December 15, 2017, 01:21:56 AM

Author Topic: Deer Triggers  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Doe Belly

Deer Triggers
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:22:59 PM »
Pretty good info that I read on the NRA site: Michael Hanback:

:idea:

"WHAT CAUSES AN OLD, GNARLY-RACKED BUCK to climb out of bed and go on the prowl during legal shooting hours? I could write a book on the subject, but here Iíve got only 800 words. So letís go with an overview of five things that affect the daily movements of whitetails. Work these "triggers" into your plan this fall, and I bet youíll see some big deer.

Food
Reams have been written about hunting the rut, but the fact is, outside the peak of breeding season most of your strategies should revolve around crops, mast, and browse.

Evening is the best time to hang a tag on a buck in or around a feeding area, but it isnít the only time. Recent research has shown deer must feed every four to six hours to replace food in their rumen. Biologists point out that hunting pressure, bright sunlight, and hot weather suppress some daytime feedings. Still, many bucks get up and nibble, if only briefly, several times each day. Which means the more time you spend in a stand near corn, acorns, greenery, or other viable food plots the better your odds of spotting a big deer anytime.

Cover
Mature bucks bed closer to food sources than you think. Find a copse of pines, brush, or honeysuckle on a ridge within a couple hundred yards of an alfalfa or clover field, and Iíll bet you my custom .270 at least one good buck beds there. Thereís a darn good chance that ridge cover is a "hub." A buckís daily travels might start out and end up right there, especially early or late in the season.

Like you and me, bucks prefer to walk the shortest route between points A and B. But unless heís stoked with testosterone and goofy for does, rarely will an old deer stroll across a bald field or through mature hardwoods in daylight hours. Rather, a 41ŕ2-year-old buck is wont to circle and sneak through a ditch, down a brushy fencerowóyou get the ideaóto get where heís going. Look for big tracks, rubs, and scrapes the "fringe huggers" leave in their wake.

Weather
In November or December, when a south wind blows and the temperature soars into the 60s or 70s, I find does donít move much during the morning and midday hours. By limiting their travels the gals in turn restrict buck activity. But each day at dusk, some does get up and trot toward feeding areas and some studs follow. Set up near crops or mast or in a funnel to the feed, and try to score during the last 30 minutes.  

Stay tuned to the local weather channel throughout deer season. Watch for cold fronts or clippers dipping down from the Northwest. After a hot spell, cool weather on the backside of a front kicks whitetails into high gear. You need to be out there.

Does
Years ago bucks had to travel far and wide to scent-check scattered pockets of does. Today the big boys can sneak around and visit four or five doe groups within a 2-mile radius of their core areas. Thatís a big reason the home ranges of mature bucks have shrunk to 1,000 acres or less in many areas.

Still, the location of does dictates buck movement. Virtually any water drainage with abundant food and cover will hold at least one doe unit, and a long, winding river or creek bottom is apt to hold three or more groups. Those linear covers are prime travel corridors for rutting bucks in November, so watch íem.

Moon
There are more moon theories than protein shakes on the market these days. Let me add mine to the mix. The week before the full moon prior to the peak of the rut in your area is a great time to hunt. The does will start turning on and the bucks will go on the prowl, especially if the weather is cool.

This  November the moon will wax full on November 9. If you live anywhere north of Tennessee, go to your boss right now and schedule your hunting days for the week of November 2. Some big olí bucks will move. Hope you get one! "

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Deer Triggers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 12:51:50 AM »
nice read doe belly. keep it coming! :D
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
Re: Deer Triggers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:32:15 AM »
what do you have to say to us fl boys. this moon thing has always been a pain to me just when  i think i have it all right then ? any help will help. thanks , for any help doe belly.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »
Good post guys O0 I hunt in the NC mountains and our peak of the rut is the first week of DEC i know this sounds late but I know it to be true from the deer activity, when I have killed my biggest bucks, and a little reading.

Can anyone explain this peak rut being so late? The deer in the east part of the state rut  2 weeks earlier than in the mountains . It seems like the mountain deer would rut earlier because of cooler weather , higher elev, or a more northern like climate. Does a lower population of deer affect the rut? Any ideas are welcome

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
ncbuckhunter. dec not that late up north fl ( panhandle almost alabama line) rut kicks in in feb. so we get 11 more days of bow/muzz hunting time. long drive for me if work is slow i make the drive. p.s the deer are lot bigger two.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
Remember.... This material is over 20 years old and a LOT has been learned since....† :wink:

http://www.mosportsmen.com/hunting/deer/moonfacts.htm

Good info Stony I am kinda an old school hunter I like a lot of the older info. This also shed some light on the Hunting and Harvest moon for me . Thanks O0

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 06:59:58 AM »
stony thanks for info.  would love to sit around camp fire with you and pick your brain.

Facebook Comments