  When I was out with the 73, I couldn't help but imagine that I was back 130years ago hunting virgin country and living off of the land in the  good-old days...AHHHH back before there were so many Lawyers.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »
As Ab said just having the heirloom brings back memoires. Granted mine was new in 1981, but it is the memoires behind it the make them the best.  O0
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »
Got a model 12 Winchester in 16 gauge from 1940 and a Belgium Browning BAR grade 2 from 1973. (my first deer rifle) and a model 29 S&W from 1974.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 12 Ring

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 09:34:50 AM »

Yea I know it don't matter how old it is its just the family history that goes with it that makes them special. the memory's that they bring back are priceless.             Mike

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
I too have shot deer with Model 12 and 50 Winchester 12 gauges, however the oldest gun I ever shot anything with was a model 97 12 gauge pump Winchester made in 1907.

I shot the gun 3 times when I owned it, twice 1 armed, and killed an 8 point buck, a turkey and a wood chuck.  I am truly sorry I sold that gun.

For anybody not familar with the model 97  It was a pump shotgun Winchester first brought out in 1897, It had an exposed hammer which cocked back when the pump was worked.  The gun was popular in World War I as a "Trench Gun" and later many prisons had their guards carry it.

As for the the two one armed shots.  first during deer season I walked into the woods and sat down on a pail I had under a tree.  I looked forward and saw nothing I looked to my right and the buck was standing there looking ahead(He obviosuly hadn't heard me stop walking and was still looking for me). As I swung the gun around to my right I ran out of left arm.  I took the gun in my right arm held it out strait and thought "This is going to hurt" and squeezed the trigger.  One dead 8 point shot through the heart.

I put the gun up for the rest of the season.  In the spring I went turkey hunting.  My buddy was behind me calling and I had a gobbler come into my right and start to walk past me.  You guessed it.  Same scenario as the fall.  One armed the gun and shot the jake.  Walking out of the woods carying the turkey I spotted a ground hog.  I set the turkey down and belly crawled up into range and shot the ground hog.

After that I ran into money problems and had to sell the gun.  It is one I wish I still had.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:08:48 AM by CJ »
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
Win. Model 97! My first repeating shotgun was a 97, a hard shooting workhorse. I had the long barreled full choke that was a real duck and pheasant killing machine.   O0  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:55:28 AM »
I still have a model 97 today ,passed down from my grandfather to my dad and sadly now to me. what a great goose ,duck pheasant gun.

Facebook Comments