December 11, 2017, 02:16:27 PM

Author Topic: Slug shooters - what's your favprite?  (Read 6260 times)

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Slug shooters - what's your favprite?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »
Here in Iowa, it's more of a range issue.  The vast majority of the State is dotted with a farm place every couple of miles and a town every 10 or so.  We don't have vast expanses of wilderness.  Most of the terrain and topography aren't suited for High Power deer hunting - It's more of a close quarters thing - short range, ambush sort of techniques.

A few counties in Southern Iowa are having High Power seasons.  The lay of the lnad down there provides much more opportunity for using rifles and longer shots. 

Up here in the northern tier of the state your opprtunities for a safe shot with a HP are limited by the flat land and numbers of farm places - Houses, barns, and livestock don't make good backstops!

We do use HP for song dogs and such, but there are a lot fewer of us doing that and we tend to set up in places with lots of good cover and terrain that provides for good safe backstops.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline sticker pt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »
thanks i tought this was why. same thing here in fl now growing fast (city's/town's) and i think some of are wma might go to shot gun ?.  p.s if you ever need somebody to hunt with in your home state let me know i see on some of these hunting shows you boys have some big deer. pass word will trade snook/redfish/tarpon/kingfish. fishing trips for any deer bigger then fl deer.  IF WE CAN NOT TALK TRADES ON SITE SORRY AND LET ME KNOW PL,
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline CJ

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • I like to eat Back Straps on Sunday...Ted Nugent
    • www.SundayHunting.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 06:52:09 PM »
Hmm Sticker point,

I can offer NC or NY deer (Still have a hunting camp in the Adirondacks)

Got any wild pig hunting available?
I kill to say I have hunted not hunted to say I have killed...Aldo Leopold

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 09:48:23 AM »
 just posted about the hog's. but in sept 2006 i will be able to take you to the place that i hunt for the big one's with cutter's that will make you want your mom. nc & ny is fine with me let me know.
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 02:23:48 AM »
I have shot many deer with an ithica deer slayer and breneke slugs, also have had good experiences with active slugs. I get  2 1/2 inch groups at one hundred yds.

Also could offer hunts in michigan for deer , goose and duck. have a couple private propertys on which to hunt.

Offline sticker pt

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 07:19:04 AM »
 lets talk ed-4

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
CJ, that is a very impressive post on slugs!  O0 The Polywad information was most interesting, too. In fact, I shot off an email to those folks and suggested they visit here and check out our Forum and your post. APROCK says it very well, our lay of the land here and the related hunting conditions. I think the Polywad slugs would be the premium slug to try. My professional opinion about slug killed deer leans toward the Polywad slugs if they group well in your slug tosser. I view hundreds of harvested deer every year at work and have a pretty good idea as to what is effective. The Polywad slug has a great safety factor built in, too. We have had near misses and actual injuries because of solid slugs on our installation. That is a secondary factor, the first being the hunter probably shooting in a direction where he shouldn't be shooting. My past experience has been with mostly off the shelf Federal slugs, the best you can usually find in a mom&pop's store in small towns.   One question I asked the Polywad folks was where we can find their dealers near here.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 09:46:36 PM »
I have had no problems taking deer with breneke slugs, I find them to be  accurate ,and have had very impressive wound chanels.

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 07:43:16 AM »
I own the Mossberg 500 rifled, and have shot brenneke and federal, but nothing groups for me like lightfield in a white box...2 3/4 12 gauge...but I must say,...since I bought my black powder, I bring that for my first shot with the mossy on my shoulder, I love that black powder, accurate and deadly....
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline SGT/USMC

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »
I just recently had a shotgun qualification shoot aboard base.  You had to put 3 consecutive slugs in a 12" circle from a tree stand at 50 yards to be eligable to participate in the annual deer reduction hunts.  Range finder actually put it at 56 yards.  My 870 smooth bore shot Remington Slugger's in a 3 shot coke can size group.  I was very happy with that being you can pick up a value pack of 15 at Wally World for less than $7.  I then tried some Brenneke KO slugs and they put 3 shots in 1 hole.  Very impressed.  Only bad thing is, I got these up in MI at Gander Maountain on clearance for $1.69 a box.  I don't have them available down here.  This is definately sufficient to put the shot where I want, only thing that concerns me somewhat is knockdown power.  However, the deer here are fairly small. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:20:16 AM by SGT/USMC »
MeanMarine1775

Facebook Comments