October 23, 2017, 09:58:34 PM

Author Topic: What do I feed baby Deer  (Read 956 times)

Offline Herbie

What do I feed baby Deer
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »
I have a 10-14 day old Sika doe and now a 3-5 day old Axis doe. We are bottle feeding them and having good luck with milk replacer. At what age do I introduce more substsantial food and what do I introduce? Please only serious answers.

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: What do I feed baby Deer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »
Herbie,
If you just recently found the deer in the wild, PUT IT BACK.  Mother probably just hid it where you happened to find it. If you aquired the fawns legally and have had the fawn for several days, try the following:

You should have a bowl of fresh topsoil available and get yourself some Calf Starter pellets from your local feed mill. The dirt has micro-organisms in it that will help the young animal develop it's rumen.  Cervids have a 4 chambered stomach and utilize micro-organisms to digest there food. If you don't promote the growth of gut flora the deer will never be able to digest its food and basically starve to death. Plus you will need to supply it with some sort of vaccines, since it is NO longer getting the antibodies from its mothers milk to help develop its immune system.

Here is a link where many, many folks share information on caring for newborn fawns. You will get a lot of responses by asking this same question there.

http://www.deerfarmer.com/

There are many "good-willed" people that do more harm by trying to rescue what they feel is an abandoned fawn. Ususally the mother is just a few yards out of sight when you have taken the fawn from her.  I highly recommend leaving fawns in the wild as you are only worsening the chances that the fawn may have had.  Like I said before, If you aquired this fawn "legally" then please go to the link and ask your question there as you'll get more of an answer.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:38:12 AM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Herbie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
Both Moms were killed in accidents. What else was I to do? Thanks for the input. I'll check out the link

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
While I do understand your position, unless you had DNA samples taken from the mothers and compared to the fawns, you can only speculate as to where the source of the fawns really came from. Most people like to believe they are doing a good deed by taking what they believe are fawns from a mother that has been killed. Nature takes its course and "natural selection" would've taken its course as well, if in fact the fawns mother was killed.

As it is, it's water under the bridge and now you need to keep the little buggers alive, while doing it "LEGALLY". Now you will need to clean up the legalities that you may be involved in, due to removing wild animals from the wild.  You may want to call your state's department of wildlife and get a permit to rehab the fawns.  Depending on what state you are from, it's a STIFF fine and possibly even loss of hunting privileges for removing animals from the wild.

If you would like, PM me and I will e-mail you some step by step instructions for caring for fawns.  I'm not trying to be a pr1ck here or with you.  Every spring I have 7-10 people call me to take fawns that they have found and removed from the wild, and not a single one of those people have a clue on how to take care of those fawns.  This is a huge problem and people need to understand that it's the nature of the deer. They all hide their fawns and the fawns will stay put for about 3-4 weeks after they are born. Yes, that means you can even walk up to them and pick them up at this point.

Again, sorry for coming off as a hard a$$.  But you really need to contact your states wildlife department and make the situation right.....   O0

Scott Heinrich has given you some great advise on the deer farmers website. He is probably one of the most respected folks when it comes to Axis and the care of them. I believe Scott lives in LA and he's the Vice President of the Deer Farmers Association in that neck of the woods.   If you have any questions on contact numbers to help you get the permits, just let me or Scott know and we'll do our best to get you what you need.

Thanks again and make it legal.....  O0

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:24 PM »
I don't know the laws where you are, but in KS, if you came across an animal that you were fairly certain wouldn't survive without aide, you could take it from wherever it was and call the wildlife dept. They would then give you the phone number of the nearest rehabilitators for the species of animal you had. So long as it was done with proper intention, they would educate you as to the proper procedures and overlook it this time. My suggestion is to make the call and turn over the deer to people who have the know-how to take care of it. I know the idea of having a deer for a member of the family is a fantastic thought, but the reality of it is that the longer you have the animal, the more likely it is that it will never be able to return to the wild.

Though your decision to take the deer was probably the wrong one, I applaud your desire to try and help by taking action.  O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline ncbuckhuntr

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • HAPPINESS IS A LARGE STEAMING GUTPILE
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »
Hey Stony is the deer farmer site free? I didnt see a place to Register?  I understand where you are coming from about the fawn situation and I wanted to add . While I dont know Herbie personally I have talked with him on a few other forums and he is a respectable, ethical , and helpful person  O0

I figured out how to join so disregard my question
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 02:25:38 PM by ncbuckhuntr »

SAVE A DEER BAG AN ACTIVIST

SAVE A TREE EAT A BEAVER !!!

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:07:32 PM »
veal
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
Just a little update and clarification. I never thought of Herbie as being unethical nor did I find his intentions disrespectful.  I too applaud his intentions but there are laws that need to be followed when a situation such as this arises.  I have received and e-mail from Herbie and he is in fact holding the fawns legally......  O0

If at anytime anybody happens across a fawn, leave it where it is.  99% of the time it's hiding and you just found its hiding place and its mother is not to far off, and probably looking right at you without you even noticing her.

Herbie,
I sent you instructions on caring for fawns.  Good luck and keep us posted to there progress..... I would love to see some pictures of the little buggers....  O0

Facebook Comments